Fantasy Phenom Semifinalist Videos, Week 1

Round 2 of WFAN’s Fantasy Phenom contest was in full effect this past Wednesday at the Palisades Center, Buffalo Wild Wings.

Each semifinalist was given 2 minutes to rant about a chosen topic. One lucky contestant from this group will be chosen to participate in the Fantasy Phenom final round on August 27th at Bar A.

Watch the videos:

Tommy – Enough With Team Chemistry

Michael – Giants vs. Jets

Chet – Woody Johnson’s Problem

Daren – NY Sports Therapy

Jeremy – Mets Misuse Money

Sophia – Get Rid Of Castillo And Perez

Artie – How The Wilpons Spend

Otis – Revis Holdout

Shaun – Worst NY Sports Moments

Vincent – Jets Arrogance

Comments

1. Daren's Mom says:

Daren sucks. I’d turn the radio off if I had to hear that moron. What did he do? He’s like a comedian who only makes references but has no punch line. He brings nothing to the table, except another fat out-of-breath loser to radio. Can you make up a point? Can you bring up an actual topic? Can you finish a meal without clearing your plate after seconds? I’m so ashamed of him.

2. Rupnarine k says:

Tommy is the best

3. Juan Inamillion says:

Why are all giants fans 300 pounds or more? Do they really think eating all that food will make them an actual football giant, instead of a real Giant? lol

1. Rocco says:

real mature…

2. william H says:

your a coward

4. J.J. says:

Vinny and Chet were both solid, Artie made great point but I can’t listen to two hours of yelling like that, and Otis had a professional delivery, but Jeremy better than any of them, passes the test of closing your eyes, listening, and envisioning any of them as a host for a year, and THAT’S what this is all about.

5. B.A. says:

I think Daren had the strongest audition…

6. Rob says:

Artie From Brooklyn, speak on for the Met fan! Vote for Artie, the voice of the Jet and Met Fan!

7. DROCK says:

Daren from NJ was by far the best out of all the contestants. He’s the only one who’s actually HOSTING a talk radio show and that’s what this contest is all about. He knows his facts and it’s obvious he is enthusiastic about his sports. VOTE FOR DAREN!!!!

8. joesph mangold says:

It seems like vinny is the only one there that sounds like a professional and confident. The rest sound almost foolish. Vinny should be a lock to the finals.

9. Matthew Maysonet says:

Send Tommy to the finals, he knows his stuff. He is funny and radio would be great for him. Tommy all the way

10. W fan says:

Darren’s got my vote, great delivery even threw in a shout to the sponsor. Sounds like he already has the job.

11. Miriam says:

By far Daren is the best! He should go all the way. He has great energy! He is very passionate and knowledgeable, and made me want to continue to listen to him. I would definitely tune in to him on the radio.

12. J,J, says:

Any objective people think Vinny should win? It’s clear form the types of comments, it’s Vinny’s friends and relatives making the comments above.

That said, I think Vinny should be considered (although my choice in terms of passing the “closing your eyes and envisioning these guys on the radio” test is Jeremy).

Vinny’s three best moments: the Fireman Ed comment, the 8 1/2 wins, and “The Jets are like a leap year.” Good stuff. He’s very close, but I think Jeremy slightly edges him out with a better delivery.

1. Craig Craig Craig says:

Jeremy is nothing special. He’s so mayonnaise, and when you break down mayonnaise it’s just a bunch of disgusting ingredients. I mean the guy thought getting Lowe would be a better purchase, hahaha. Yeah, how’s he doing? Plus he’s doing a bunch of Monday morning quarterbacking and harping on stuff that happened years ago. The Mets need John Lackey? They have the 5th best ERA in the NL! Are you seriously comparing the contracts of completely different position players? Get real. If Jeremy wins, it’d be like listening to a moron with a good voice put his foot in his mouth constantly.

J.J. the fact that you think Chet was also good just invalidates your opinion. Stop posting here with your stupidity.

13. vanessa Lombardo says:

how do you not pick vinny. The kid has it. has a certain confidence to him and it seems like the other are one lacking confidence and two come off more as callers then a host. Vinny is the sure cut winner here.

14. ralph says:

daren looks like a big dope up there.. kissing up to wfan wat a joke… its a rant not lets kiss the behinds to wfan and show i am a loser and know all the commercials on 660. he sukced

15. hubert wilson says:

the gentlemen vinny sounds likle he has been on the air for year’s.. he seems like a real natural at this.. very articulate.. he is head and shoulders better then the rest of the competition.

16. Billy Stewart says:

That kid Vinny looks like he knows what he’s talking about…and I hear he’s hung like a horse.

1. Jose says:

I think you mean he ate a horse

17. Rob Z says:

That guy Vinny from Brooklyn is the real deal. You can tell he’s a big sports guy and it seems as though he has a personality for radio. His rant was clearly the best of all the semi finalist and he hit the nail on the head about Rex Ryan and the Jets. WFAN, you would be FOOLS to let this guy slip away!

18. William H. says:

This guy Vinny was the best by a long shot. He gets real fired up and passionate. He makes great points while at the same time being funny. Anyone can talk sports, but to be able to do it and at the same time be entertaining, now that takes talent.

19. Joe Lamanna says:

Send Vinny to the Finals, the guy know’s what he’s talking about. Vinny is alway’s calling it, like it is.

20. Rocco Perna says:

Vinny should win because vinny is sports period. Never seen a guy that is on his game like vinny. Vinny is sports. Vinny was born for this job hand’s down.

21. nick says:

listioning to this guy vinny seems like he has a knack for radio….. Wfan would be crazy not to give this guy his own time slot asap

22. William H. says:

That guy Vinny is the choice no doubt about it. He gets fired up and makes very good points while being entertaining at the same time. Everyone can talk sports but to be able to do it and at the same time be funny, that’s a talent.

23. Brian says:

They are all very good but tommys overall perfromance and most importanly he speaks with a passion of a fan while still sounding like a host of a radio show. He looks like a man who is not afraid to tell the truth and is willing to accept any challenge and that is what fans are dieing for.

24. Chris james says:

Oh man that Tommy dude really nailed it, he’s the best out of the group

25. J.J. says:

Jeremy was the best here. I actually liked his round one rant better. I picked him to win the whole thing from that round and I still have to put him in the lead for this group of ten to get to the semi-finals. This round was just a bit more bland than the first round, and it was again about the Mets, so I’d like to see a different topic from him next time, to see what he could do with it. But, I think he passes that test I mentioned better than anyone. Sounds the most polished, the closest to what we’d expect to hear out of a true host.

26. J.J. says:

Vinny and Chet were soli.d, a little better than Otis, who was good. Shaun has personality but is a better fit as a DJ. Artie made a lot of good points, but the constant yelling is too much to take. He needs to reel it in.

Jeremy should win this. I actually liked his round one rant better. I picked him to win the whole thing from that round and I still have to put him in the lead for this group of ten to get to the semi-finals. This round was just a bit more bland than the first round, and it was again about the Mets, so I’d like to see a different topic from him next time, to see what he could do with it. But, I think he passes that test I mentioned better than anyone. Sounds the most polished, the closest to what we’d expect to hear out of a true host.

27. J.J. says:

The true test is closing your eyes and imagining the person actually on The Fan overnight for two hours every week for a year.

Artie:
    Makes great points but I can’t listen to that over-the-top ranting and raving for 2 hours straight on an overnight show, and that’s the only way he delivers any message. If he reeled it in, he’d be a viable candidate.

Otis:
    Professional delivery and makes solid points. Could use just a bit more punch or energy. Not really hearing that he FEELS what he says, though the points are solid.

Shaun:
    Has easily the most personality of them all and knows his stuff, but seems to be more suited for a hip-hop DJ role than WFAN. Has a future somewhere in radio or show business, but not sure it’s with sports talk radio. Maybe on Sirius in a different type of sports station than WFAN.

Vincent:
    Very good observations on the Jets in what is still a Giant town. He’s passionate and would make a good host. Wouldn’t have a problem with him winning, but only a slight notch below the next two…

Chet:
    He’s got good energy, made some great points, hit the station ID and caller phone # the best, and passes that “closing the eyes and envision as a host” test better than anyone above except for one…

Jeremy:

28. J.J. says:

How many comments here are NOT from a fan or relative of one of the contestants?

CAn see right through you guys

29. LEN V says:

THE GUY VINNY FROM B,KLYN SHOULD WIN THIS CONTEST HANDS DOWN!..EVERYONE ELSE IS JUST TAKIN’ UP SPACE!..THE GUY IS EMOTIONAL ABOUT SPORTS LIKE A TRUE FAN SHOULD BE!..GUY IS LIKE AN ANIMAL UP THERE READY TO ATTACK!…PLUS HE’S A SHARP DRESSER TOO!

30. Brian says:

There all good but tommys overall performance and most importanly his passion for what he was discussing was phenominal. i definetley would not mind listening to him every single day.

31. Rocco says:

VINNY’S GOTTA GO THROUGH……..ENTERTAINING AND KNOWLEDGEABLE……THAT’S WHAT WFAN NEEDS TO GO FOR!

32. Mike says:

I loved Vinny’s take on the Giants and Jets. Rex Ryan needs to win something first before being declared “The best show in town”. Send Vinny to the finals he’s clearly the best one

33. Rob says:

Artie From Brooklyn, Speak on my brotha!

34. Finola says:

Good job the other shows i have seen were not so good Sean good work u kept me watching

35. KC says:

Shaun is it. Daren or Darin talked to much for me. I wasn’t feeling it.

36. Bob Cepeda says:

Send Tommy to the finals. He’s got great delivery, body language, eye contact, good usew of props. Tommy is a natural. I’d listen to him.

37. john brady says:

Whats Poppin. Shaun is the best of the group. i love that energy he brings, and the topic topic he spoke about. i looked at all the other contestants and they were absolutely boring,.and at one point a contestant tried to take his topic, but came off booooring. WFAN. your station needs energy and i think Shaun has that .

38. Joann says:

Tommy has a great strategy; he should definitely move onto finals! he will definitely persuade the WFAN fans. i mean look at the video, a lot of powerful body language and great words.

39. leo gonell says:

tommy defiantely knows what he’s talking about send him to the finals

40. Dave says:

The passion, emotion, and energy displayed by Daren’s commentary is true sports casting at its best. Not only did his comments paint a clear mental image and sparked emotion…he might as well been on the live radio with his intro.

41. Anasatia Salazar says:

Stop wasting everyone’s time! Send Tommy Lopez to the Finals NOW!!!

42. Hal says:

I liked Daren, He was enthusiastic, I felt what he was talking about in the pit of my stomach and he painted a picture in my head that made me relive those moments of agony again!!

43. Jake says:

Most of these folks were rather pedestrian… Artie had the most passion, but none of them are actually doing anything resembling a radio show… I don’t see any of these kids winning…

44. jack says:

I like that Daren guy, for several reasons, very energetic style, and he knows he facts. It was interesting to hear him since he didn’t sound robotic like some of the other people. When I close my eyes and just listen to the audio, he holds the listeners interest. I’d listen to him on the FAN

45. dr b joseph, md says:

All the videos are very good , but there is one person who stands out, Daren from Manalapan. Very funny rant, but the one thing that you come away with is that he has a very different and unique style, which is like a breath of fresh air. He also has his facts down, since I remember all of those events very clearly. He would make a great addition to the FAN. I listen to fan via the internet from Buffalo and he is better than any sports talk up here

46. Melissa says:

I totally agree Jason!!! Great call!!

47. Jason says:

Daren is the only guy who was actually doing a hosting job, giving the # and mentioning the sponsor for the event. He even set up a topic for listeners to get involved in, so if that is what the contest is for, he wins, and it’s not even a debate.

48. Sam says:

Jeremy is the best of that group. And by a MILE!

49. Rakim says:

We love shaun

1. Fireman Ed says:

Oh wow, all you people who think Vincent was good are crazy. He’s trying to tear down the Jets because they are the talk of the town. If he got a show, I’d call all the time to tell him the Giants suck and this is the Jets town now. J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

1. Shrek says:

I agree Ed. Rex Ryan is like an onion. He has layers. Eli Manning is mongoloid.

Comments are closed.