JetBlue Attendant Faces The Cameras

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — After spending a night in an Upper East Side penthouse apartment away from the spotlight, it was a relaxed, JetBlue flight attendant who greeted the cameras Wednesday.

Slater tried to dodge reporters saying, “I’ve got a lot on my plate; I’ve got a lot to do.”

When asked about being a folk hero, Slater said he was a little overwhelmed and did not realize what was going on “out there.”

Slater told a reporter for the New York Times Wednesday that he had long dreamed of using an airplane escape chute but never thought he would have the nerve. He would not get into specifics about the incident.

He is said to be meeting with his attorney Wednesday afternoon.

Meanwhile, JetBlue is finally talking about its now-famous angry flight attendant … sort of.

In a company blog posting, the airline poked fun at the attention directed at the case of Slater.

But JetBlue didn’t disclose any more information.

In a posting titled “Sometimes the weird news is about us,” JetBlue noted while it isn’t talking, plenty of others have formed opinions.

“Like, the entire Internet,” the entry read.

JetBlue acknowledged that Slater’s action has resonated beyond airline employees, saying the event “may feed your inner Office Space,” a reference to the 1999 comedy about disgruntled technology workers.

Slater’s been the talk of Twitter in several languages and a fan page has been set up on Facebook and MySpace. One posting said: “We’ve got 100,000 fans here in support of Steven. I think a million more sounds much better. Don’t you?”

Slater was clearly a media darling after cursing over Flight 1052’s intercom and bolting down the emergency chute after grabbing a couple of beers.

While some see something criminal in what Slater did, not his own mother. “I can understand why he snapped. I would’ve snapped too. I also don’t think that people who are in the service industry should be abused by anybody. Whether it be a passenger or, you know, family, anybody” said Diane Slater.

Slater’s ex-wife also was supportive.  “He definitely exited in grand fashion. He is a dramatic fellow, so I wouldn’t expect any less of him,” laughed Cynthia Suzanne.

During his arraignment, Slater tired to explain his actions: “I lost patience after a female passenger had an argument with another passenger and then opened the bin door, hitting me on the head without apologizing. I got on the microphone and said ‘to those of you who have shown dignity and respect these last 20 years, thanks for the great ride’.”

JetBlue passenger Kati Doebler tells CBS 2 his tirade was filled with expletives: “He said to the m-f-er who just told me to f-k myself, go f-k yourself. Its been a great 28 years. I’m outta here.”

Comments

1. dw says:

I believe we should all be held accountable for our actions which is why I believe the woman who could not control her anger should be banned from all forms of public transport until she has successfully completed an anger management course. I do not think she should be allowed to continue to abuse others in such a manner.

2. Candy says:

For New Yorkers, that was normal daily life in here…

3. Nathan says:

This guy flat out rocks.

4. Josef C says:

To those who haven’t worked in this type of industry, I from experiance, it’s not EASY, specialy dealing with RUDE , NASTY and not so understanding passengers. I worked for the airlines for 5 years and I’ll tell you that was it for me. So I can relate to what he did and understand him very well… and GOOD FOR HIM !!! for droping as many F-words, I would have done the same.

5. allen says:

AS a former flight attendant I can understand his frustrations with a very very small minority of passengers but …he should not have opened the exit door and released the slide…when opened the slide releases thousands of pounds of pressure and if there were baggage handlers, cleaners or any other ground staff near the slide when it deplored could have seriously harmed someone…it may seem like a light joke or something heroic but its not funny for those in the airline business.

6. Matt J says:

He should run for Congress

7. alan blake says:

He won’t need another job. He’ll have his own reality show by the time you can say “Please put your tray table and seat back in the upright position.”

8. Berns says:

He acted extremely immaturely (made sure he got his beer though), very unprofessionally & it’s one of the bad raps when dealing with the public that not all people have manners, class or the intelligence to keep his mouth shut. From his actions, he fell in the bottom of all 3 catagories.

9. Deb says:

Well, at least he didn’t have a gun and shoot everybody then himself!

10. Max says:

Whomever MGILBRIDE is, should be arrested for his or her bigotry. How stupid are you? Nothing better to say, so you bring up his orientation? So uncool and moronic. But what do you expect from breeders?

11. Rvan says:

Slater has resources – which explains how he can walk off the job in such a stellar, daring and impeccable way. Most people are living paycheck-to-paycheck and fear unemployment because they have no alternative but to put up with some lousy boss or executive named Fleets N. Emma. If you have kids and family to support, tough ! If Slater is Gay, as some moron suggested – then for the course, he can do what he did because he’s not limited by some bizarre straight-narrow-head obligation that would have kept him at his job.

12. Steven B says:

Let’s be honest here….The guy opened a grabbed a few beers, opened a chute and went home…Whether he is gay or not shouldn’t be the question as certain people have eluded. The question is whether he broke the law and the answer is yes. Is he a hero? No…Was he unprofessional? Absolutely yes. If we would have gone to the back of the plane and cooled down, he might still be employed and didn’t spend a day in jail

1. NY says:

Oh shut your fat face! You think its okay for someone to hit you on your head and throw profanity at you?? I don’t think you would appreciate it if your boss or someone else did that to you would you??

1. Steven B says:

You are supposed to be a professional in a service industry. There is a certain decorum that should be followed. I have been called many names and instead of using violence (can’t say I haven’t used profanity), I cooled off. This guy isn’t a hero….He is fed up with his job.

2. lloyd says:

STEVEN, YOU JUST JOINED Sal…..see above

13. Steve M. says:

Why hasn’t the woman that started all this by violating airline policy of not opening the overhead bin before the plane stopped been identified? She should share in this public spectacle.

Come on reporters at WCBS TV! We are counting on you for the FULL story!

14. Bob C says:

Bloomberg is an idiot.

15. Charlie says:

The article says he has an ex-wife. He may not be gay at all.

16. MARI FROM NEW JERSEY says:

I SUPPORT STEVEN IN EVERY WAY……… MOST OF THE TIME THE JOB IS VERY STRESSFUL. I DO NOT BLAME HIM AT ALL IN WHAT HE DID. NOT ONE BIT…….

17. NYC says:

I support Steven. When is okay for anyone to physically and verbally abuse others and get away with it? This is a very common occurence and it has to stop. It is NOT okay to belittle or abuse anyone in the service industry. Thanks Steven for standing up for the rights of millions.

1. edouardo says:

i agree.I find it very curious why the passanger who is responsible for this incident walked away without being held .

18. Jdymond says:

Good for him. I have recently read online that Americans are sick of their jobs. If more American’s quit their jobs it would force their employers to treat their employees. better.

19. Arty G. says:

It’s time the Public started treating people in the service industry like Human beings. They have a very hard job. I wish this man the best of luck and hope he finds a good job soon.

20. Dominick says:

Is this really so shocking? While I don’t necessarily agree with the execution of his departure, I can’t say I blame either. We’ve become a society of self absorbed, egotistical maniacs who see nothing more important than whatever their current task at hand is. Day in and day out I see people whose actions suggest that they were raised by wolves – no courtesy whatsoever.
    When was the last time you were on a plane that just landed, and on its way to the gate you didn’t see a dozen people who felt they were more important than everyone else stand up, completely ignoring the attendants repeated requests to everyone to remain seated. I cannot stand these people – they are ignorant, rude and obnoxious!

21. Reuben Kincaid says:

He should’ve just dropped some luggage on her head.

1. Arty G. says:

Right. She should learn how to treat people.

22. Sal Z says:

He didn’t need to make such a dramatic exit.
    He could have waited until the plane stopped, gotten off with the rest of the passengers, then quit.
    Instead, he created a dangerous situation – one that copycats may try in the future – and caused unnecessary alarm.
    An example must be set with a minimum of one month’s jail time to deter anyone else from attempting this.

1. LLOYD says:

SAL….YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM, YOUR DYNAMIC INTELLLEEEEECCCTTT IS WHAT HAS GOT US INTO THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE….. MAKE.DEPUTIES OF ALL FLIGHT ATTENDENTS AND ALLOW THEM TO TIE YOU DOWN AND GAGE YOU AND REMOVE YOU AFTER EVERYONE ELSE HAS DEPLANED MIGHT BE BE FOOD FOR THOUGHT

23. Andrea Molinari says:

Was the woman overweight, overwrought, Rude?
    Was she from New York?

1. LLOYD says:

ANDREA…YOUR MY NEW HERO, YOU MUST HAVE HAD A NEW YORK MINUTE AND YOU MAY HAVE EVEN FLOWN JET BLUE………….

24. Big Picture says:

HAHA I like how mgilbride has the audacity to talk about *decent people and what our society has come to and then makes a statement like but what do you exepct from gays so obviously you aren’t a decent person because you are malignant of them😉 What a crock. Bunch of hypocrites we are to sit here and judge someone. Now your going to try to judge me hahaha. Go ahead because I know what I am and it sure as isn’t as stupid as you for those that do😉

25. Ax says:

Good for him, he did not hurt anyone and looked before he leaped. Funny how the first two to comment never mentioned the crazies that rudely drives the service industry to the brink everyday! I’m sure they do not exhibit common courtesy for their fellow man.

26. Jane says:

I can understand they why, but he should have counted to 10 before shooting his mouth off like that. I also think he should have changed jobs a while ago. As for the Woman who instigated the situation, she should grow up and learn some manners. May I ask what being gay has to do with anything???

1. LLOYD says:

JANE…..HOW MANY TEN COUNTS MUST ONE HUMAN BEING MAKE….CAN’T CHANGE THE EMPLOYER AND HOW THEY TREAT THEIR CUSTOMERS CAN’T GET GUESTS TO ACT LIKE SOMETHING HIGHER ON THE FOOD CHANGE THAN A MONKEY….. WHERE IS THIS CHARMING PIECE OF HUMANITY WHO STARTED ALL THIS? WE ARE ASKED TO SIT TILL THE PLANE COMES TO A Halt so we don’t hurt ourselves or others with our “i am outta here first attitude”
      TO SAVE TEN MIONUTES SO WE CAN GET HOME AND DO WHAT……..CALLING A SERVICE REP A M….. F….., WE SHOULD BE ARRESTING HER. IF YOU ARE U7NHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE OR RULES MOVE UP THE FOOD CHAIN TILL YOU CAN GET SOMEONE WHO WILL CARRY YOUR BAGS OFF FOR YOU…..OR NO CARRY ON’S AT ALL.

27. Rob says:

After all….we are only humans

28. Stan says:

He might be happy now, but good luck getting another job. Employers will not want someone like this- you need to be cool under pressure, and he wasn’t under that much pressure. He’s a weak-minded woos with a temper- I can’t see how anyone would want him working in customer service again.

Comments are closed.