Boston Bar To Stop Using Glass After Hicksville Man’s Death

NEW YORK (1010 WINS/AP) — A Boston bar where a man was killed by a shard of glass from a beer mug has decided to switch at least temporarily to plastic cups and nonglass bottles.

The Landsdowne Pub faces a licensing hearing next month. The incident on Saturday took the life of 23-year-old Michael DiMaria, of Hicksville, N.Y.

Prosecutors say DiMaria was an innocent bystander to an argument between Hector Guardiola and another man at the bar. During the argument, authorities say Guardiola threw a beer glass that shattered and a piece of it cut DiMaria in the throat.

Guardiola has pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.

“We love him and we miss him,” the victim’s sister, Jennifer DiMaria, said earlier this week.

“He was an innocent bystander. He was innocent. He had nothing to do with anything going on in that bar,” father Joseph DiMaria added.

The Boston Globe reports that city officials could permanently ban glass at the pub, a move that has been taken at about a dozen other establishments in Boston.

(TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Knee Jerk says:

Horrible freak accident. Still no reason to stop using glass. What next, outlaw clouds if someone gets struck by lightning?

2. Louis Verrone says:

Hey Nooche you must have not read most of my response you fool.
    “I was blown away when I heard about this terrible loss yesterday. That could have been anyone. Just awful.”

“I don’t want to sound insensitive because Michael DiMaria’s death really bothered me yesterday when I heard how senseless it was. RIP Michael DiMaria.”
    The bar where this horrible accident happened changing to plastic now is too late. They’re doing this to help avoid a lawsuite! And thousands of bars serving 2 to 5 drinks PER CUSTOMER A NIGHT with plastic cups adds up to a lot of garbage.
    I knew some fool would take this the wrong way!

3. NOOCHE says:

Louis Verrone – YOU ARE AN INSENSATIVE !!! There is a time and place for everything. Go make a sign and try to save the world someplace else. This was a sad sad situation and his family must be devastated. You should take this opportunitry to apologize to the family the same way you took advantage of this sad situation

4. Louis Verrone says:

I’m not a big fan of plastic though. I hate when bars serve their patrons with plastic. It’s such a waste. It needlessly fills our landfills and the cups are not biodegradable.
    I don’t want to sound insensitive because Michael DiMaria’s death really bothered me yesterday when I heard how senseless it was. But one has a better chance of winning the Powerball than that ever happening to them.
    Plastic is evil!!!
    RIP Michael DiMaria.

5. gino williams says:

How senseless. God Bless Michael and his family.

6. kenny says:

rest in peace. awful story. hope justice is served.

Comments are closed.