L.I. Lawmaker Proposes Animal Abuser Registry

RIVERHEAD, NY (WCBS 880) – A Long Island legislator is proposing a new registry for animal abusers, as WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports.

Just this past week, in Suffolk County, authorities say they found a dog tortured in a wooded area. The dog had just given birth.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports from Long Island

Suffolk County Legislator Jon Cooper wants a new animal abuse registry, similar to the sex offender registry, where someone convicted of cruelty to animals will be put on a list — with photo identification — for everyone to see. Abusers would also not be allowed to purchase or adopt pets in the future.

Convicted abusers would also pay an annual fee of $50 which would go to help maintain the registry so taxpayers woulnd’t have to fund it.

“I can’t think of anything more cowardly than for someone to torture an innocent animal,” Cooper told Sophia Hall.

Cooper says this registry will not only help pets but people as well, saying, “Many studies show a correlation between animal abuse and abuse of children and people.”

Comments

1. DanTe says:

@ Rodin Here we go. Feel challenged? Skirt the issue and resort to name calling when you have no arguments but blather and find yourself with foot-in-mouth and nothing relevant to add.

Definitely the type that confuses discourse with vomit. A tirade is always easier. Talk about Responsibility. How about talking about feel good witch hunts that you want to institute? No censor? Sure. That’s why my other posts are not showing up.

2. Rodin says:

@ DanTe

Here we go. Feel challenged? Skirt the issue and resort name calling when you have no arguments but blather and find yourself with foot-in-mouth and nothing relevant to add.

Definitely the type that confuses discourse with vomit. A tirade is always easier. Talk about nazis, censors and “rights”. Try RESPONSIBILITY.

No censor here. Much rather show you for what you are: IRRELEVANT.

3. DanTe says:

Jan .. No deflection. Just show the pure stupidity of it all. Or have you forgotten that this country is founded on the principal of no unjust punishment? It’s called, served your time, that’s it. Witch hunts that fascist wanna-be’s like you revel in is just wrong.

Or would you like to just post “your own personal, inconsequential, vitriolic and ignorant viewpoint….because of course that’s more important here….right?”

(now watch the censors not allow this post because it’s a “personal attack” even though they allowed yours.)

4. Rodin says:

@ DanTe

There should be a special registry for clowns who mock serious issues with assinine remarks. They should be banned from spewing their rot.

Animal abuse is an atrocity against those who cannot defend themselves and can’t speak. Making light of it diminishhes and condones it.

And the connection between animal abuse and child and other types of abuse is clearly established. I suggest yoiu read the New York Times’ recent “The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome”.

Or, if you’re at all capable of reading an informed book, try Nicholas Christopher’s The Bestiary: “The human race had yet to render itself extinct; perhaps the animals were just a dry run. Once you believed animals were insensate things, disposable, of utilitarian value only, it wasn’t hard to move on to people.”

If you wanted to impress us with your witt, you did, nitwitt.

1. Susan says:

Bravo Rodin! Well said…..

5. Sane Person says:

I agree with DanTe about the politician regsitry. That way you’ll know which neighbor is full of BS. How about a speeder registry? Zoning violator registry? Lawyer registry? That one would be similar to the politician one.

6. Chris says:

It is amazing to read this because I was LITERALLY just thinking of an animal abuser registry immediately before I saw this article! I am going to compile one myself, while we wait for the official one to be operational.

7. dtyrone chantee says:

Don’t know why anyone would hurt an animal but it happens. I am in favor of jail and lower place in society for all those who hurt another living thing even if they have no chance of becoming a millionaire who can’t throw a football.

8. Mary says:

I am absolutely 100 percent for it. People with violent nature who enjoy torturing innocent beings are sickos who may be capable of far worse serious crimes to satifsy their disgusting nature. I would want to know if there is a person like this living in my neighborhood, and would keep my kids aways from them.

9. Susan Drzewicki says:

For those in animal rescue it makes ALOT of sense. Why should we make available animals for these people to adopt in the future when obviously these people have issues. Many rescue groups know of these people that will say whatever they need to say to get another animal. This will save alot of time – a Win for the animals!

10. Robert says:

Wonderful ! It’s one of the best ideas to come out in a long time, to the defense of these defenseless creatures around us!

I wholeheartedly support this proposal !

11. Sylvia says:

Great idea- I support this initiative! We can’t allow these sadists to continue praying on defenseless creatures.

12. Robert says:

Wonderful ! It’s one of the best ideas to come out in a long time, for defense of the defenseless creatures around us!

I wholeheartedly support this proposal !

13. nathan says:

It should be a nationwide law. Also please delete that first off topic, off-color remark.

14. Jenny says:

Im all for it! Where can I help show support? sorry DanTe, lets focus on the problem here which is animal cruelty and not the politicians. we all know what politicians are capable of, however this is def a good idea. I say we have a law that says pet owners need to spay and neuter their pets unless they are registered breeders. this will help decrease the rate of animals euthanized in shelters and decreasing animal homelessness.

15. Cynthia W. Wright says:

What a terrific idea! I support this initiative and heartily applaud Jon Cooper. Cooper is a standup person!!!

16. Jan says:

Dan…nice of you to attempt to deflect from the point of the article to let readers know your own personal, inconsequential, vitriolic and ignorant viewpoint….because of course that’s more important here….right?

17. ryan benson says:

If you torture an animal, you should be locked in a room with a couple of hungry, vicious Rotties and Pit Bulls. Punishment should fit the crime. It’s not so fun when the animal can defend itself.

18. Zola says:

I love this and hope it goes national and international. i have always thought animal abusers should never be allowed to have a pet EVER again as well as tough fines and/or jail depending on severity. Along with child abuse, it really indicates a sad lack in people, they are devoid of empathy and of any real feeling and I don’t care how it happened (bad childhood or not). If you abuse a child or an animal there is no going back I’m afraid – sure get some therapy at your own expense but you should never be allowed near a child or allowed to own a pet ever again. This is one of the cases where I start thinking that an eye for an eye is a good idea even though I am opposed to the death penalty.

19. Kim Simpson says:

I agree with this registry…how can I help?

20. Rachel says:

I hope they were able to save her puppies. The article doesn’t mention that. I would hate to think they tortured new born puppies too.

21. Daniel says:

Good idea. I certainly would like to know if my children’s school teacher once tied a dog to a fence and burned them alive. That sort of sickness doesn’t just apply to animals.

22. Ruggles says:

DanTe, did you not look at the photo of the abused dog? What possible objection could you have to stopping animal-torturers from buying more animals?

23. Rachel says:

It sickens me to read this. I don’t know how anyone could torture any living thing especially a helpless animal, but one who just gave birth? That is horrific. More aggressive measures must be taken to stop this cruetly and abuse of animals especially cats and dogs. Animals, like children have no voice. We need to advocate on their behalf. I suggest the abuser be tortured in the same manner as their victim as their punishment.

24. Rachel says:

I think that’s a great idea. It sickens me to think of anyone doing this to an animal under any circumstances especially one who just gave birth. That’s horrific. I also propose that thiese people as their punishment should suffer the same torture as was inflicted on their victim. Animals like children are innocent victims who have no voice unless someone advocates on their behalf. More aggressive measures have to be taken to stop this abuse.

25. Hithwith Thithetheth says:

I agree with DanTe above. Start with the Republican National Committee.

26. DanTe says:

I propose a politician registry. “Many studies show a correlation between” politicians and lying thieving sacks of turd “and abuse of children and people” through their inane and insane laws.

Comments are closed.