Woody Johnson: No News In Jets-Revis Saga
New York Jets
Buy Jets Tickets
NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Jets owner Woody Johnson reportedly reached out to Steve Wyche of NFL.com to shed some light on the conflicting Darrelle Revis contract reports that have been flying all day long.
According to Wyche:
“I just spoke with Jets owner Woody Johnson at the Special League Meeting on Wednesday, and he told me that to his knowledge, there is nothing new with the Jets and holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis.
I asked him if there have been any recent meetings or negotiations and he told me that the team and Revis’ reps have promised not to publicly discuss the matter but he said, again, to his knowledge, there have been no new developments.”
Earlier on Wednesday, Pittsburgh television station KDKA reported that Revis was close to signing a 10-year, $150 million deal with the Jets. The contract reportedly includes $65 million in guaranteed money.
With the Revis rumors gaining steam, there is some speculation that Darrelle and the Jets will announce the signing Wednesday on HBO’s “Hard Knocks.” Ross Greenburg, president of HBO Sports, joined WFAN’s Boomer & Carton to address the rumors.
“Whatever Revis does today is not going to be in tonight’s show,” Greenburg said. “We’re not going to break in a la LeBron James… we can’t pull that off.”
Still, Greenburg would neither confirm nor deny whether Darrelle Revis will appear in the show tonight.
News of a new deal first surfaced on Tuesday with conflicting reports regarding the All-Pro holdout.
Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News, who had previously stated that Revis would sign on Wednesday, wrote Tuesday on his Twitter account, “Jets’ meeting with Revis’ people tonite will decide if I was a little overconfident in my initial prediction. But they’re talking.”
Cowlishaw also tweeted, “Revis taped TV interview yesterday to air Wednesday. Not part of “Hard Knocks” I don’t think. Checking now to find out what said.”
A report on Fanhouse.com corroborated the claim:
“FanHouse’s source said Tuesday that the Cowlishaw report was accurate, that the two sides were planning to meet Tuesday night, and that the negotiations had progressed to the point where the deal could be announced in the coming days.”
However, the New York Post contradicts the Fanhouse and Cowlishaw reports that the Jets and Revis were set to meet on Tuesday night. According to NYPost.com, “All indications are that reports of a meeting tonight between Darrelle Revis and the Jets are not true.”
The NY Daily News also got in on the action. “Contrary to reports that the team and Revis’ agents were scheduled to meet Tuesday night, there are strong indications that such an encounter never occurred,” reports Manish Mehta. “Both sides have been far apart in the financial terms of a reworked deal.”
Negotiations between the Jets and Darrelle Revis have remained confidential after things got snippy through the media.
“We’re in a quiet phase,” owner Woody Johnson told Newsday at an event at the New Meadowlands Stadium. “Both sides agreed to do that.”
Revis is scheduled to make $1 million in the fourth year of his six-year rookie deal, but wants to become the league’s highest-paid cornerback. That distinction belongs to Oakland’s Nnamdi Asomugha, who signed a three-year, $45.3 million extension last offseason.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.