Cabbie: ‘Are You Muslim?’ Leads To Night Of Horror

Wounded Ahmed Sharif Tells Of Alleged Knife-Wielding Attack
Updated 08/26/10 8:53 a.m.

NEW YORK (CBS 2/1010 WINS) — Mayor Michael Bloomberg has invited a taxi driver, who was allegedly attacked by a baby-faced college student this week, to meet at City Hall on Thursday.

Ahmed Sharif picked up the clean-cut 21-year-old on Tuesday night — and it nearly cost him his life. Police said Michael Enright flew into a rage after asking his driver if he was a Muslim.

CBS 2’s Lou Young reports that’s when a vicious slashing attack started.

Sharif, 43, displayed his wounds with sorrow on Wednesday night: a deep gash on his forearm, a defensive wound on his hand, and slashes to his neck and upper lip — the handiwork, police said, of a passenger who savaged the immigrant cabbie in what appears to have been an explosion of anti-Muslim violence in the close confines of his New York City taxi.

Michael Enright

Michael Enright, right. (Photo/Facebook)

“I’m driving. He asked me where I’m from. I said Bangladesh. Second question he ask me, are you Muslim? I said yes. Then he tells me ‘assalamu alaikum,’” Sharif said.

The attack happened around 6:15 p.m. Tuesday in a busy commercial area on 40th Street and Third Avenue. The passenger, police said, was 21-year-old Michael Enright, an honor student from Putnam County who has spent time overseas in Afghanistan working as a reporter.  Sharif said the young man began ridiculing the Muslim holiday of Ramadan and then started a bizarre, belligerent rant.

“This is checkpoint [expletive]. I have to put you down. You have to bring Abdullah to this checkpoint, I have to bring him down, too,” Sharif said.

He said Enright lunged through the cab partition with a knife, and the men struggled as the cab rolled for a block and a half.

“The knife came here and when he knife like this by his right hand then I back up like this, then it come here,” Sharif said, showing the wound on his arm.

Enright was arrested at the scene and charged with attempted murder as a hate crime. His father had nothing to say as he rushed to his son’s arraignment on Wednesday afternoon.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane in Enright’s home town of Brewster

“This attack runs counter to everything that New Yorkers believe no matter what god we pray to,” Mayor Bloomberg said in a statement.

News of the attack has swept through the Muslim community like a shockwave. People were gathered outside Sharif’s Queens home on Wednesday night denouncing the incident as un-American.

“America is about freedom of religion and freedom of speech. You cannot hate, just hate me because I am Muslim. I didn’t do anything to you. What did I do?” a man named “Abdullah” said.

Inside, the victim, despite his injuries, continued to espouse his belief in the American dream.

“I work hard. I try to support my family and I believe in this country if you work hard and you’re honest, you’re good, you can have anything you want,” Sharif said.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reports

Police said an intoxicated Enright slashed Sharif with a Leatherman knife. As the scuffle ensued, Sharif was able to keep Enright locked in the cab until he found a police officer to arrest him.

Sharif was quoted in a news release from the New York Taxi Workers Alliance as saying the attack left him shaken.
“I feel very sad,” he said, adding “all drivers should be more careful.”

Al Jones of 1010 WINS reports that Enright was arraigned Wednesday afternoon and was ordered to be held without bail.  He did not enter a plea during the brief court appearance. A grand jury will hear the case on Monday.

Defense attorney Jason Martin told the judge his client was an honors student at the School of Visual Arts, had volunteered in Afghanistan and lives with his parents.

To deny bail, given his background, “I don’t think is warranted,” Martin argued.

Enright also asked to be placed in protective custody due to the ground zero mosque debate, and his attorney said the native of Brewster, N.Y. is shocked by the charges against him.

“Right now he’s terrified. He shocked at the allegations. Right now we’re going to try to gather as much information as possible and to figure out where to go from here,” Martin said.

Javaid Tariq of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance said he has little doubt what the incident was.

“It is a hate crime. It’s is not any robbery or fare dispute or anything else. Talking to him, asking him if he’s a Muslim? Telling him it’s a checkpoint and stabbing him. Of course it’s a hate crime,” Tariq said.

Neighbors in Brewster were stunned to hear Enright was in trouble over an alleged hate crime.

“I find that hard to believe,” one woman said. “He doesn’t have a mean bone in his body.

Comments

1. Am says:

Thanks to those who exaggerated the cultural center issue and bordered on matters that have nothing to do with the Mosque just to score political points against the democratic administration, here we are going downhill. If It is not so, why would a wholesome honor student American boy do something like this? If this isn’t part of the hate campaign they incited, can anyone tell me what it is?

2. star says:

it has always been a fake religion…if u have to practice that religion u have to kill….says an ex-muslim

3. deroy says:

Bloomberg & Obama have turned this mosque into a national issue.
    obviously as they are elitists they have conspired against normal
    people.

4. hard_candy says:

funny…america goverment cover up the 9/11 by saying it muslim doing it.but after all,it was inside job and many people now know it. Some of america moron citizen still doing shit by attacking people who do not doing anything wrong and just do honest job for living.because of the goverment tell u that 9/11 is muslim terrorist attack.WTF?many america people has lost it sense of humor..now is this what ur religion taught u?kill people who do job and not dangering ur self?if u got brain,this kind of situation would not happen.might as well the boy ask this cab driver fight use their hands if he did hate muslim.look like the boy dont have balls..

5. SADAT says:

BEING A MUSLIM, MY HONEST AND POLITE GENTLE FRIEND WAS ATTACKED BY SOME UNKNOWN PERSONS NEAR GROUND ZERO JUST FEW HOURS AGO! THEY BROKE HIS CAR! THEY WERE SHOUTING- NO MUSLIM IN AMERICA!!! AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE WERE ATTACKED TOO IN THE SAME TIME AT SAME PLACE. WE SHOULD PUBLISH THIS NEWS IN HEADLINES! THERE IS A CONSPIRACY RUNNING BEHIND THE SCENE AGAINST ISLAM! NOT A SINGLE MUSLIM IS A TERRORIST! SOME BAD PEOPLE ARE PLAYING AGAINST ISLAM FOR THEIR OWN PROFIT! MAY ALLAH BLESS ALL OF US! BE CAREFUL EVERYBODY! ALLAHU AKBAR! ALLAH WILL TAKE CARE OF THIS ISSUE! INSHA ALLAH THE MOSJID (MOSQUE) WILL BE ESTABLISHED AT THAT PLACE! WE SHOULD FIND OUT, ACTUALLY WHO ARE PLAYING AGAINST ISLAM! WHO CRASHED THE TWIN TOWER! WHO MADE THE 9/11! WHY WHY WHY!!!!

1. Hadi says:

relax, every religion has it’s extremists, but you can’t say that all Muslims are good. I am a muslim too and I can tell you that not everyone is good, the Islamic center is just an excuse to make headlines, it could have been built anywhere else in the city, why choose next to Ground Zero… And yes there are terrorists that drag Islam through the mud, it is every good muslims job to rectify that. I left New York and now live in Lebanon, A war torn country where I see the worst of mankind using religion as an excuse for almost everything, I know when to say we are wrong and when we are not. This incident with this cab driver is unfortunate, but just as we do not want people to think that all muslims are terrorists, we should not be quick to say all Americans are racist. Sorry for your friend, but we should be careful not to breed more hatred. It is not important that we get up from this injustice, what is important is how we react to it. You have a chance to show people that there is a peaceful, understanding side to Islam.

2. freddy says:

What a nonsensical rant; perhaps you are the 15th terrorist; drive a cab?

Or have you gone mainstream with a street cart serving cat corpses?

6. Jhon dalton says:

Americans are done with muslims overseas after they killed more than 4 million muslims, now they are turning to their own because they believe in a different god.
    Way to go americans. and you still wonder why people hate you?
    You the most amazing thing about america is its ability to reproduce savagery wrapped with cool labels of democracy and freedom, but what is even more amazing is that they believe the labels.
    If you want to know what I am talking about search for the american use of weapons of mass destruction in fallujah/ iraq and see the aftermath of it. Its now officially worse than hiroshima and nagazaki combined.
    Keep it up americans, keep it up, its already accelerating you demise, like all the other arrogant, imperial states in history.

7. Don says:

Conservative Oath
    Note: Most effective when recited accompanied with background music by Donnie and Marie Osmond.

I (Your Name)

I am a conservative so I will do what I am told. I will listen faithfully to Fox news and I will look wide eyed and glassy as I am indoctrinated into my new family and I will love my new daddy Glen Beck. I will ignore the Christians in the news who molest children and will assume it is a liberal plot to deceive us all and make a pact with Satan. I will not support those who don’t want to allow Christian churches built near schools because of a history of pedifile abuse by “some” priests and ministers, but I will go against those who are of other religions, because only people who are like me should have freedom. I believe firmly that I will be free as long I do what I am told. As Fox news teaches us what is truth the people like me will expand, as this is the surest and fastest way of making clones due the high cost of laboratory machinery. Fox has been set up for our good and will facilitate our transformation more efficiently. Soon as time goes by our navels will disappear and we will know our friends by this physical trait. All others who do not comply will be called names like “socialist”, “communist”, “pagan” and “liberal”. Our new mother Sarah Palin will teach us nice new words like “neat” and “betcha” and we will join her in her knowledge of Africa being a country and learn how the earth is 5,000 years old and dinosaurs existed 4,000 years ago and were made by Satan and liberals. Once she becomes President she will be given the nuclear missle launch codes and we will all feel safer. I will go to her church and listen attentively about how the minister chased a witch out of town. Praise the Lord! My balls will drop lower as I am told wonders that expand my intellect and connect me with my lover who I refer to lovingly as “Rush” as he shows me new and wonderful uses for cigars to both enlighten me and expand my consciousness of the evils of liberal politics. I will reject health care because I am told it is wrong and I will soon die a martyr and be awarded a special place in heaven where there is constant playing of speeches by such greats as Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and Groucho Marx. Hail to my Tea party and Republican brothers and sisters!

8. Don says:

There is so much ignorance, bigotry and hatred brewing and Fox News, Palin, Beck, Hannity, O’Reily, and Limbaugh are fueling it. These people who claim to be patriots and use the country to promote anti American mentality. They are turning the people of this country into the same lunatics that are against us. Only in reverse. What is wrong with peope? Have they lost the ability to think and find out facts? Our country is supposed to be for freedom and liberty, but conservatives are promoting bigotry, hate, and fascism.

9. Richard Nixon says:

You liberal SOB,S will be the death of us all.

1. Brit says:

Conservative Oath

I (Your Name)

10. Brien says:

He should forgive him if he feels sorry for his actions. This incident might make or break his life.

11. hoho966 says:

THERE ARE FEW FANATICS LIKE ENGRIGHT EVERYWHERE SO I DOES’NT MEAN ALL ARE SAME….

12. Vince says:

This sounds like a SET UP. Enright is probably an ultra liberal who was trying to CREATE an incident that will help the muslim cause for the mosque in NYC. It looks like he succeeded because Bloomberg is using the incident to condemn “intolerance” and promote the mosque. It’s all just TOO convenient. Some lilly white kid asks a cab driver if he’s a muslim then just attacks him with a pocket knife. LOL!!!! Yeah, RIGHT!!

13. Matamoros says:

If he stayed in Bangladesh, this would not have happened.

14. Greatness Lost Is Legend says:

Seems the attacker is not some random member of the KKK after all. This creep is linked to a group supporting the Mosque. See Face Book. H-Town has it right: This is a Muslim doing his duty to mislead, deceive, and lie. CBS News has to do follow up…

15. sabur A says:

Moron that stabbed the cabby is not the real criminal. He is also a victim of crime committed by the Tea Party CONS. So, under trial must be the Tea Party CONS and the luminaries/celebrities like S. P. who created fertile ground for the creation of fanatics like one who stabbed the Bangladesh origin cabby – a secular Muslim.

16. American Muslim says:

Let’s do the math!!!

Total Muslim Population in the World: 1.6 BILLION
    Al Qaeda Terrorist Group Population: 10,000

Don’t hate. I’m an American Muslim, and I would die for this country.

1. JapesMcFarland says:

“Total Muslim Population in the World: 1.6 BILLION
      Al Qaeda Terrorist Group Population: 10,000”

Hi, I’ve often heard a stat repeated that out of all Muslims there are about 10% that support Osama, Al Qaeda, etc. and that makes about 100 million people. That is a scary statistic if true, don’t you think?

17. Prouod Conservative says:

You people who are blaming the Tea Parties and Palin are complete biggots! I helped organize a Tea Party in my town, and not one person at the event attacked anyone! Race and religion have no part in the protests! Instead, it’s close minded biggots like you who can’t argue with facts but who stoop to name calling who are the problem!

Yes, I am opposed to Islam as it is taught in the Koran, but I will never restrict someone’s right to their freedom of religion – as long as their religion doesn’t restrict mine!

You accuse Tea Partiers of hate, when it is YOU who are full of it!

18. NEW YORKER says:

as an american muslim and we all know that we live in a multi pot city.we should all stick together and say No to” hate crime”. if we don’t say NO to hate and ignorance now.it will escalate more and more.And then more innocent lives going to be hurt.and we dont want that to happen.thanks.

19. dave says:

thank you fox new…this what you have done…this the result of your lies ..stop please

20. Anil says:

I do not condone any violence with cab drivers, whether for money or religion. This attack on cab driver appears to be a result of racism. However, people of all faiths and beliefs are not above racism. Their actions may not always be violent. I have been asked too many times in the USA and abroad by Muslims, whom I had never met before, if I were a Muslim. Muslims’ treatment of others often depends on their religion.

21. matt says:

Hey Muslims,

don’t stay in America where you have to be honest and working hard to have a normal life.

Welcome to France:
    You don’t pay tax,
    you pay half the price for your rent,
    you don’t have to work,
    government supports you and give you money,
    We adapt our food to your religion,
    you can burn cars and attack people,
    Media will cover you cause we are tolerant,
    and you won’t go to jail cause they are full !

Bonus: you can sometimes if you behave very badly get a free ticket to your country, visit your family and come back whenever you feel like it !

1. Henry says:

I know France very well, and this is spot on! Americans are more clever than the europeans!

22. Just a guy says:

The story has many holes here.
    One version is that Enright got out of the cab through the window, and the cabbie chased him and flagged down a cop.
    MUslims are known to be habitual liars. Trust them like you trust a snake.

23. Jack Kennedy says:

thanks to the muslim prez, America is under attack, again

24. Eagle in NYC says:

It’s amazing how knee-jerkingly quick the dhimmis-that-be leap to classify this alleged crime as a “hate crime” but they still can’t bring themselves to list the Beltway Sniper series of assassinations as a hate crime by a muslim and his twink. Or likewise refusing to classify as a hate crime the Fort Hood massacre (committed in one of the Left’s favorite environments – a gun-free zone – on a military base! – that any sentient being realizes is a killing zone for criminals because all the law abiding citizens are, by definition, unarmed) committed by a tax-paid military, muslim, “soldier of allah” “psychiatrist”. But let an inebriated journalist who worked the same beat as Daniel Pearl, the victim of a Satan-commanded beheading [Sura 47:4: When you meet the unbelievers in the Jihad strike off their heads] attack a muslim, and the tax-paid dhimmis AUTHORITIES immediately label it an inflate-the-penalties “hate crime”.

I don’t know what happened in the cab. I don’t know if it was a “hate crime” – but the judicial classification shouldn’t exist in the first place. But if you’re going to play the game with discriminatory rules of law (“hate crimes”), then at least apply the tool of discrimination equitably.

Latest (also read the links to Politico and the Village Voice):
    ‘Anti-Muslim’ attacker works for Pro Cordoba Mosque Group

25. poed says:

maybe just maybe the guy is smarter than our damn govt and knows who the real enemys of this great coutry are, mussies need to go!

26. skippy says:

I haven’t heard such an obvious fake hate crime story since Tawana Brawley said white cops smeared the n-word on her with poop.

27. Eagle in NYC says:

‘Anti-Muslim’ attacker works for Pro Cordoba Mosque Group

28. John P. says:

Did you notice that the police ascertained that he was intoxicated when arrested? That accounts for the insane behavior of someone people know as a “peaceful person.” Any recovering alcoholic will see the problem immediately. Alcohol/drug use makes some people insane. They may do something terrible, and here is the kicker: THEY HAVE TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES FOR THEIR BEHAVIOR EVEN IF IT WAS DONE IN SOME KIND OF BLACKOUT. That is the only way he can begin to heal. Yes, place him in protective custody but prosecute him to the full extent of the law. And pray for Mr. Sharif also.

29. Partha says:

I guess the guy was under stress and out of his mind. Maybe the taxi driver is lying to get sympathy. It is now politically correct to show that you are a muslim and that you are violated. Moreover, it is his words against him.

30. Sam says:

Naturally, the temptation would be to think this psychopath was fervently opposed to the Ground Zero Mosque, but not so fast. From the Village Voice:

Michael Enright of Brewster, New York, who was booked on charges of attempted murder and assault with a weapon as a hate crime, is listed on Facebook as an employee of the New York City-based Intersections International, a “global initiative dedicated to promoting justice, reconciliation and peace across lines of faith, culture, ideology, race, class, national borders and other boundaries that divide humanity.” And a few weeks ago, they announced their support for — you guessed it — the Cordoba House, better known to many as the “Ground Zero Mosque.”

And on August 3, 2010, Intersections International came out with this press release:

Intersections supports the efforts of its partner organizations, The Cordoba Initiative and the American Society for Muslim Advancement, to develop a Community Center and Muslim prayer space, called “The Cordoba House,” at 47-51 Park Place in Manhattan. The vision is to create a place where individuals–regardless of race, faith or ethnicity–will find a center for learning, art, cultural expression and athletics; and most importantly, a center guided by the universal values of all religions–compassion, generosity, peace and human dignity.

31. Eagle in NYC says:

32. Fred Landers says:

Hate doesnt stem from political associations, or religious affiliation. Hate does not have anything to do with one’s environment.
    Hate comes from the human soul. All humans are guilty of evil which comes from inside them. They cannot stop their own evil no matter what they try to do.
    Man has never been able to stop his own evil. No outside change, be it a new political regime, a new social policy, or philosophy, or education, etc cannot stop the evil that is inside the human heart.

33. WeMadeAmistake says:

In just the span of only 14 months into his presidency, Obama, (aided by Reid/Pelosi) has piled $5 Billion PER DAY of debt onto every man, woman, and chld in the U.S…………3 times the entire debt of Bush’s entire 8 years in office. [Washington Times – June 3, 2010]

The average 20-24 year old has now had $107,000 added to his/her lifetime of taxes by Obama and the Depressioncrats.

On January 2, 2007 Bush’s U# unemployment rate was 4.6% and the DOW hit 12,261 and the GDP for that quarter was 3.5%

On January 3, 2007 the Depressioncrats took over Congress

…and now…..???? almost 4 years later…..WE ARE IN THE SHEET CAN

34. Otis Campbell says:

this is more about the booze than hate…

35. That guy says:

Two words:

MIND CONTROL

36. dopk says:

Recognizing that the people we’re dealing with believe the ends justifies the means, I don’t believe for a moment that the little boo-boo on this man’s face wasn’t self-inflicted to make anyone against the ground zero mosque look bad.

37. bob says:

it’s so hard to leave a comment on here

38. Adela Kostea says:

What this guy did was wrong , but it was an isolated incident and it did not result in loss of life.
    Yet we will hear about it on the alphabet soup networks for many months to come , as if it was some kind of monstruous genocide.
    On the other hand, when Major Hassan , a muslim man, murdered 13 of his military colegues while shouting “alahu akhbar”, the media first covered for him, and then burriied the story alltogether….this is what journalism is in America today, worse that the soviet Pravda , back when Stalin was in power.

1. Dank says:

911 was an “isolated incident also” so what are you so upset about???

{that’s NOT how I feel about 911, just thought I’d have a whack at using your line of reasoning, how’d I do?}

Allah Bless America!!!

39. modrabbit says:

..wow, everyone is twisting the story to politics..gotta’ love it!!..a black construction worker is nearly lynched because he “looked” muslim and a muslim cabbie is stabbed by what one person called a “left wing” plant..really people..get a brain..politics just gave white folks a reason to bring out their deep seated racism..

1. DURRRR says:

-_-

Islam is not a race…

40. YEADAWG says:

THIS IS NON-SENSE… They should really stop ISLAM if it is going to cause another WAR. US should not kiss up to the enemy’s feet especially after so many open threats.

Whoever wants to leave US can go back to where ever they are from and cause trouble there

41. Steve Duplantis says:

So it’s OK for Muslims to kill Americans for no apparent reason, yet we can’t even say we don’t like them without being labeled a racist or hater. P!ss on you anti American a$$hole$–Enright should receive the Medal of Honor!!

1. Dank says:

REALLY, is that an accurate representation of how you think? If so, keep clapping when Muslim cabbies start attacking people who ask if they’re Muslim, not that that’s likely to happen, but I’m making the point for you to keep those fires stoked in your guts, they WILL inevitably lead to what ALL the extremists, Muslim or otherwise want: more violence.

Allah Bless America!!!

42. Serita says:

I hope they give him “Life, without possiblity of parole”

43. Alan says:

I do not think this is a hate crfime. I think the guy just went nuts and has no idea of what he has done.

44. Pasha says:

I would suspect that besides drinking, Enwrong may have been invovled in some serious drug use. He certainly sounded like he was tripping if the man got his comments accurately. He knows some Arabic, was in Afghanistan, which is a great producer of heroin poppies. But cabbies should have concealed carry permits so they can defend themselve. Remiember a few years ago when all those black democrats were robing and killing them? It was terrible.

1. Alan says:

Did they carry a sign that said ‘black democrat’?

45. MikeR says:

Judging by these comments, you Americans must be on average the dumbest nation on Earth. Not a surprise at all, having all the nations around the world dump their discarded plebs onto your soil stolen from the Natives by nothing else but good old fashion violence, a habit most you still view as reasonably intelligent.

No wonder your economy is falling apart, your leaders have sold you for peanuts and you are well on your road to a breakup of the federation.

I thought for ages that China would win any cold war over you. I am now sure there’s no need for them to even waste money on it.

You will disappear from the face on the planet without anyone else helping, hopefully soon.

(ps: yes, Islam is violent and has many idiotic adherents, but average Muslims have nothing on Americans stupidity-wise)

1. you a so smarta says:

“on average the dumbest”

lol

2. Vince says:

I notice you don’t reveal which country you’re from. Too embarrassed to review the pathetically violent history of YOUR country? Yeah, I probably would be too.

46. GMan52 says:

Maybe this was another case of a cop acting stupidly? -OR-

Maybe we should not jump to conclusions. Like when a muslim army dude yells ALLAH AKBAR and shoots dead 14 Americans. I mean, we can’t make any inferences from THAT now can we? At least according to our wonderfully Christian law-abiding, truthful “president”.

1. scarpelli says:

WHAT do the cops have to do with this?

47. joe says:

this is the kind of thing the left and the muslim invaders will use to force the rest of us to cow to them and capitulate to their every demand – because of one crazy dude the test of us will be branded as racist hate mongers!

48. cleo says:

wow, such strong hate, here~ i wonder how will it be where every each one of you meet in real life? blood bath,maybe? chill people!

49. Huck Pituey says:

Yeah, definitely the Tea Party’s fault. How dare we want a government we can afford?

Comments are closed.