Brooklyn Cop Suspended After Failing To Perform CPR

BROOKLYN, N.Y. (CBS 2) — A Brooklyn police officer was suspended Tuesday after failing to give CPR to a young girl who suffered an asthma attack and then died, police said.

30-year-old officer Alfonso Mendez was suspended without pay for thirty days, effective immediately.

Mendez is a five-year veteran of the NYPD, who was assigned to the 84th Precinct in downtown Brooklyn.

While police officers are not required by law to perform CPR, Mendez could face departmental charges of failing to act.

The conduct of the police officer elicited an emotional response from the young girl’s family Monday night.

The delay of assistance allegedly occurred as Michael Ojeda’s 11-year-old daughter, Briana, tried to fight through an asthma attack while her mother struggled get her to a hospital just blocks away.

“He held her up for five minutes. My daughter passed out in the street and fell on the floor in front of him. And he didn’t even make a movement to grab her and help her,” Michael Ojeda said.

CBS 2 tried to speak with Officer Mendez hours after he was suspended from the NYPD Tuesday.

When asked if he could explain what happened Friday during the incident with Briana’s mother, Mendez replied only “sorry. I can’t do that.”

Tuesday night, Mendez’s wife, Damaris, defended her husband.

“He tried to help,” she said, “He was alone and you know, he was scared.”

CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey reports the fateful meeting of Mendez and Carmen Ojeda — the girl’s mother — came Friday after the 11-year old suffered an asthma attack in Carroll Park. Her mother, put the girl in the car and drove the wrong way down the street, the most direct way to the destination that might save her daughter’s life.

Blocked on the narrow one-way street, Ojeda spotted the uniformed man in what she thought was a white police car and pleaded for help, CBS 2’s Rob Morrison reported Monday.

“My daughter fell on the floor and he look at my wife with a smirk and told her ‘I don’t know CPR,'” Ojeda said.

Witnesses also described a similar scene.

“So he’s just standing there, my mother goes, ‘do you know CPR?’ ‘Do you know CPR.’ At this point everybody’s frustrated and he’s with a little smirk on his face he says ‘no, I don’t know CPR,’ Erica Domenech said.

The girl’s mother said Mendez escorted her to the hospital by following her with lights on after the delay, but young Briana was pronounced dead at the hospital.

“She was an angel and she will be missed.  The earth will miss her,” Maria Ojeda, the girl’s grandmother said.

“I’m very sorry to the woman, that if he [Mendez] could have done more, he would have,” Damaris Mendez said.

Comments

1. Jay Silberberg says:

The racist comment attributed to Jay Sillberberg “working for the phone company in Denver” is a hack into my name and employment. It is not from the real Jay Silberberg in Denver. I deeply resent this horrid misuse of my name.

2. Jay Silberberg says:

What do you expect. Alfonso Mendez is a Latino. Look at Mexico, Colombia, Peru, and other Latino nations, cesspools of drug cartels, vicious criminals, and simpleton peasants. They no nothing of civil society or the rule of law. Mendez should be fired and deported to wherever he (or his forefathers) came from. He’s a disgrace to the uniform. I have to put up with careless, lazy Latino’s people like that every day working for the phone company in Denver.

3. duh says:

to: cdchase
    were you there?
    try thinking for yourself
    CPR is never to be given when a person is still breathing it could kill them.
    He was doing his job by stopping her.
    He escorted her to the hospital.
    She died in the hospital over an hour and a half later.
    today s media is all about ratings they air anything that is emotionally charged
    The officers actions had nothing to do with her tragic death.

and to:( J) if you truly know CPR so well you would know it would not be appropriate or even deadly in this situation.

4. J says:

NYC you must fire this worthless excuse for a human being! How about prosecuting him for depraved indifference to the loss of human life. Masquerading around as a ‘civil servant’. I learned CPR 30 years ago and could have helped! Would have helped had I been there! Don’t make excuses for this dirtbag! A little 11 y.o. girl is dead. This needs to follow him for the rest of his life!

5. cdchase says:

If I am correct it’s a CRIME to not help a citizen in distress…to just stand by and WATCH someone die…to not HELP in ANY WAY.

6. smurf says:

He stopped her for driving the wrong way on a one way street after hitting a car and then leaving the scene of the accident. when he learned of the medical emergency he gave her an escort to the hospital. He stated he honestly wasn’t confident enough to administer CPR that doesn’t mean he “refused” to help. I agree that the city should train all cops as basic EMTs and re-certify them on a regular basis but the city is to cheap to train its police officers they way smaller departments do. Currently the police academy gives a short block of instruction on CPR,

7. D'Brickashaw Uggams says:

This cop should be fired and given asthma.

1. cdchase says:

smh….KARMA, Buddy!

8. Roy says:

Sad story folks,lets remember a young girl lost her life………….hopefully NYPD can learn a lesson from this tragic event !

9. Lee says:

This is unreal. I understand that the initial reaction of the public is to blame the officer, but come on….where is the fault of the mother. As parents, you are put on this earth to serve and protect your children, and when your child has an illness you should know how and when to treat it and be educated about the disease. As a child I too had asthma, and series of attacks, but my mother NEVER let me play out at a park in over 90 degree weather….especially without an inhaler around!! Asthmatics should take it easy in the heat in order to not trigger an episode. And so quick to blame the officers….he has risked his life for 5 years for the public…..did anyone check his record to see how many bullets he may have dodged for the public….or how many lives he has saved???? I think that everyone should stop acting on instinct and really think this through. I have sympathy for the mother, and would hate to see anyone lose their child…but I don’t think that we should be so quick to pass the blame!!!

10. Marie says:

Commissioner Kelly must address this publicly-and soon.

How do you defend the character of anyone who with the option of rushing a child to the hospital-instead lets her die in the street-because he’s arguing that he doesn’t know cpr.
    The need for cpr, would indicate to anyone that we have an emergency.

He need to be fired NOW

11. ADS says:

This police officer should be fired. How can anyone with such disregard and/or stupidity be allowed to enter the police force. Don’t they perform some kind of IQ tests?

12. Madelyn says:

As someone who suffers with serious asthma, I can tell you first hand that rescue inhalers do not always work-if the attack is severe enough..

This ass hole P.O. was acting as a coward when he could have rushed this little girl to the hospital.

Get this coward out of NYPD.
    Do the right thing Mr. Kelly.
    Let him go.

13. sam says:

There is no exciuse for this dirt bag’s behavior or attitude…
    the saving grace would have been to rush her to the hospital…

Where was his partner, aren’t they usually paired up?

Suspend him?? he doesn’t deserve this job-let him go,
    no room for garbage on the force…giving them a very bad rep….
    if I were a cop I would want him fired…l.

14. Iker says:

Mike D:
    We really don’t know the full details about whether she did or why the mother didn’t have the medical equipment.We also don’t know if she was capable or knowledgeable to deal with a deadly asthma attack.I have a brother who works in the emergency room,he’s expert opinion states depending on the severity of the asthma attack, inhalers or other moderate medical equipment don’t work to save a deadly asthma attack.The only way to save that life is in the EMERGENCY HOSPITAL ROOM.

15. mike d says:

you are all missing the most important question. Where was this girls emergency inhaler!!?? My wife has acute asthma and i never leave the house without it PERIOD.NYPD is taught cpr/defib but its only good for 1-2 years this guy was on the force 5+ years how many refreshers did he have NONE I BET

1. Lee says:

16. JasonS says:

I think part of the problem is that the NYPD has a very low hiring standard and as a result there is a distinct lack of common sense and everyday intelligence among recruits. This is evident any time you see NYPD cops called in to deal with some dispute or assault or other. They’re generally too lazy to work out exactly what’s happening in a situation, so they just default to being a-hole cops on a power trip. In such situations, despite the obvious glaring them in the face and despite being surrounded by witnesses who are telling them what’s happened, they feel it’s much easier to simply treat all parties as guilty. This happened to me one time a guy got out of his car and began to kick and punch me for taking my time crossing at a stop sign (I’d just had surgery on my leg). The cops arrived and despite around 20 witnesses telling them exactly what happened (that I didn’t even fight back), they said they would either arrest both of us or neither of us. To them it was just a “fight” with both parties equally as guilty. I along with a witness made an official complaint but of course nothing ever came of it (as usual). It sounds like this cop was too dumb to figure out the most sensible course of action as dictated by his surroundings, so he just went into his a-hole power trip mode. Everyone who has ever dealt with the NYPD knows what I’m talking about.

17. Iker says:

We are civilize adults please give the mother respect she just lost her child.My prayers goes to her family.As for the police officer he should be fired out of the force.Those precious minutes that he took away from reaching the hospital could have saved the life of the child.WHY DID THE POLICE OFFICER waited 4 days to admit the death of the child?WHY?From watching & reading other medias the NYPD try to cover up by denying it might not be an NYPD officer.I do have much respect for the NYPD work,but the corruption in the force reminds me of a fascist police force from nazy Germany.I also see many people point the finger at the mother, but reality changes when you’re in a situation seeing your child out off breath and dieing slowly.WHEN PEOPLE GO INTO PANIC MODE we tend to think confused and nervous.I am sure the mother was frighten and she didn’t want to wait for 911 help,what if the emt or other service would have taken longer because of traffic,too busy,etc..etc Let’s not forget we do live in very congested city.

18. lynne says:

No one can prove he laughed or 5 minutes went by — where is the video?? The mother WHO DIDN’T KNOW CPR WITH AN ASTHMATIC CHILD got out of a car, with the child, to talk to a cop on the street??? DRIVE TO THE HOSPITAL!!!

1. Luis says:

(to lynne) You are probably one of them. Blaming the mother gives you away. You obviously didn’t read the story. Check the other news outlets too before you make stupid comments.

2. Bear says:

Are you stupid? It should have been on of your kins.

19. Madelyn says:

Fire this arrogant POS and bring uponcharges of reckless endangement and endangering the welfare of a child-ressulting in the death of this child.
    what a disgrace to the uniform.

Get rif of this piece of garbage now!

20. tim says:

You don’t need to know cpr, tilt the neck back to clear the airway or just start doing chest compressions, you don’rt need to know exact procedure. No different than a fat person not going to a gym. Just get off your rear end and start moving anything is better than nothing at all.

21. tony c says:

And then we wonder why they say new yorkers suck this guy should bale out

22. THMS says:

EVERYBODY FORGETS,POLICE ARE THERE TO SERVE THE PUBLIC PERIOD. THEY TAKE AN OATH TO DO SO.

23. Geno Ferri says:

The officer should be dismissed from the police force. He is trained in CPR. All police and fire fighting persons are trained in CPR. In Massachusetts they are required to pass The First Responders Course in CPR and act as First Responders in an emergency. Are you telling me that New York City is deficient in its training of police officers?

24. H says:

just another case of a pig outta control

1. jason says:

Dear H: I agree with you 1000%

25. randy says:

Maybe the same fate that met the EMT that refused service will meet this young man

26. Anonymous says:

The lack of action on the part of the policeman is disgraceful. However, one wonders whether he didn’t perform CPR simply because he had forgotten the procedure. If under duress, it is often quite difficult and easier to back away. In this case, the critical point is to get the girl to an ER ASAP. Unfortunately, CPR is not an effective treatment for an asthma attack. Out of hospital arrest carries with it a very poor survival prognosis last I checked, maybe on the order of 1-3%.

27. Luis says:

The point is not whether he knows CPR or he doesn’t. He needs to move his butt and get this girl to the hospital. Not just wait for 5 minutes and then react. He need to be fired to set an example. This kind of behavior took the life of a little girl. He should NOT be a police officer. Period.

1. ElenK says:

I’m with Luis. If he was not trained to perform CPR (a serious training issue if it’s true) he should have scooped and run as fast as possible to hiss patrol car and to the hospital. There is absolutely no excuse. From what I understand, he didn’t wait 5 minutes before reacting. He didn’t even react and he was contemptuous of the desperate mom. Protect and Serve? Yeah. I live in the Slope and have seen this beautiful young lady walking with friends after school. Now the family has lost its light and a little girl her life. There is just no possible excuse. None!

28. v says:

Look, most people become police officers because the pay is good, benefits are great and because they feel they are above the law. They do not care about people as is clearly the case here.

29. nana says:

“…..police officers are not required by law to perform CPR….” WHY?? They are required to take the course to show off a medal or card? How cruel could he be? He could have at least taken her straight to ER himself instead of delay the matter. I sure hope he never finds himself in a similar situation himself.

30. nyphonejacks says:

i do not see why this officer is being suspended… if anything he should be sent to training, as well as all other officers to ensure that they know the proper life saving procedures, and they should all be required to take refresher courses annually…

1. michellenj says:

Are you serious? He didn’t help a dying girl. He never used his radio to ask for medical help. He didn’t even us his lights to bring her to the hospital. HE GAVE HER A TICKET!!

2. jason says:

nyphone jacks is s complete idiot. that officer should lose his badge… Police are suppose to protect and serve. These pigs in NYC only know how to harass… I find it hard to believe he does not know CPR… I bet he knows how to write a ticket… This is a COMPLETE OUTRAGE. GOD has something special for people like that

3. Chest Compress says:

All NYPD officers receive mandatory CPR traiing at the academy. There is absolutely no excuse for soon-to-be ex-officer Alfonso Mendez poor actions.

4. Khalilah says:

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! An officers job is to serve and protect the community. Even if he didn’t know CPR, he could have radio for help (which he didn’t) or put the child in his car and get her to the hospital. Standing there like a complete idiot is not acceptable when you took an oath to serve and protect the community.

That is why he is being suspended. He should be fired if you ask me. It is one thing if he was a regular joe on the street, but he wears that blue uniform and badge for a reason..

31. Ronnie from Morris Park says:

Do to this officer lack of action, a young life is lost. He should be fired

Comments are closed.