Fashion’s Night Out: Top 10 Best Events!
By Jenn D’Imperio
Friday, Sept. 10 marks the date of New York City’s second annual Fashion’s Night Out and the beginning of Fashion Week. This year definitely seems like it’s going to be even bigger and brighter than last year and the fashion world is buzzing about all the hot designers and star-studded events that our beloved city of New York has to offer.
The Fashion’s Night Out website has a special section called “My Night Out” where you can look through all the night’s events, browse by category, map them and even add them to an itinerary. Pretty sweet, but with over 1,320 events it can be slightly time consuming to look through them all. Lucky for you, I surfed the site and the rest of the web to find what I thought are the top ten events most worth attending. (Almost all boast two of my favorite things – cupcakes and champagne. Yum!)
Oh, and you don’t have to worry about stomping out all the other girls with your stilettos in order to grab a cab to all these amazing attractions. Volkswagen will have a fleet of vehicles ready to go to transport your trendy butt all over town. All you need is a receipt of purchase from a participating FNO retailer.
Top 10 Fashion’s Night Out Events:
1. Karaoke With The Olsen Twins – Famous fashionistas/bag-ladies Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen and the amazing boys behind Proenza Schouler will be judging a karaoke contest at Barney’s New York. There will also be a ping-pong doubles tournament where you may find yourself up against the likes of the designers behind Shipley & Halmos, Rogan or Rag & Bone. Simon Doonan, Alexander Wang (love) and Linda and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte will be celebrating with games such as musical chairs. 660 Madison Avenue, 6pm – 11pm.
2. Get Advice From Rachel Zoe – Shop a huge array of fall shoes at the Piperlime pop-up shop where the most famous stylist ever, Rachel Zoe, will be on hand to give one-on-one advice. Bananas. The cast of Project Runway will also be in attendance. 93 Mercer Street between Broome and Spring, 6pm-11pm.
3. The Red Carpet Experience – Frederic Fekkai Salon and Marchesa are teaming up with store Henri Bendel to create the perfect red carpet moment. For $75, you can choose from five celebrity red carpet looks by Marchesa, including one worn by Sandra Bullock. You’ll also get full hair and makeup at the Fekkai salon. Afterwards, The City‘s Oliva Palermo will teach you how to pose for the paparazzi and you’ll receive a professional quality digital photo. Best of all, you don’t have to feel guilty for shelling out 75 bucks because all proceeds go to charity.712 5th Avenue.
4. Number One Spot For Celebs – Rub elbows with the likes of Tom Ford, Thom Browne, Mary J. Blige, Jason Wu, Nicole Richie, Victoria Beckham, Sarah Jessica Parker and Heidi Klum while enjoying a celebrity dog “Best In Show” competition at Bergdorf Goodman. There will also be a makeup artist competition judged by Catherine Malandrino, Trish McEvoy and Vogue‘s Hamish Bowles. The night is being hosted by famed photographer Patrick McMullan. Fifth Avenue at 58th Street, 4pm-11pm.
5. Victoria’s Secret Angels – At the Soho Victoria’s Secret store, angels Chanel Iman, Adriana Lima and Doutzen Kroes will be signing autographs for customers. You can also submit questions for a live chat with the supermodels. A fashion event even your boyfriend will love. 591 Broadway.
6. Jersey Shore Grooming – Jersey Shore cast member Vinny will be at C.O. Bigelow to talk about his grooming product essentials. Because everyone wants to look like a Jersey Shore kid and GTL is not as easy as you think. 414 Sixth Avenue, 7pm-8pm.
7. Bar Rafaeli at Armani – Sports Illustrated model Bar Rafaeli will be at Armani Fifth Avenue to pose for a photo with you after you receive a free makeover from Armani Beauty. 717 Fifth Avenue.
8. Lord & Taylor Food Truck Fest – NYC firefighters will be appearing to promote their new calendar. If that isn’t delicious enough, the food truck fest will include Cupcakestop.com, Street Sweets, Treats Truck and Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream and you can text in a vote for which one tastes the best. With qualifying purchase, you could be photographed by (hot)fashion photographer and Top Model judge, Nigel Barker. 424 Fifth Avenue, 8 pm.
9. Gant’s Wet Male Models – No one famous here, but if you love nearly nude male models as much as I do, then this is the spot for you. Gant is unveiling a sexy, lacrosse themed window display featuring real lacrosse players taking their post-game shower. Live. There will be an appearance by designer Michael Bastian from 8pm-9pm and free beer until 10pm. Half naked boys and free beer? Sold. 645 Fifth Avenue.
10. Kiki de Montparnasse Erotic Festivities – For those still looking to get their freak on after the wet boys at Gant, luxury lingerie designer Kiki de Montparnesse‘s store will feature live music, champagne and aphrodisiac tastings, private romance salons (totally want to find out what that means), an erotic photo booth and a preview of the latest collections on the sexy Kiki models. Kinky. 79 Greene Street.
Will you be attending any of these (or any other) Fashion’s Night Out events? Comment below!