New York City Is Once Again Chock Full O’Nuts

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Once upon a time, men wore hats and coffee came in substantial porcelain mugs.

New York was chock full of Chock Full O’Nuts, but it faded into the history books. Then came a knock on the door.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane reports from Manhattan
LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ John Montone reports from 23rd Street
LIST: Ten Alternatives To Starbucks

“We had been, in the past 10 years, franchising in the cafe division, grab-and-go, more of a coffee beverage,” company franchising VP Jim LaGanke told WCBS 880 reporter Paul Murnane. “He said ‘You know, I think you’re really missing the roots of Chock Full O’Nuts.'”

The first Chock Full O’Nuts restaurant in decades is true to the original, down to the whole wheat donuts and cream cheese nut bread sandwiches.

But there is a latte on the menu, and Buffalo wings.

The new restaurant, located on West 23rd Street, was described to Paul Murnane as “contemporized retro.”

Barbara was one of the first customers at the new Chock when it opened its doors Monday at 11 a.m. and she was very happy to see it make a comeback.

“It was a favorite lunch spot when I didn’t have a lot of money,” Barbara told 1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks. She fondly remembered her favorite item on the menu: cream cheese on date nut bread.

Comments

1. Princess says:

Thank you for your return LOVE IT….. LOVE IT……the coffee and the cream cheese on the nut bread YUMMY……

2. Sheryl says:

I’d go out of my way for CFON and pass all the Starbucks and Dunkins along the way…. CFON is the original! And Starbucks is swill. I drink CFON at home and I enjoy it more than the coffee I get at DD. Each to their own. I think there is room in NYC for Charbucks, DD and CFON. And when I’m in the city, CFON will get my money.

3. Alan says:

Chock Full O’Nuts is horrible coffee. The world has changed since they disappeared. They can’t compete with Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Retro is fun as a novelty, but it is nothing to build a business model on. They won’t last.

1. yjmarigold says:

I disagree Alan. I think they will do very well and hope they do.
      …. and the comment on it being built on the Mosque site is great. ANYTHING there that has nothing to do with religion would be great. ….GoTrump!

4. Sheldon says:

This is what should be at that silly Mosque site. Make java, not jihad!

1. Brian says:

Downtown was chock full o’ nuts on Saturday.

5. M.D. Lewis says:

I can’t wait to go and visit. I loved CFON for years and loved their coffee. Glad they are back. Looked forward to their coffee early in the morning.

Congrats.

M.D. Lewis

6. Donna says:

My mother used to take me into Chock Full O’Nuts when I was a little girl, some 40+ years ago. She loved her coffee. I still remember the plain donuts — yum. (Mom wouldn’t let me have sugary things.)

1. Sally Rogers says:

On Take Your Daughter To Work Day, 35 years ago, my Mom would also take me to Chock Full O’Nuts for a quick breakfast and cup of coffee at the counter. Awwww it really is nostolgic. Happy to see them return.

7. John Adams says:

It’s called “Second Childhood.”

Comments are closed.