L.I. Dog Shelter Owner Takes Law Into Own Hands

OCEANSIDE, NY (WCBS 880) – Diane Indelicato stood outside her Ruff House animal shelter in Oceanside, Long Island – holding photos of the two purebred dogs that she says came into her shelter very neglected.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports

“They were so matted together that they couldn’t even fully, like, turn their heads,” Indelicato said to WCBS 880 reporter Sophia Hall.

Police say when the owner of the shih tzu and maltipoo tried to claim the dogs, Indelicato refused and, instead, took the pets to New Jersey and put them up for adoption.

Indelicato says nobody gave her proof of ownership and the dogs should be at a good home, not be abused.

Indelicato says, “It wasn’t about money.”

She has been charged with criminal possession of stolen property.

More from Sophia Hall

1. christine shane says:

I’ve delt with ruff house for a year, I fostered for them. Many dogs were saved because of ruff house. There all great people and do right by the dogs. Those two dogs were in horrible condition, the owners didn’t properly care for them. Diane did what she had to do and I would of done the same.

2. ronnie says:

Would have done the exact same thing. Why should two innocent dogs go back to people who are ignorant? Too many animals suffer at the hand of their owners. Maybe instead of wasting taxpayers money on this kind of nonsense, they should go after REAL criminals who commit REAL crimes.

3. Christine says:

Even considering giving these animals back to their owners is insanity…the before pictures speak for themselves

4. COS says:

Another instance of animals having more rights than humans… If they were children, no one would even know about the story…

5. Nicole says:

I adopted my dog from this rescue site….they are FANTASTIC and this is absolutely ridiculous!

6. TMC says:

1. Anon says:

The dogs were brought in as strays… in horrible condition

1. Anon says:

The law’s view of animal’s as mere property is what needs to “grow up”. This view is a remnant of rural legislation in early america. The law should shift to view animals in this situation as it would view children in a child abuse/neglect case – NOT AS PROPERTY! They are sentient beings who can feel pain and the law should be accommodating for folks who are trying to protect them.

7. Teenie Christiney says:

I agree; the dogs were in terrible condition and neglected; the “owners” showed no proof of ownership and frankly, I’d have a hard time releasing the pets back into the care of “owners” who could let their pets get THAT bad. I would have down the exact same thing as I feel the dogs were not stolen but rescued. We’re not talking about a few mats, this is VERY bad….

8. Vita David says:

She did the right thing…animals are human they should be treated right!!!!

9. Dee says:

I would like to know what idiot DA is charging this woman. I guess they don’t have may really cases to deal with

1. Teenie Christiney says:

I agree, I hope with support from the animal rights population that the charges will be dropped…

10. Linda Mercaldo says:

Ms. Indellicato did the correct thing. She took care of the animals who were neglected by the “owners”. She should not be charged.

11. kim says:

She defintely did the right thing! Why would anyone give these two beautiful creatures back to an owner he let them get in such bad condition! She shoudl be commended not arrested!!!

12. rob says:

Satan has a “high place” for people who abuse animals. Over looking a beautiful ocean of burning liquid with the beasts of hell eating them FOR EVER!!

13. K.O. says:

She did the right thing! The owner should have been charged with animal abuse. Anything less proves incompetence by the police department.

Comments are closed.