Whooping Cough Alert On Long Island

WEST ISLIP, NY (WCBS 880) – An alert has been issued after a nurse at Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip was diagnosed with whooping cough.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall reports

Hospital officials say the nurse works in the maternity ward and has completed antibiotic treatment.

The hospital notified patients, families, and employees that may have come in contact with the nurse.

The New York State Health Department’s Pete Constantakes says getting the vaccine is the best way to prevent the disease.

“Young infants, lots of times they haven’t receive the full series of vaccinations or any… if they’re newborn,” Constantakes tells WCBS 880 reporter Sophia Hall. “In this case, we’re still looking to see what happened, whether it was a big risk. And, again, we will take any sanctions we need to, to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future.”

Whooping cough, also known as purtussis, causes violent and uncontrollable coughing.

More from Sophia Hall
Comments

1. ConcernedParent says:

And here’s another excellent link. Vaccines DID save us, people. Washing our hands and taking poop out of our water didn’t.

2. ConcernedParent says:

For all who think that “vaccines didn’t save us” and infection rates were already lowering prior to development of vaccines, please read this excellent article:

3. djbwain says:

Take all the shots you want. If they work… then it’ll only be us tinfoil hatters dying. Leave us alone.

1. ConcernedParent says:

Now THERE’S a responsible member of society! Way to be a team player, dude. Bet you’re a libertarian. And that you don’t help your wife clean the dishes after dinner either – “leave me alone!”

Problem is, when you don’t join in, you erode everyone’s herd immunity. And THAT’S when even vaccinated people get diseases we should have eradicated a long time ago.

And you’re gonna cite Robert F. Kennedy Jr. to me? Really? I don’t know what’s worse – that hoarse fruitcake (why is he always hoarse, by the way? Vaccines?) or his Playboy Bunny sidekick, Jenny McCarthy.

4. Vaccines are Useless says:

Jump… do you really think they’re after a “cure”? If Big Pharma introduced “cures” they would put themselves out of business. Come on. That’s pretty logical. It’s like finding an alternate source of energy – do you think BP or Exxon will come up with it? Makes no sense.

We’re not conspirists… we simply look beyond what we’re told to believe. That’s called critical thinking…something public education has tried its best to limit (and yes, I am a public school teacher).

In 2006, pediatric and adolescent vaccines in the seven major markets were worth approximately $4.3 billion, but thanks to new high-price vaccines promising significant health benefits, Datamonitor expects this figure to increase substantially, hitting over $16 billion by 2016.

drugresearcher.com – 2007 Kids Vaccine Market Set to Quadruple.

Look it up. And they make next to nothing? And as for the tuna sandwich theory…please research the difference between ethyl mercury and methyl mercury. BIG difference, and studies have been done.

I haven’t seen one post that asserts vaccines cause autism. We are simply raising the possibility that there are ingredients in these vaccines that are not good for us. If you’re willing to DRINK a concoction of formaldehyde, MSG, aluminum, mercury, and bovine serum (blood), let me know. Any takers on that? IF your doctor said, “bottoms up”, would you do it?

And why is Johnson and Johnson about to buy a vaccine company if there’s so few “clams” to be had??? Yeah, $15.5 billion sale. Happening now.

We’re not tin-foil wearing people. We simply choose to do our own research and think for ourselves. Why is that so threatening to you kool-aid drinking folks?

1. ConcernedParent says:

“If you’re willing to DRINK a concoction of formaldehyde, MSG, aluminum, mercury, and bovine serum (blood), let me know. Any takers on that? IF your doctor said, “bottoms up”, would you do it?”

Come on, Useless! Considering that all these ingredients in a shot add up to about a 1/8th teaspoon/1 drop, YES I WOULD.

Again, you proceed without medical authority for your assumptions or true critical thought on the issue…’it SOUNDS bad so I won’t do it.’ When your child contracts a fatal preventable disease because you won’t take off your tinfoil and listen to reason, I will not be so heartless as to say “I told you so”, for the true heartlessness is yours and has already been committed. You have an obligation to protect your child and society from Vaccine-Preventable Diseases.

5. JumpSwimSnipe says:

Sigh. This will be my only response because, sadly, Fangbeer you are one of those beyond hope, who will likely listen only to your own voice as you know everything:

You wrote: “They do have a very thin profit margin on vaccine production. It’s one of the reasons why there is such a push to make sure everyone in the country buys a shot. These reasons are two fold. One, it makes the production of the vaccine viable, and two it helps to reduce the cost the consumer must fork over for a dose…” Blah blah…

1. First premise: WRONG. Prove it. The “push” is to cure disease. Everyone who “buys a shot” improves the success rate. But OH NO! It must be an evil plot. Well even if true, it doesn’t work. These firms are barely afloat.
    2. Second premise: Your pal, the GOVERNMENT is more than happy to spend money on disease control and buy a round for everyone. Some want to help people, some want to be reelected. Either way. It’s spit over Niagara Falls compared to other health care budget items.

Your entire $ argument: baseless, wrong. You are making sh-_ up. Again.

Next: You wrote: “Also, are you insinuating that you “pay 100 clams a month” to treat a VPD? Otherwise it has zero bearing on the discussion, does it?”

Wow. This nicely encapsulates your fallacious thinking. Most readers would pick up on the fact that I was arguing against the group psychosis that “Big Pharma” is to blame for all the world’s ills. In fact, by adding in the comment on the military industrial complex, I was further comparing the Big Pharma Vaccine Conspiracy with other common conspiracy theories spouting off by the same folks who believe that 911 was an inside job and we never landed on the moon. Anyone whose keyboard allows “Big Pharma” to come out of their keyboard already has a problem.

You should have just stuck to your first line there when you wrote: “You’re absolutely right.” That’s not true of course; not absolutely. But allowing reality to sink into my education has helped me get closer(to being “right”) than you. You really should try it. Get out some and experience the world outside. You come across as quite the isolated troglodyte.

Good luck

1. Fangbeer says:

Jumpswimsnipe:

My first premise is not wrong. It’s basic economics. Regardless, your response certainly doesn’t support your singular premise that the only motivation is the elimination of disease. For the purposes of the production of a seasonal vaccine, it’s not at all necessary that anyone receive the shot. All that is necessary is that someone pays for the shot.

Your response to my second premise only underscores the problems of regulator capture. If the government is willing to fork over 3 billion dollars to build a vaccine stockpile, you had better be damned sure that their motives go beyond getting elected next year, and that their interest is a little more involved than just wanting to help people.

You also said that you were arguing against a group psychosis that someone is to blame for all the worlds ills. On what planet does this group psychosis exist? Do you live there?

6. ConcernedParent says:

Fangbeer:

Fine. For the purposes of discussion, I concede that I went too far and overstated your position.

The onus of proof is still on you and your ilk: where is the influence? Where is the “regulatory capture”? Which Big Pharma Cronies are part of the AAP/CDC/FDA and are steering our vaccination policy in the US? And in what way is it being steered negatively? How are pharmaceutical companies influencing the AAP/CDC to put unnecessary vaccines into our kids?

If you’re going to even imply such, you’d better have facts to prove it. Not bare allegations and musings devoid of substance. Let’s have the proof…

1. Fangbeer says:

The proof is not on my “ilk” to show that vaccines aren’t always the appropriate method of infectious disease management. That’s not how science works. The proof is on those who develop a new vaccine to show its efficacy, safety, and appropriateness.

Your argument thus far has been “vaccines work, stupid.” It’s hardly been a very compelling argument that all vaccines and vaccination schedules work, are appropriate, and are safe. It’s hardly been a compelling argument that medical science has suddenly become devoid of flaw in the area of public safety. It’s hardly been a compelling argument that anyone should refrain from skepticism for the sake of the “herd.”

After all, every medical catastrophe in history came from a place of wanting to help people.

Also: You asked me to prove regulatory capture. This is not something that can be specifically proven without a public investigation. What I can do is show you a study that found during the period 2001 – 2004 28% of the 3000 FDA advisory committee members disclosed financial ties within the previous year to pharmaceutical companies whose products were under consideration or to competitors of those companies. That means more then a quarter of them have a direct financial interest in the success or failure of any given product.

Are you okay with that?

1. ConcernedParent says:

“Am I Ok with that” you ask? Without more info, I can’t say. How much $ did these folks actually make from their financial ties? What are the nature of the ties – direct stock in PharmaCo or a generic HC fund in a 401k? More to the point, how many of the financial ties in question are directly linked to vaccine manufacture & approval? (And what of your concession in this debate that PharmaCo’s actually make very little from vaccines – thus, these FDA members with financial stakes make very little if any from the ties, and less of a reason to lie?)

You have an obligation to think through your implications to their logical conclusions, otherwise it’s just irresponsible argument. If what you are saying is true, I have to believe everyone involved has malfeasance and malevolence in their hearts – from the MD who creates the vaccine, to the PharmaCo and its employees who make it, to the Ped who injects it. Put simply, you just can’t lob a generic “Collusion! Corruption!” argument without offering specific facts of the who, what, when, where, why – doing so just breeds mistrust and fans the flames of irrational fear. For me, I choose to err on the side of trust – trust in the MD who wants to stop an infant suffering and finds a cure for the disease, trust in the PharmaCo who wants to make the cure available for all, trust in my Ped who has likely seen what happens when children remain unvaccinated and get critically ill. I commend to you Cynthia Cristofani’s interview on PBS. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/vaccines/interviews/cristofani.html

7. JumpSwimSnipe says:

Oh yes- Whooping Cough vaccines – it is all a big conspiracy by Big Pharma. That’s right, those companies that make ALMOST NOTHING on vaccine production! Trust me, they’d rather be making the next Viagara. No wonder so many have gone out of business and so few are still producers of vaccines And yes, this is the same “Big Pharma” that spends billions researching cures for diseases and that has lengthened the life expectancy of us all. If it wasn’t for Big Pharma I’d be dead right now. I pay 100 clams a month for one of my medicines. It’s hard for me to afford it, but SH…I would pay for it if it was $500. Or more. (BTW, washin my hands isn’t going to cure me, moonbats.)

You people who know a lot of facts, but miss the big picture scare me. You are what is wrong with this country. Maybe you should go to medical school and learn the history of disease control and study Epidemiology (and 5 or 6 THOUSAND studies) before you go spouting off like you know everything. You see two studies and you know it all. You probably think that Autism is caused by vaccines and that the “Military Industrial Complex” is what runs the world. (I think it saved my a– in Afghanistan thank-you-very-much.)

Very few vaccines still have mercury in them them and the ones that do have less than a tuna fish sandwich. BFD man.

Know what. Trust no one. That way you will always know what’s best.

1. ConcernedParent says:

Amen brother. Finally someone on here who’s not wearing a tinfoil hat!!!

2. Fangbeer says:

You’re absolutely right. They do have a very thin profit margin on vaccine production. It’s one of the reasons why there is such a push to make sure everyone in the country buys a shot. These reasons are two fold. One, it makes the production of the vaccine viable, and two it helps to reduce the cost the consumer must fork over for a dose. Of course, the profit margin of the product has nothing to do with the efficacy of the product, or the model that we currently employ to protect our children from infectious disease.

3. Vaccines are Useless says:

Jump,

drugresearcher.com – 2007 Kids Vaccine Market Set to Quadruple.

8. Jane says:

Martha: Sounds like you’re a real health nut. Are you on the birth control pill? Do you know of the connection between bc pills and blood clots in the lungs? They are a serious problem for young women in their twenties. I’m sure that you’ll want to jump right on that deadly epidemic, especially since doctors routinely misinform patients about risks of the pill. Not a chic cause though so maybe you only want to get your knickers in a twist about vaccines. There’s a lot of hypocrites out there who are hostile to medical professionals, but only in certain areas. If they put you on the pill or want to sterilize you, they’re great.

9. Vaccines are Useless says:

The denmark study author embezzled millions of dollars from the CDC and ran 2 studies simulatneously – unethical. This data is also bogus, because the author basically tried to compare autism rates in Sunnyvale, CA to autism rates in ALL of CA. Not percentages, raw numbers. If you read the study, you’ll see what I mean. He broadened the scope of the study after it was already underway.

I do not have a societal responsibility to inject my children with known toxins, be it formaldehyde, mercury, aluminum, polysorbate 80, MSG, porcine viruses, bovine DNA, or anything else. It is my job to protect my children from people like you who want to sacrifice some for the good of all. Not my child. Not EVER.

Also, check out the graph Jason posted. Most diseases were irradicated simply through improved hygeine, long before vaccines were introduced.

1. ConcernedParent says:

We can do this all day.

1. Fourteen Studies is part of “Generation Rescue” – Jenny McCarthy’s pet project. She used to say “vaccines cause autism” now since there’s no evidence to support that, she now says “vaccines cause something – I don’t know what, I don’t know how, but they cause something.” Keep moving the goal posts, Jenny – you’ll find something, someday. As a former Playboy Bunny, she prob even had a few romps with Perv Hugh Hefner back in the day – a credible source?? Hardly.

2. Remove mercury from your list. It’s been out since 1992.

3. When you are sick of hearing stories like these, let me know. http://www.vaccineinformation.org/pertuss/cases.asp

4. You say known toxins like “formaldehyde, … aluminum, polysorbate 80, MSG, porcine viruses, bovine DNA, or anything else.” You get more aluminum in the turkey sandwich you had for lunch, more MSG in that Cashew Chicken you’ll eat for dinner, than what’s in 10 shots. Even Dr. Sears says these ingredients are not harmful!

5. When are people going to give other people the benefit of the doubt, and not think that “Everyone’s out to get me, my money, and my child”. Yes, it’s all a HUGE conspiracy, everyone’s a thief and liar, Big Pharma and your Ped really need your $25 copay, they’ll starve without it! Are you listening to yourself?

6. Watch the Vaccine War – the 50 yr old bioethics prof contracted polio right before the vaccine came out, and suffered NEEDLESSLY in the hospital for a month. Tell him “Vaccines are Useless” why don’t you. I dare you in fact. See what he says.

1. Vaccines are Useless says:

If you’re unwilling to discount studies conducted by docs paid by the pharmaceutical companies, then you cannot discount Fourteen Studies for being part of McCarthy’s. That’s a double standard.

2. You are misinformed on mercury. Go to the CDC’s website, the “pink book” and it will list the vaccines that still have mercury in them, either as an actual ingredient or in trace amounts through processing.

3. Listen, it doesn’t matter if 100% of people are vaccinated, unhealthy people who live on GMO’s, aspartame, and other unhealthy foods are going to die of illness. Our health begins with the shopping cart, not with the needle.

4. I do not eat MSG. I read labels and eat organically and locally. My family does not eat processed foods, including lunch meat. Sorry… you didn’t get me there. And again, if you TRULY understood what each of these ingredients represented, you’d stay as far away as possible. Polysorbate 80 is linked heavily to infertility.

5. Give the benefit of the doubt to WHOM, exactly? The Danish study’s author that has embezzled US tax money? $2M? The doctors that say they’re looking out for you while getting paid to represent drugs from Merck, etc.? Isn’t that an inherent conflict of interest?

6. For the 3rd time, I’ve seen it. Their propoganda doesn’t scare me. You have yet to address the graphic charts showing that all diseases were on the decline before vaccines ever arrived. You haven’t addressed the profit motive, which I have clearly proven through previous links. You haven’t addressed the ULTIMATE issue, which is… no one, not one person on this earth can force me to inject something into my or my child’s body without my consent. That is called individual liberty and it’s what makes America what it is. I will never wilt in the face of such blatant social pressure to “follow the herd”…even if it’s right off a cliff.

As for polio, do your own research, read books. There is a great one out about the polio vaccine and its contamination with SV40. The gov’t did not recall the vaccines, even after they knew about it. That virus has now been found in the brains and bones of people who died from cancer. The Rotovirus vaccine was pulled RECENTLY for the same issue. So I am supposed to give these people – who want to shoot stuff into my kid, wait 30 years and THEN say… OOPS. Our bad, and by the way, you can’t sue the drug maker or the gov’t for your problems because you can’t prove it.

By all means, take every vaccine I’m passing up. I will enjoy good health and not become a chronic, lifetime customer of Big Pharma. I do not think any less of you for your views. The problem is, you can’t return the same courtesy.

10. Fangbeer says:

It’s nice that you didn’t let not being able to understand what I wrote stop you from commenting.

1. ConcernedParent says:

No, I I think I got it actually, unfortunately it takes me several readings to cut through sheer crud, but let’s recap your position:

1. Vaccines don’t work.
      2. Vaccines poison our kids, must cause autism, must cause ______ (fill in blank with desired disease here).
      3. Vaccine makers care only about profits, even if babies die.
      4. Vaccine inventors (like the EVIL head of Pediatrics at UPenn’s Med Ctr who co-developed the Rotavirus infant vaccine) are only in it for the money and in fact hate infants.
      5. The AAP and CDC (who came up with the schedule and which are NOT regulatory agencies by the way; one is a voluntary prof. association of Ped’s! Do you know which one?) are just “stacked” with EVIL Big Pharma cronies.
      6. Herd immunity is a myth propagated by EVIL Big Pharma.

That about sum it up, Fangbeer? Did I miss any? Let me know…

1. Fangbeer says:

Are these comments currently being moderated, or are my posts just being eaten by the wordpress engine?

2. Fangbeer says:

ConcernedParent:

A strawman is a device that people use in an argument when they cannot rebut the things that their opponents actually say.

If you dispute that you created a massive strawman, could you please quote the part of my posts that said anything about evil rich corporate fatcats? I’d also like a citation about “going back to the 1800’s” and anything that I’ve said about “Big Pharma.”

Your entire list of things you think I have said is culled from some fantasy person that you invented in your head. I didn’t say that vaccines don’t work. I said they aren’t 100% effective. Ironically, I was responding to someone claiming to be an MD who said exactly the same thing. I didn’t say they are poisoning our kids or that they cause autism. I said that some people feel the risks are overshadowed by the benefits. I didn’t say that vaccine makers only care about profits. I said that regulators can be influenced by the industries that they regulate.

3. Fangbeer says:

I’m not going to go through each one. I’ll just sum up. You’ve obviously pictured some big monster in your head that has all these extreme positions that it takes and you’ve cast me in the monster suit. Saying that regulators can be influenced by industry does not equate to saying that vaccine makers want to kill kids or that they only care about profits. In fact, it’s completely illogical and irrational to leap to such a conclusion. It is completely logical to be concerned when the supposition is that the health of our nation hinges on the quality and efficacy of a product of a single supplier.

11. Fangbeer says:

ConcernedParent

Your post is filled with nothing but speculation and prejudice. I’m glad you feel you know more then I know about vaccinations and their efficacy. I would like to point out though that your evidence to support that claim is less than zero. You don’t know me, and it’s almost funny that you are willing to leap to these conclusions almost as fast as the strawmen people you’ve concocted leap to their conclusions.

I’m also glad that you don’t believe in the concept of regulatory capture. You keep on believing that people who stand to profit from government policies have no interest in directing those policies. You have no reason to be concerned that the people who regulate American industries actually come from the industry being regulated. You have no reason to believe that anyone would actually have an interest in making sure that everyone in the nation feels obligated to purchase a specific product.

1. ConcernedParent says:

Well I guess you can just “color me stupid” because I can’t make heads or tails of what you just said. Other than the fact you’re now a confirmed “guilty until proven innocent” tinfoil hatter. Damn the corporations! They are just those “evil rich” Obama keeps talking about! They hate infants and want to poison them with their ineffectual vaccines!

Oh wait…polio and diphtheria (nearly) has been eradicated in the US by those same EVIL RICH CORPORATE FATCATS…and hmm…pertussis and rotavirus infection rates among others have gone down by 90% since vaccines were introduced…

No you’re right Fangbeer, let’s go back to the 1800’s and cripple our kids with polio.. cause them to suffer needlessly with pertussis and diptheria…but before we all go back to the Stone Age with you, can you just take a listen to the audio clip of this kid struggling for breath WITH A PREVENTABLE DISEASE! http://www.soundsofpertussis.com/

That’s right, remove the “BIG PHARMA” block on your browser, and take a gander…thanks! Of course, if you have no heart or conscience, this won’t work.

12. ConcernedParent says:

For all of you that think Big Pharma and the Feds are in cahoots to poison our kids, the proof is on you: prove who funded PBS’s The Vaccine War (I thought it was “viewers like me”). Prove that Big Pharma is paying off Ped’s to mandate that the AAP/CDC schedule is followed by all their infant patients (not all Ped’s follow it by the way, including my son’s). And who is “Big Pharma” anyway – which companies? Are there any vaccine makers that aren’t a part of this military-industrial-type conspiracy you speak of? And if you’re right, why hasn’t the Congress simply mandated vaccination rather than leaving it up for debate amongst the states, so their Big Pharma buddies can get the maximum profits from their vaccines??

You all are proving your “idgiocy” with every post. Keep it coming! Next, you’ll tell me that Vaccines = Autism. No wait, that got disproved…try again Jenny McCarthyites…take the word of a Playboy Bunny over your kid’s MD, that’s real critical thinking…

13. Fangbeer says:

Concerned Parent,

Perhaps you feel content that you are fully educated on a topic after watching the 60 minute Frontline episode entitled “The vaccine war.” Other concerned parents involved themselves a little bit deeper into the issue then that, but by all means, you go ahead and let PBS tell you how you should raise your children.

1. ConcernedParent says:

Fangbeer, I likely know more about it than you do. I have an infant at home and I studied the issue thoroughly every time he had to get a shot. Including reading Dr. Sears’ Vaccine Book about 10 times cover to cover. I also have an autistic nephew. I also read the recent study of 500k kids in Denmark that found no link between vaccines or their ingredients and autism. But go ahead, I know you read the 1998 Lancet study of 12 kids by Dr. Wakefield, so clearly you’re more educated than I am about it. Oh wait…that got retracted…oops…

We have a societal responsibility to think beyond “me first” and consider the harm we do to the nation and the world when we withhold vaccines that prevent suffering and death, and erode herd immunity. There is a God, and He is watching, folks…hope you’ve got a good explanation for Him when you have an INFANT’S BLOOD ON YOUR HANDS.

1. Vaccines are Useless says:

14. skuts says:

Deadly Chemical Sprays on American Cities The 13 Most Evil U.S. Government Experiments on Humans Anything
    Showing once again that the U.S. always tends to test out worse-case scenarios by getting to them first and with the advent of biochemical warfare in the mid 20th century, the Army, CIA and government conducted a series of warfare simulations upon American cities to see how the effects would play out in the event of an actual chemical attack.

They conducted the following air strikes/naval attacks:

– The CIA released a whooping cough virus on Tampa Bay, using boats, and so caused a whooping cough epidemic. 12 people died.

– The Navy sprayed San Francisco with bacterial pathogens and in consequence many citizens developed pneumonia.

– Upon Savannah, GA and Avon Park, FL, the army released millions of mosquitoes in the hopes they would spread yellow fever and dengue fever. The swarm left Americans struggling with fevers, typhoid, respiratory problems, and the worst, stillborn children.

Even worse was that after the swarm, the Army came in disguised as public health workers. Their secret intention the entire time they were giving aid to the victims was to study and chart-out the long term effects of all the illnesses they were suffering.

1. broccoliobama says:

Can we all say together now, “URBAN MYTHS.”

15. Tracy says:

Concerened Parent, You have extreme tunnel vision. You’d do well to adjust your focus and see the bigger picture. Remove emotion from the equation and look at the facts. Start with removing fear. When you do that, its amazing what you can find out.

16. Fangbeer says:

Meghan,

This is specious reasoning. The idea that a particular infectious disease has a herd immunity threshold which protects the herd from a disease is contradicted by your premise that the disease will return should our threshold dip. Obviously the disease must remain active in the herd in order for the disease to return. Thus, it must remain active above the threshold in order to become active below it.

Clearly the disease remains active in carriers with either no secondary immune response, or carriers with reduced secondary immune response. I find it rather ironic that you stated that “people concerned with process don’t understand that no vaccine in 100% effective.” I think they do understand that vaccines aren’t 100% effective. In fact, that’s one of the reasons they do not wish to administer them to their children.

Whether they believe that the child stands a better chance of developing a stronger secondary immune response to wild strains then to deactivated strains, or whether they believe that potential benefits of vaccinations are overshadowed by potential risks of vaccinations I don’t think it could be said of the majority of them that they don’t understand what vaccinations are or how they work..

17. ConcernedParent says:

Vaccines are Useless: you’re wrong again, idgit!

San Diego outbreak occurred because of the Denier Idgits down there – up to 30% of an UNVACCINATED population! PBS’s The Vaccine War covered this.

But go ahead, keep spreading the lies…how many kids have to die? Or even just SUFFER?!? My God, watch the PBS video – if that 1.5 month old infant struggling for breath because she contracted a PREVENTABLE DISEASE doesn’t make you cry, then you’re just an idgit blinded by your own conspiracy BS. And you’re hurting ALL OF US by spreading mistruths. Thanks, idgit. PS – you’re an idgit, did I mention that?

1. ConcernedParent says:

And you’re right, a 40 year old infant can’t get the Pertussis vaccine, but her brother and his classmate COULD HAVE GOTTEN THE TDAP BOOSTER AND DIDN’T. Educate YOURSELF please, idgit.

1. Vaccines are Useless says:

Yes, calling me names really underscores your education and training on this subject. 🙂 I am thoroughly impressed.

I have seen Vaccine Wars, and again, 2/3 of San Diego residents were fully immunized during the outbreak. See: http://www.kpbs(dot)org/news/2010/sep/07/vaccinated-people-getting-whooping-cough-sd/

Replace the (dot) with a . and it’ll take you there. Live in fear. It’s okay. It’s easier to call me names than research and dig for the truth. I can’t believe you’d base your entire working knowledge of vaccines on one PBS special.

18. Vaccines are Useless says:

The Vaccine War was funded by BIG PHARMA AND THE GOV’T! Don’t they have a vested interest in the vaccination program? Do you honestly trust your gov’t with regards to your health?

Guess what…40 day old baby can’t have a pertussis vaccination. They’re not old enough. And please, someone tell me how it can be proven that it was gotten from an unvax’d person? And if her brother was fully immunized, how did he get it? Also, do you know that people “shed” the pertussis vaccine? Yes, if you are vaccinated, you can give it to somone else because your body sheds it.. It is not preventable. Life happens, the strain mutates. Please educate yourself.

One more thing…the gov’t preys on our fears of sickness and disease and these pharma co’s are making money hand over fist because we are so far removed from nature. We don’t know where our food comes from, we buy hand sanitizers by the truckload… and someone is profiting from your fear.

19. Vaccines are Useless says:

I listed 2 studies and 2 news articles proving that the recent pertussis outbreaks have been among highly vaccinated populations that were fully immunized. Apparently, the moderator didn’t like those.

Google “San Diego pertussis outbreak” and “Indiana pertussis outbreak”

20. ConcernedParent says:

You vaccine deniers are just like the Birthers. Bunch of idgits.

INFANTS DIE FROM PERTUSSIS. Go to pbs.org (if you idgits even know how to use the Inter-Web, that is) and watch The Vaccine War. Pay particular attention to the video of the 40-day-old infant in the ER with Pertussis, turning blue because she CAN’T BREATHE. Caught it from her brother who caught it from an unvaccinated kid at school.

This is a preventable disease, folks! If everyone got vaccinated and kept up with boosters, Pertussis would go the way of Polio – eliminated in the US. But because of idgits like you and your tinfoil-hat NONSENSE, INFANTS KEEP DYING.

21. Dennis says:

Obama did it!

22. Vaccines are Useless says:

Jason – thank you. That graph is dead on!

Megan – sounds like brainwashing by Big Pharma to me. We have achieved herd immunity for pertussis, measles, TB, etc.. and guess what. THEY’RE STILL HERE! Also, if you truly do your research, you will see that most communicable diseases were on the decline before immunization was introduced (ie – polio and smallpox) and that HYGIENE helped more than anything else. As living conditions improved, so did the rate of disease and death. Please don’t belittle those of us without a PHD. Sometimes, it’s hard to see the truth when your head is so far up in the…textbook.

23. Harpotoo says:

Bed Bugs, Whooping cough, Leprosy, Plague!!!

Illegal Aliens are a POX on US!!!

24. MeganPhD says:

To all of you talking about a process you obviously do not understand: NO vaccine is 100% effective. The reason that EVERYONE should get vaccinated is because vaccines work as “herd Immunity”. This means that when a certain percentage of the population is vaccinated, it “protects” even those who are not vaccinated (like newborns), or those upon whom the vaccine doesn’t fully protect. The whooping cough vaccine does have boosters, as it does wear down over time, but most vaccinated people actually will be protected to some degree at least until age 65. Those of you who believe that it is your choice to not vaccinate and that your decision affects only you, you are dead wrong. Those who do not vaccinate endanger everyone. Once the level of vaccination dips below the herd immunity threshold, diseases we thought were history WILL return.

25. Jason says:

These immunization graphs show that diseases were on the decline before vaccines were even available.

1. ConcernedParent says:

This DISHONEST study you cite is discussed in detail here. http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2010/03/the_intellectual_dishonesty_of_the_vacci.php

“Gene’s Green Book” cites to MORTALITY RATES for diseases which isn’t relevant to INFECTION RATES. Sure, less people die of a disease because our medical care improves over time. INFECTION RATES of MMR, HIB, etc. were GOING UP until vaccines were introduced!

Good grief, people! Don’t y’all READ??? I can’t respect someone who’s WILFULLY BLIND to the truth!

26. broccoliobama says:

Why would they name a disease after Whooping Goldberg?

27. Jeff Sabo says:

You are being silly. Look at rates of infections prior to vaccines becoming available and then after. It takes a willing suspension of belief to say that vaccines do not work.

28. Vaccines are useless. says:

Martha – I am with you on this. We no longer vaccinate because it doesn’t confer immunity and it also delivers formaldehyde, MSG, aluminum, mercury and other known toxins into my child’s body.

Look at recent outbreaks of pertussis. Most who contracted the disease are fully immunized and the babies who have died were too young to be vaccinated, so it’s useless either way. In Indiana, the county with the lowest vaccination rate also has the lowest pertussis contraction rate. Can that be explained?

Please respect those of us who have decided vaccines aren’t for us. We have thoroughly researched this topic and know much more than those who simply take their doctor’s, government’s, or society’s word as gospel truth. The tobacco companies said their products were safe and healthful. See how that turned out? Our day is coming.

29. Antoinette says:

I juist got vaccinated so that I won’t give it to my grandkids — other granparents might do so as well.

30. VaccinateMe says:

Martha — when insulting someone’s spelling, make sure you don’t mess yours up, particularly when that person has misspelled on purpose to insult the (lack of) intelligence of the anti-vaccine crowd. Nobody mentioned flu shots, the comment was directed to people who are against all vaccines — which, interestingly enough, tends to be chiropractors around here. Weird, I know.

Also, whooping cough, in particular requires boosters. Learn about it before posting, or else you make yourself look silly.

1. Fangbeer says:

VaccinateME.

You’re right. No one mentioned flu shots. Why did you mention flu shots?

What makes you think that Martha doesn’t know that Tdap requires boosters? What makes you think the nurse in question didn’t have them?

31. Martha says:

Why is she stupid? She most likely submitted to the vaccine… just goes to show you that the shots are not working… they are “wearing off” decades later….. Not all people with Whooping Cough have it as bad to the degree where the cough comes into play… Most have it and don’t even know it. And, why is everyone so scared? If the shots do work then shouldn’t you all be covered? I mean you give so much credit to the vaccine industry…. where are you now to defend this case?

32. VaccinateMe says:

Here come the anti-vaccine nuts…”vaccines are teh bad and dey give you teh dame bramage!” They also keep you FROM GETTING WHOOPING COUGH AND POLIO.

I used CAPS because that’s cruise control for cool.

1. Martha says:

oh do the shots really keep you from getting whooping cough? I think that the nurse in question is most likely fully vaccinate… you idiot… learn to spell.

1. Tony Fanuci says:

Martha, vaccines for whooping cough are only effective for 5 years. BTW, “most likely fully vaccinate” should read “most likely fully vaccinated” idiot.

2. Jessica says:

well said martha

33. Kala says:

Don’t tell me the reoccerence of these diseases has nothing to do with ILLEGAL immigrants. New York can keep up their liberal policies on illegals but they need to quarrantine themselves from the rest of the country.

1. Martha says:

The surge in disease, as in whopping cough is cyclical…. the shots don’t work regardless of where you were born.. WAKE UP FOLKS!!!!

2. esther says:

BINGO!

3. hm says:

lol, you crazy.
      this is not a disease limited to third world countries. Its incidence peaks and troughs in the US just like several other infectious diseases,(despite vaccinations). furthermore, it is largely a pediatric infection treated with antibiotics, with race-predominance mostly in caucasians (>80%). The incidence in adults is rising due to a number of factors, 1. the immunity conferred by the vaccine does not last a lifetime, in fact, it starts to wane before one reaches adolescence, 2. it is now being diagnoses more often, simply because infants are not dying from the disease and there are fewer immunocomprising co-morbid conditions in our communities, (in contrast to when this was a largely fatal disease decades ago). Healthy people don’t die from this disease. There is a bunch more to discuss, but I’m out!
      p.s. I am not an ID doctor, so I invite any differing opinion or understanding.
      BTW, it’s spelled “occurrence”

34. Ramzi Ismail, MD says:

I wonder what the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta Ga. thinks about it?

1. Robin Horsley says:

I’m sure obama has control of the CDC as well which means we won’t learn the truth of this-ever!
      Irish-Brits and Aussies have a tough time trying to live and work in this country but…guess who gets a pass?…yup

35. Jojo says:

Very stupid nurse. You know you work in the maternity ward of a hospital being exposed to moms newborns and you go to work sick. whooping cough symptom is a bad sometimes phlemy cough. People if you are sick stay home. Especially if you are a healthcare worker.

Comments are closed.