Judge Removes Juror At Bronx Terror Trial Tuesday
NEW YORK (CBS 2/AP) – A juror has been removed at the trial of four men caught in an FBI terror sting, but deliberations will go on.
A judge dismissed the juror on Tuesday after learning last week that the juror had accidentally seen a document that wasn’t in evidence.
After denying a defense motion for a mistrial, the judge ordered deliberations to continue with 11 jurors. Jurors are deliberating for a fourth day.
The jury was sent home Friday when the judge learned one juror had a transcript ruled inadmissible before the trial. Jurors told the judge they had come across the transcript of a recorded call between a defendant and his father, a document that wasn’t in evidence. It apparently had been put in a juror’s evidence binder by mistake.
The judge questioned each juror before sending them home so authorities could examine all the binders.
Prosecutors said James Cromitie hatched a plot with a paid FBI informant to bomb New York City synagogues, and recruited his three co-defendants to fire missiles at a New York military base.
Along with the alleged bomb plot, the four men were accused of planning to shoot down military planes at a New York National Guard base.
The defense has said the government entrapped their clients.
(TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)