New Rules For Outdoor Lighting At Night On L.I.

ISLIP, NY (WCBS 880) – The light police are now watching over your bulbs on Long Island.

LISTEN: WCBS 880 L.I. Bureau Chief Mike Xirinachs reports

Islip is imposing new ‘dark skies’ rules, restricting outdoor lights on homes to no stronger than 100 watts and requiring businesses to turn off exterior lights within a half hour of closing.

Homeowner James Keaton thinks it all makes good financial sense.

“It’s expensive now, you know,” Keaton told WCBS 880 Long Island Bureau Chief Mike Xirinachs. “On that point of view, it might not be such a bad idea.”

Supporters say the new light restrictions are healthier and will help us all to see the stars more clearly at night.

To that, George says, “People can’t see the skies because your bills are too high.”

At least seven other Long Island towns have imposed similar light restrictions.

More from Mike Xirinachs
Comments

1. Yephora says:

LESS LIGHT, MORE CRIME!

2. DR. says:

This is a great way to create jobs, light bulb police, salt police, french fries police etc etc.these libs are brilliant .

3. betsp says:

People who sit on city councils have too much time and too little brains. I think the dimly lit bulbs are in their heads. Congress is voting on loud commercials instead of lowering our taxes and this knee jerk group is ordering from on high what lights people can use. Time to clean house. Idiots must be fired.

4. ann biz says:

With the horrible state of the Economy, the Wars, Immigration, Terror Threats….this is how they are wasting time and resources? Shameful! Lots of overtime for municipal employees, though.

5. Mike says:

Security lights aren’t that much of a deterrent. Most home break ins occur during the day. One would be better off with a sensor that turns them on, so the criminal has to make a choice of whether or not it was automatic or not.
    As for business etc., this law is probably a good thing since they have tons of lights on for no real reason. And schools and townships also! Why is the local football field/little league field flooded with lights on after midnight anyway??
    I agree we don’t need more government telling us what to do but if people would just use some common sense then idiotic laws wouldn’t be necessary.

6. Lightbulbs ROCK! says:

Also, the good news is – since this is a CBS article and the comments are overwhelmingly against this siiliness, we know that there are still more of us who want the government out of our lives than there are the folks like Joe who want to have government run us like a bunch of moronic drones. WOO HOO… We are still the majority! I can’t wait until Nov. 2nd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Lightbulbs ROCK! says:

Joe, who are you (or the govt) to decide when I need my lights on? Maybe my hobby is watering my lawn in the middle of the night….maybe my hobby is shooting hoops at 1am……you are condoning the regulation of our daily activities and there is no end in sight. I understand the reason you have your opinion, but that does not mean it is ok to force others because it suits you. I agree with Kenneth. He is absolutely correct…you should work harder to convince others to make the choice themselves…don’t legislate it.

8. Kenneth says:

@Joe: In that case, the right answer is to write more articles, convince people with the strength of your ideas, and let people make the decision for themselves. If you have to seek the force of law to coerce people to comply with your ideas, it’s a good indicator that your ideas don’t stand on their own. It’s lazy, it’s a blatant admission that your argument won’t stand on it’s own, and, generally, it’s far more morally repugnant than whatever you’re trying to prevent.

When you advocate a system in which you can force your ideas on others just by being louder, you’re advocating a system in which others can do exactly the same to you. How about we all advocate where there is less force and more discussion? Try to convince me, and I’ll listen. We can have a conversation. Try to force me, and all civility stops in favor of warring tribalism. You are currently advocating the latter.

1. Joe says:

The IDA has the proof, I am not speaking from ignorance but from professional knowlegde . Breast cancer iIS LINKED to light pollution, it is a fact. Read this website and enlighten yourselves.

2. joe says:

I have had a hobby for 40 yrs, that hobby is being taken away from me and our children. What hobbies do you have that are being taken away from you? It is not fair to the future generations. You don’t need your lights on all night, not only are you wasting electricity, coal, tons of CO2 in the atmosphere, bulbs, affecting wildlife, you are causing light pollution which is robbing people of their wonders of the night sky. I can go on and on, but the IDA has all the info you need. I agree that gov’t has no right to tell us what to do , but when it effects other people , we must compromise..

9. MadeleineT says:

HUH? what animal would I have that needs ot eat snakes? you’re scaring me. cancer is caused from stress and depressinon, it will cause cancer faster than a light bulb. The lights were on in my neighborhood most of the night and I never even knew anyone with cancer then but we also didn’t have people checking our homes to see what lights were lit. that would stress me out

10. Joe says:

This law should be in every state. As it is there is so much light pollution that we can no longer see the milky way. There are parts of the country where the milky way is so bright it casts a shadow. If light pollution continues on its path, my children will not be able to see the night sky. I have written articles on the health problems and animal reproduction problems associated with light pollution. Actually lights will not deter criminals, and it actually blinds you from seeing the criminal. Instead use infra red cameras, they are very cheap today, cheaper than paying the utility bill on lights, and the criminal has no idea he is on camera. Light pollution is linked to breast cancer and the disruption of bird, reptile and insect feeding and reproduction. Which in turn hurts other animals that feed and depend on the others affected.

1. betsp says:

I think the biggest danger today is nosy poker pollution. Ever hear of that? A London research study group found that people who try to control the lives of others cause electrical sparks to shoot out of the ears of freedom loving Americans. This is very dangerous. Turn your own lights off if you want to, but leave me alone. Have a great night.

11. Meathead says:

Just another way for government to bring us down one stupid law at a time.

12. Brett FavrePics says:

We should consider ourselves very fortunate to have government folks who are able to make these decisions for us. In the old days, before free government education, citizens made their own decisions. It was scary and you had to live with, and learn from the consequences of your decisions. Now we can relax and know that doing what the government prescribes will lead to utopian bliss.

13. Rob says:

Absolutely ridiculous.

14. Jan Bentley says:

I’ll do what I damn well please too.If a business closes you may want your lights
    on to protect your property it’s no ones damn business.People wanted HOPE and
    CHANGE ,so how’s it working for ya??? VOTE CONSERVATIVE NOV 2ND

15. John says:

You people are insane if you think this is ok!

16. Kim says:

Y’all need to wakeup and reclaim your freedom before it’s too late! Government controls your food, your car, toilet, etc……we fought a war 235 years ago to get out from under tyranny and it’s back again!

1. Jan says:

I’m with you !

17. c1102 says:

So I guess this means that since we can’t light up our homes at night to guard against the burglars, this means we can load up on the ammo we will need to protect ourselves. Yeah right….that’s next.

Armed and ready in Texas

18. Scott says:

I’m curious where the government derives the authority to create laws like this. What ever happened to freedom?

1. Cyndi says:

That’s the big question! It’s like they just can’t leave us alone. Hey, Govt. get out of my face!!

19. seestraight says:

Silly ass tree huggers. Why not use the curly compact flourescents that spill mercury into your water? Or you can pay $25 a pop for LEDs. Or you could just crawl back into your caves…….

20. Jeff says:

Are you supporters of this law THAT stupid?! You now have an actual LAW that tells you when you have to turn your lights on and off. How can you NOT see a problem with that?!

21. Abe Beam says:

People in Islip can’t see stars at night, as the streets of the township are not safe; so they don’t go out.

Further most of the light pollution over Long Island comes from New York City. If you don’t think so, look west some evening.

22. Markie says:

It’s a red letter day for Islip’s burglars and vandals!!!

1. Puh-lease says:

Huh?! Just use motion sensors on your outdoor lights. No need to spew light all over the neighborhood all night long.

23. Ronnie says:

Is it just me or has nobody ever heard of solar powered outside lighting. I live in Florida and purchased ouside lighting 2 yrs ago, they still glow just as bright as the first day I installed them, and the price was unbelievably low. Chedk Home Depot, Costco and Overstock.com for good deals.

24. Pi$$ed Off Long Islander says:

If I am paying for the electric, I will use whatever lights I want!

1. Dark = good says:

Pi$$ed: As long as your lighting isn’t spilling over into neighbors’ yards, do whatcha want. No need to knot your panties up.

25. Dark fan says:

I wish this would be mandatory everywhere.

1. steven says:

vote these crazy libs out!

Comments are closed.