News

Child Pricks Herself On Dirty Needle In Hospital

Hailey Rodriguez (credit: CBS 2)

Hailey Rodriguez (credit: CBS 2)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — A toddler’s life may be at risk following a trip to the doctor’s office.

Three-year-old Hailey Rodriguez is suffering through a medical nightmare. Her mom took her to Montefiore Medical Center to get treatment for a rash earlier this month.

While her mom was speaking with the doctor, Hailey reached inside an open, unsecured medical waste bin sitting on the floor and pricked herself with a dirty needle.

“She had blood on her stomach and blood on her hand, and I asked her what happened, and she walked me over to the bin,” said Nadia Maklad, Hailey’s mother. “She doesn’t want to eat, she can’t play, she doesn’t want to be around her friends, because they all think she’s contagious.”

Hailey is now on a cocktail of medication used to treat HIV.

The other worry is Hepatitis.

For the next six months, Hailey will continue taking the medication to see if any tests come back positive.