Video Helps Catch Man Suspected Of Animal Cruelty

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A suspect has been arrested for animal cruelty after police said he was captured on video violently yanking on the leash of a 10-pound dog.

In the video captured on Thursday, Sept. 30, by an elevator camera in the Grant Houses at 1315 Amsterdam Ave., a man wearing a New York Yankees jersey is seen whipping the leash and dog around while inside the elevator.

Carlos Baez, 29, was arrested on Oct. 2, and was been charged with one count of torturing and injuring animals and one count of unlawful possession of marijuana.

The NYPD said the 3-year-old dog named “Dutch” was taken to Animal Care and Control with the consent of its owner, and after an extensive examination was found to be in good condition with no injuries.

1. Steve says:

Bring back public canings.

2. Rob B says:

This seems to be standard practice among pit bull owners. I’ve seen this many times as they try to make their dogs mean.

3. Tom says:

Irvings treatment of his dog is a means to an end…..he wants a mean dog. What a jerk.

4. Belle says:

I am currently writing an ethics paper on Animal Cruelty and came across this video. The fact that there are people in this world that enjoy inflicting pain on something as small as this dog is despicable to me. I personally have a dog that looks very similar to this dog and am horrified at the thought that someone would treat something that loves as unconditionally as a dog like this. The dog doesn’t even try to fight back. This man obviously has a serious issue to act this way. And the most awful and yet amazing thing is this poor dog would probably still show love towards this horrendous man.

5. R says:

What is wrong with people? This is so mental.

6. dooky says:

When I find Carlos, I take him on a flight to about 30,000ft and test my hypothesis that a Carlos cannot fly w/o wings (and no chute)

7. Roy says:

Put a leash on this low life,and drag him around for a few blocks…..see how he likes it

1. Teia says: