NYC Landlord Cited At Home Where Fire Killed 1
NEW YORK (AP) – New York City officials have fined the owner of a Staten Island house where a woman died in a fire, saying the property and been illegally converted into a rooming house.
The Buildings Department said the attic in the house where 40-year-old Dorothy Adonolfi perished Friday did not have the appropriate permits.
The fire was started by an electrical heater.
Officials say the second floor of the home was illegally divided into single-room-occupancy units.
The department issued three violations with maximum penalties of between $10,000 and $25,000 each.
The violations were reported by the Staten Island Advance.
The Fire Department said no working fire detectors were found.
Building owner Rubenia Cortez did not immediately return a phone call for comment Saturday placed by The Associated Press.
(Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)