Foley Concedes Conn. Governor Race
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP/WCBS 880/1010 WINS) — Tom Foley, the Republican candidate for Connecticut governor, on Monday conceded to Democrat Dan Malloy, despite calls by the state GOP for investigations into the voting process in the state’s largest city.
Foley, a Greenwich businessman and former U.S. ambassador to Ireland, said although photocopied ballots that were used in Bridgeport amid a ballot shortage were unusual, they represented the good-faith efforts of people to cast their votes.
WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane Reports
1010 WINS Reporter Al Jones with the latest
“The election on Tuesday, although very close, was a conclusive victory for Dan Malloy,” Foley said, adding that he planned to call Malloy on Monday to wish him good luck. “I’m done with this governor’s race for sure.”
“Even though I will not be serving as your governor, I hope to use what I’ve learned to help our great state,” he said.
Connecticut Governor M. Jodi Rell released a statement Monday saying “I want to offer my personal congratulations to Governor-elect Malloy. I also extend my appreciation to both candidates for the patience they have shown during the extraordinary and often trying days that have followed the election.”
“My office stands ready to work hand-in-hand with the Governor-elect and his team in the coming weeks. Our common goal will always be the very best interests of the people of this great state,” Rell said.
According to numbers posted Monday on the website of Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz’s office, Malloy was leading Foley by 5,810 votes — a figure that has fluctuated since Friday, when Bridgeport election officials finally submitted their results. They had been waylaid by the ballot shortage and round-the-clock tallying.
The latest numbers show Malloy with 566,671 votes from the Democratic and Working Families Party lines and Foley with 560,861 from the Republican line. Independent Tom Marsh got 17,596 votes.
Foley’s campaign and state Republicans reviewed the election results over the weekend. Based on the preliminary inquiry, the state party hired an attorney, Ross Garber, and sent letters to the U.S. Attorney in Connecticut and the Chief States Attorney seeking an investigation into the voting process in Bridgeport.
The party claims it has uncovered evidence that the process was plagued by “significant deficiencies, irregularities and improprieties, most notably in connection with the creation and distribution of ballots: the counting of votes; and the tabulation of election results,” according to the letter.
Bridgeport’s voter registrars acknowledged they ordered only 21,000 ballots for the election, despite a recommendation from the secretary of the state’s office that they purchase at least one ballot for each of the city’s registered voters. The city has more than 69,000 registered voters.
The shortage led to delays at polling places, the use of photocopies as provisional ballots and eventually a court order that kept about half of the city precincts open two hours late.
(TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)