NYC Commuting Costs About To Skyrocket

Rising Tolls, Meters, Cost Of Gas Punching Drivers In The Gut

LONG ISLAND CITY, N.Y. (CBS 2) — If you drive to work in New York City buckle your seat belts and get ready for some serious sticker shock.

Soaring gas prices, and the increased tolls and parking fees that go into effect in January are going to send your commuting costs through the roof.

It is a triple whammy. Tolls up a buck … parking meters up 50 cents an hour … soaring gas prices — up 29 cents a gallon in New York from a year ago and up 34 cents a gallon in Bergen County, N.J. — if you commute to work there’s only one word for it: ouch!

“During a tough economy when people are struggling it’s really an increased burden,” Robert Sinclair of AAA told CBS 2’s Marcia Kramer.

Kramer asked Sinclair to compute the affect on the average commuter. Even he was stunned.

“It’s shocking when you really sit down and add up all the numbers,” Sinclair said.

* A person who commutes from the Rockaways to Midtown has been paying $10,570 a year to get to work. Come January the tab will go up $2,895 for a total of $13,465 a year.

* Commuting from Larchmont? The $9,195 you pay now will go up $2,645 to $11,840.

* And from Morristown, N.J., your $9,530 commuting bill will rise $2,340 to $11,870.

Commuters don’t like it one bit.

“They keep raping us,” Riverdale resident Anna Arsenous said. “Can I afford it? Really not. I’ll have to adjust something else.”

“It’s no good, everything going up. We would like at least something to help working people, at least. We commute every day. You know the rich people, they okay,” Long Island City resident Sergei Denko said.

“I’m not very happy about it, but it’s better to have a job than sit home, so don’t have a choice here,” added Rich Zuk of Centereach.

And it could get even more expensive to commute. There’s the possibility of an increase in the federal gas tax coming down the pike and there’s always the threat of Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s congestion pricing plan.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority had this piece of advice for put-upon drivers: take the train, save some money.

“When you factor in just the cost of gas, parking and insurance,” an MTA spokesman said, “taking the train or bus will always be the most affordable way to get around New York.”

More from Marcia Kramer
Comments

1. dwayne says:

I wish the va-genius’ at the MTA would shut up. If I could take the train or bus to my job then I would. But unless you work traditional hours and in or around midtown, public transit is a pain at best. I soo wish I could move out of the tri-state area.

2. Joey says:

When are you people in NY going to wake up and due something about the city raising all these prices. You say its better to have a job than stay home. Don`t worry,by the time they finish raising prices,you won`t be able to afford to go to work. You won`t make enough money to eat let alone go to work. WAKE UP NY WAKE UP.DUE SOMETHING AND DUE IT NOW.

3. MM says:

tHE MAYOR HAS A 500 YEAR PLAN HOW TO GET RID OF CARS IN nEW yORK sTATE

4. hbf says:

Our mayor could not get his way with congestion pricing so now he will get us from the other side. Remember Mr Mayor, you may win here but the Coney Island 8 are not leaving without a huge fight.

5. Pissed Off New Yorker says:

The costs are going to continue increasing because the costs to maintain and manage this overcrowded city are increasing exponentially each year. The reason for this? Well my opinion is that we have completely uncontrolled spending in this city. The cities workforce is comprised of so many unnecessary people and social programs that are supposed to help the poor and yet so much of that money ends up in undeserving pockets. How many times do you see a guy standing on the side of the road holding a SLOW Sign. He or she looks miserable yet they have a job that I would kill for because they get paid $25/hr and get all the city benefits. To be frankly honest it makes me sick. I’m moving out of this city if it continues. I’ll take my tax money elsewhere.

6. KPMc says:

I guess $2.25 for the subway doesn’t seem so bad. People shouldn’t be selfishly driving their cars into the city anyway. This is NY… not LA.

7. LYN says:

THATS WHY ME AND MY 24 RELATIVES MOVED OUT OF NY WHO NEEDS TO BE AMONG A CONGESTED HIGH PRICE IMMORAL LIBERAL FILTHY CITY. BORN AND RAISED IN BROOKLYN BUILT A HOUSE ON LI. GLAD WE LEFT AND WILL NEVER LOOK BACK. THE AUTHORITIES AND PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALLY MINDED.

1. KPMc says:

Yet here you are reading about NYC news and leaving incoherent, un-punctuated, all-capital rambling messages.

One question… were you and all 24 of your relatives living in the same apartment?

2. Tyler says:

I totally agree! For what we pay to live here the city really is terrible! Can’t wait to get out myself. Still doing time here, one day at a time…

3. Joey says:

To LYN We agree. My family and I moved out of NY two years ago to NJ. Property tax`s are high,but everything els is far less and affordable. And yes there`s work here if your willing to find it. Don`t buy a home just rent. You`ll be amazed the difference between NY & NJ

Comments are closed.