Tables Turned On Alleged NYC Subway Flasher

Woman Decides She's Fed Up And Not Going To Take It Anymore

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — She refused to stand there and take it.

So instead, the victim of a subway sexual assault decided to get even. She confronted a flasher right there on a crowded train.

Should you do the same thing?

It’s happened to many women when they’re riding the train — men exposing their genitals to people whom they think are vulnerable female straphangers.

“They have a saying; every monkey knows what tree to climb on…you know?” one woman said.

But apparently one sick man chose the wrong tree on this train. A rider posted a YouTube video of an unidentified woman accusing the man in black of flashing her on a “4” train in midtown.

“I’m like why is this person pressing up against me? Then I realize you have all this (expletive) space here. Then I see his penis out! That’s it!”

And her furor didn’t end there.

“Oh you’re getting (expletive) arrested! I’m not leaving your side! My plans are done for tonight. I’m escorting you to the police station, okay?” the woman says.

Emily May posted the YouTube video on her website, ihollaback.org, an organization against street harassment. May said women are calling the fiery female an inspiration.

“She is my hero,” May said. “So many women have walked away from situations like that feeling like their voice didn’t matter, and she spoke up. And her voice is a voice for an entire city of women, many of which have seen things like this in their own lives.”

“I know what I saw. Where the (expletive) is the conductor?!” the woman says on the video.

Self-defense expert Gabrielle Rubin praised the rider for taking control.

“If she was by herself and the train was pretty empty, I wouldn’t have suggested that she do that same thing,” Rubin said.

Rubin’s advice is to play it safe and move away from the flasher if you’re alone. She encourages bystanders to speak up, too.

“The more people would’ve rallied around her would have make him think twice about ever doing this again,” Rubin said.

Speaking out really made a difference in this case. Police were able to quickly arrest 51-year-old Mario Valdivia of Queens. He’s been charged with forcible touching, public lewdness and sex abuse.

More from Hazel Sanchez
Comments

1. G-man says:

Kind of dangerous to confront a flasher like that, never know what his reaction will be. She’s lucky her face did not get all bloodied up.

2. adison says:

About it truth not initial time has already heard, but all the same. Говнокомментов would be less, in general it would be very good.

1. SpeakUpNow says:

WHAT??????? FFS WHAT??????

3. advantage_of says:

A few years ago, while I was unassumingly driving down the road while on holiday in Daytona Beach, a women in the passenger seat of a truck next to us decided to take advantage of me and flash her breasts. That moment still haunts me to this day. Where can I sign up for some counseling?

1. John Denver the last dinosaur says:

people need to take in the advice of the self defense lady. A guy I know tried to stop a rape in the subway, and caught a boxcutter across the face. trying to take in a groper when you are alone, or when you know noone will help is dangerous. if you do what she did make sure there are planty of people there to record it, and/or step in like this woman had. Also, I hate NYC the subway is gross and most people there are completely fine with all sorts of human suffereing. People get taken advantage of there all the time and in ways just as grotesque as this guy on the subway, and in other places, but everyone has a “well, they just cant deal with NYC’ I dont like a city saying that claims giuliani ruined NY by cleaning up times square, then can say that something like this creates a hero.

2. monica says:

I don;t know what kind of point you are trying to make there mr./mrs. sarcastic?

1. monica says:

sorry that was meant for Mr. “advantage_of”… and to all the people that think that this situation was OK I say:
        There IS such a thing as CONTEXT. We are supposed to be animals that THINK. We know what is an appropriate situation to make sexual advances and is definitely NOT in a public place, or in a situation in which you have NOT been given a clear green light.. If you consider yourself somewhat more intelligent that a chimpanzee the you know what a clear green light is. If you don;t, then you DO need to see a counselor.YOU DO NOT TOUCH SOMEONE THAT DOESN’T”T WANT TO BE TOUCHED, or exposed yourself to them. Whether you are a woman or a man this situation at the subway IS called harrasment.

3. monica says:

4. heartandmind says:

To Just an Everyday Normal Guy: Yes, of course it happens in Canada, all the time. At age 73, I could write a tedious, depressing book about my personal experience on public transportation in Canadian cities.

5. Ro says:

Wow….I didn’t think I was such a “hero” at the time, but in 1958 – at the tender age of 21, I was assaulted at the same place, in the same manner. I turned and screamed at him – attracting much attention – and told him that when the train stopped I was “throwing him off the train”…..and then hit him over the head with my purse! Needless to say he left in a hurry – humilated and embarrassed I hope. It was an extraordinary response to a disgusting act by a (expletive) pervert at that time. Sad to say, they’re still around. You go girl.

6. Just a regular everyday normal guy. says:

Well, I can’t say that this happens too much in Canada (that we hear of, at least), but I find it fantastic that someone stood up to a sick person like that. I wouldn’t have just stood idly by if something like this happened, and I don’t ever intend to. This certainly warranted a public humiliation and arrest, AT LEAST. Props to the lady🙂

7. double standard says:

He should have just told her he was “making her safer” like the TSA does.

1. Just a regular everyday normal guy. says:

ZING

well played, good sir.

1. monica says:

right, I see you have gone there yourself, huh?

8. malcolm says:

I would like to point out that women are not victims of male flashing. I am a male and I have had it happen to me as well. Its a shame we need to allow gender to overshadow the illness.

Also, someone ought to explain the flashing trend with young female celebrities who i9n turn inspire many young ladies to go without panties and to be flagrant the same way paris hilton is. I see it all the time. Women who seem to think they are proving a point and being one of the boys by uncrossing her legs sharon stone style. That is equally as disgusting and pathetic.

1. frgdfgdfg says:

hey moron, people only see their vag because they have CAMERA ALL UP IN THEIR COOCH. idiot…

2. kay says:

Really you are comparing Paris Hilton flashing the paparazzi from her car with a man flashing a woman then rubbing up her on the subway?

You might not see it as a gender thing but it is threatening for women to have a man – who is usually much taller and stronger than them – expose himself. I’m not having a go – but you could use more empathy.

3. Lauren Estell says:

You, sir, are an idiot, Malcolm. ::smh::

4. Wookie says:

Women are victims of male flashing. Males are victims of male flashing. And so forth, and so forth. The fact that it happens to men, as well, doesn’t make her any less of a victim in this scenario.

5. Cassie says:

Are you seriously trying to compare this? Women are targeted far more often and are more vulnerable in these situations. Paris Hilton’s vag might disgust you but you’re the one looking it up online. Not getting it rubbed on you as you walk by nor are you put in a potentially dangerous situation.

6. consious at least says:

There IS such a thing as CONTEXT. We are supposed to be animals that THINK. We know what is an appropriate situation to make sexual advances and is definitely NOT in a public place, or in a situation in which you have NOT been given a clear green light.. If you consider yourself somewhat more intelligent that a chimpanzee the you know what a clear green light is. If you don;t, then you DO need to see a counselor.YOU DO NOT TOUCH SOMEONE THAT DOESN’T”T WANT TO BE TOUCHED, or exposed yourself to them. Whether you are a woman or a man this situation at the subway IS called harassment.

9. William T. says:

Unfortunately the “protected” victim can be seen on youtube. So even if CBS blanked her face. But Kudos to the woman

10. cosettecoleslaw says:

Flashers aren’t funny. I’m a habitual early morning runner who was repeatedly followed by a masterbating creep. Terrifying. I had to stop running outdoors, and the police were much less than helpful.

1. Patriot70 says:

He was in a public place, so there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. I would think strongly it will be admissible.

1. Hutch says:

She wasn’t expecting privacy, moron, she was expecting not to be harassed.

11. JOSEPH BRUNO says:

LOL

12. The Good Samaritan says:

Will this video be admissable in court or will it be a violation of the privacy act?

The Good Samaritanhas spoken.

1. kimmie says:

Good poiint, but I can’t imagine that it would be a violation since he was on a public train. He would have no possible expectation of privacy.

13. Melanie C says:

This happened to me on a London train recently. It was raining, the train windows were steamed up, and the compartment was small. I got on and was standing with people sitting on both sides of me. I saw that the man in front of me was holding an umbrella and I stood in front of him. Nobody offered me a seat. The train compartment filled with people and we all had to squash down to let people in. I felt the man was holding his umbrella handle into my bottom but I didn’t say anything. I felt him moving around behind me as the train lurched around but still thought nothing of it. I had to stand like this from New Cross into Town, about 15 minutes. When the train reached London Bridge we didn’t know which platform it was coming in on so then when we knew, everyone turned around to the door. The man looked me in the face and smiled and said, “Thankyou little girl that was very nice” and turned round to get off. I went red and felt faint. Everyone pushed me out and piled out onto the platform and when I shouted after him he was soon lost in the people who looked at me as if I was mad. I went to the Police and told them and they said to put it down to experience. The Police just don’t want to know as it’s all too difficult for them and a bit of a joke too.

1. SpeakUpNow says:

15 minutes? Oh I swear I dont even know what to say…… 15 minutes????? He probably expected a “Thankyou kind sir that was very nice”

14. richie says:

good job young lady

15. Whitney says:

There’s a world of difference between people on balconies showing some skin and a perv pressing up against others against their will. I’m a New Orleanian, and I assure you that if you did complain to a cop, they would indeed go talk to the “offending” flasher–it just rarely happens that anyone complains. In fact, cops regularly tell Mardi Gras flashers to keep it to a minimum to avoid stopping foot traffic in the French Quarter.

Touching another person with your privates without their consent is all kinds of wrong. That has nothing to do with “applying the law evenly” or gender. If you don’t see that, I can only assume you’re on Chester the Molester’s side of this story.

16. The Crow says:

matt – not too happy with a perceived double standard that you think leaves you holding the short-end of the stick – for once. But seriously, I doubt you’re really bothered by female gratuitous nakedness.

17. matt says:

Yeah I can’t wait for mardi gras I’m gonna see if I can get at least 100 women arrested for forcing me to look at their naked bodies and hurting my feelings or w/e, hopefully the law is applied evenly!

1. Nadia says:

Hey Matt,
      That’s an interesting comment you made. It really makes it clear how gendered the activity of flashing really is and the ramifications it has on the sense of safety of the personbeing flashed. When women flash another man or try to follow him by catcalling him, they will not convey the same sense of fear and risk that a man places on a woman when he flashes/follows/sexually assaults her.

Your comment is tantamount to the years of gender learning and performing that men and women in America need to unlearn in order to strike a balance at equality.

2. anonymous says:

I guess you missed the memo where the man was FORCING HIMSELF ON HER.

3. Alrys Buddig says:

Make sure to show this to your next wife or girlfriend as a character reference.

4. kay says:

Matt – due to the internet being anonymous you are now hearing what people ALWAYS think. but keep to themselves, when you say this kind of thing in public. ‘Chester the Molester’ is my favorite.

18. phunter says:

I’m glad they caught that perv.
    I find it ironic how woman get so mad over a male flashing but millions of woman flash themselves . IE Mardi gras, girls gone wild etc etc.

1. Hmph! says:

This was WAY different than a ‘girls gone wild’ thing, and you know it.

19. niki says:

I wonder if it would have been so speedy without a clear video…even if you are a bystander, you can help.

20. FELICIA says:

She’s a rarity, most woman are too timid, too afraid to do anything and confront the situation. These days most of the woman just take a photo of the degenerate, that is not enough especially when you never know what kind of reaction that person will have after having their photo taken if they saw you actually take it. She was not alone in the train so that made everything a little safer for her. You can not expect the men on the train to help so I’m happy she did what she had to. I would have loved to be there so that I could give him a kick in the area that he was so proud to display.

21. awesome says:

thank god for people like her, and the police who apprehended this awful man.

22. A Sister says:

She is a HERO! Who know how many other women and girls she saved from this disgusting pervert. I hope he goes to jail for sexual assault for a long time. Thank You Lady!

Comments are closed.