Newark Mayor, Police Union Head At Odds Over Layoffs

While Sides Bicker, Residents Fear Spike In Crime

NEWARK, N.J. (CBS 2/1010 WINS/WCBS 880) — There is concern and worry in New Jersey’s largest city.

Newark residents were wondering Tuesday if their streets were safe after 14 percent of the city’s police officers were laid off, CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman reports.

The mayor of Newark and his police director said even with 167 officers laid off, people will not notice a difference on the street.

“Newark residents should know that tonight. We will have virtually the same amount of people, on patrol. As we had last night. And the night before,” Mayor Cory Booker said.

But that answer was not giving the citizens comfort.

“The criminals are sitting back, saying, ‘Oh boy. I like this. I like this!’” resident Emma Montgomery said.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea because then violence increases because as they’re laying off police officers, they’re also laying off other people, and what do they turn to? They turn to violence,” added resident Morolake Rami Johnson.

One man said things in Newark are so bad, he did not want to give his last name.

“Taking out those cops has made Newark a difficult place to live. Even we have them, and we’re having problems,” “Thomas” told Guzman.

The Guardian Angels said they would patrol Tuesday night to take up the slack. Booker said that was news to him, but Police Director Garry McCarthy welcomed the help.

“I’m absolutely crushed,” McCarthy said, describing what it was like to hand out the pink slips.

McCarthy insisted that man power on the streets of Newark would not change and that the layoffs would not prompt a surge in crime.

“I’m really confident in our commanders. I’m really confident in the people that we have and we’re going to get the job done,” McCarthy told 1010 WINS’ Glenn Schuck.

1010 WINS Reporter Glenn Schuck with where the mayor places blame

While police officers weren’t allowed to comment, the union was asked to accept a one-time salary deferral, overtime cap or unpaid leave days, something the union saw as a violation of their contract.

Fraternal Order of Police President Derrick Hatcher said there is a contract that should protect cops from being laid off. He wants Booker to admit that when the mayor signed it, Booker knew the money would run out — and he would have to lay people off.

“The mayor should put on his big boy pants and say hey, you know it was an error made by this administration. I’m willing to take it on the chin,” Hatcher said.

But the mayor said the budget gap would have been closed if the union agreed to what amounted to $1,500 in concessions per officer. According to the mayor, the layoffs were necessary to save $9.5 million and help close an $83 million budget gap, CBS 2’s Magee Hickey reported.

“These layoffs were entirely avoidable. These layoffs could’ve been stopped at any moment by the union leadership. We could’ve cut the layoffs in half or a fraction if the union leadership was willing to do something in partnership with the city,” Booker said.

“Today is a very frustrating day for me,” Booker said. “They were unwilling to fulfill any of that gap!”

WCBS 880’s Levon Putney with comments from Mayor Booker over the police layoffs.

So the mayor said the union had a chance to save jobs, but did not negotiate fairly. The union said that the mayor signed a contract knowing that he would have no money to pay cops down the road. And so, we have a standoff.

The mayor said cameras, better community relations, and better management of resources will make up for the 167 cops laid off.

Comments

1. zone says:

House shopping in the far North suburbs of New Jersey was discouraged from buying in that state when my realtor (of all people) told me that a large portion of my property tax would not be going to local schools, but to Newark.

2. Joanne says:

What is it with city councils verywhere to cut essential workers when the money gets tight, i.e. police/fire.
    What about them cutting their expense accounts and budget items we can do without.
    they are holding the taxpayers over the barrel .

1. jamesg jr says:

Anyone thats informed knew the police and fire department we’re going
      to have job cuts – the tinfoil nation been telling people for years the
      new world order isn’t playing games – this country is going down. I remember five years ago running into infowars website Alex Jones was
      telling people the new world order has plans to collapse our economy
      and bring in teranny along with the collapse – it’s real and it’s hear now.

3. J. Dean says:

Everyone will just be obliged to arm himself/herself to protect family & friends. I do not think anyone in USA has the most remote idea of what a financial MESS OBAMA and his Stimulus nonsense has landed us in. Grow up New Jersey and especially Newark.

4. P H McGee says:

Too bad you guys can’t own guns and protect yourselves. I guess you get what you vote for.

1. R.D.ba says:

Good One, Tell it like it is!

5. Tied of Whining says:

the average policeman on this force couldn’t handle a $1500 per officer pay cut. Please!!!!! My son works for a large police dept. in California that had to accept similar cuts and no one was laid off. He still has to occassionally work overtime, but the hours are banked and will be used to adjust their retirement dates down the road. Unlike the Newark force his brothers and sisters on the force thought more of their fellow officers, than the union. My Health insurance premiums just went up $2400 for 2011 and I’m retired on a fixed income. Stop your whinning!!

1. Red says:

Tell him to get a job in the private sector unless he is to addicted to his cop power trip where he is a licensed bully.

1. meester says:

hehe Red… what a dope; an adolescent dope at that.
        I hope you live somewhere where the police choose not to serve.
        While i’m at it, I hope the people of Newark that think like you are the ones that endure the problems when people willing to serve the public decide that it isn’t worth it.
        Good luck you dope I bet you never get a clue.

2. TA says:

Hey Red,

So you must be a LEO (“Law Enforcement Officer” for those that don’t know), the way your defending them leads me to believe thus. Also obviously from the “Commonwealth” of Virginia. You know while I was in the Army stationed in D.C. your wonderful state tried to charge me, a resident of another state entirely, an f’ing parking tax after I got an illegal ticket from one of your lovely peace officers? Yeah that’s right parking tax. I fought the idiot state in court and won, because they wouldn’t except redacted orders to clear the issue up. So I understand why your so angry, accusing people of humping dogs and such. You pay too many taxes. Thank your hapless state and hapless President. Oh and that parking ticket, I paid it. I pay all my tickets, taxes and I don’t really do anything illegal and I still hate the police. I chase the local P.D. out of my neighborhood every chance I get. You know what works wonders on the Police? A camera right to the face. They start saying please, yessir, and never give you a lecture. Care to trade jabs with me? I’ll eat your lunch little boy.

TA

1. amperky says:

I think you meant Hey Marshall, but whatever.

6. Ster says:

THIS is what happens when you elect Socialists… er… Democrats.

WAKE UP VOTERS!

1. PA says:

Yes, and Newark is so smart. They want to prevent citizens from owning guns, and get rid of the police. Each citizen in Newark should just wear a bulls-eye on their back with the caption “Hey bad guys, aim here”.

2. Edson says:

Couldn’t agree more.

7. sirjaxx says:

Just Burn the City to the Ground and start all over!

8. Pete838 says:

It’s time government employees too part in the same whack that the rest have been taking. Every year my health insurance goes up and I have to contribute a higher dollar amount. My employer pays 75%, I pay the rest. I might not get a raise every year, but I will if the company did well and I am more valuable to the company. And my employer matches my retirement contribution. Somehow government workers are completely insulated from all of the insecurity the rest of us have to deal with..

9. August says:

If you wiped people’s trumped-up & make-believe criminal records and let people WORK no one would be on welfare & REAL CRIME would almost disappear; BUT YOU WON’T!

10. k1w says:

It means one of two things. (1) Things will NOT change because the Newark police department has been wasting taxpayer money employing extra people it did not need in the first place. OR (2) Things will get worse, because those laid off police officers are needed.

I guess the mayor and police chief are saying it’s (1). The residents are saying it’s (2).

11. Dave says:

Maybe they should sell the harley davidson motorcycles….. why the hell do they need $30,000 motorcycles?

Gotta love the police union, sacrifice the young and motivated to keep the wallets of the old timers nice and fat with cash.

1. Red says:

They need them to look cool.

12. Red says:

We need a cop in every house and in every bedroom. Only then will I feel safe against welfare mothers.

1. Marshall in Virginia says:

Really? How can you hate on welfare mares..uh..I mean mothers?

13. DavidArizona says:

Keep on supporting generations of welfare recipients and illegal aliens. I understand there are only 4 taxpayers living in Newark, Excuseme, I mean three taxpayers. The fourth just got murdered.

1. BILL says:

I wonder how many Environmentalists and managers were laid off before they got to the police department?

14. jack spratt says:

There can never be enough police when the citizens don’t obey God’s law (like the 10 commandments). The problem is not too few police; the problem is with us.

1. CITIZEN057 says:

Yes jack America has turned its back on Gods law.
      This Country as well the world will never be any better off than it was to day.
      If you have read the book you already know how this is going to end .

15. Red says:

When is the last time an audit of the evidence room has been performed?

1. Stillman Brown says:

Best comment here. That said, the social solidarity of the police force is suspect. I wonder if the union leaders had much seniority?

16. mike says:

AS a person from Southern Cal. reading this story it will happen to hundreds of cities across our nation. To many illegals are living off the taxpayers. To many young people learn how to live off society without ever working. Or system has to much of a socialist slant to it. Next comes chaos. A person that is able to work should unless they can prove they can’t. I f any able bodied person is sitting at home taking tax payers dollars they should be laid off. I know of or know to many people living off the system and live better than my family after 30 yrs on the job.

17. steve S says:

So, how much of the cities social services were cut? Parks? Non-essential activities?

18. Marshall in Virginia says:

Not from NJ, but have seen it all around the country……cut the cops, cut fire and rescue…scare the sheeple into going along with tax hikes. Why the h@ll won’t somebody cut the welfare and entitlement programs????? I like your Gov. and what he’s trying to do…When will he/you/we/the US, rein in the food stamps and free lunches and rent controls and 99(?!) weeks of unemployment and myriad other “feel good” programs that are endangering our great country?? I’m feeling good when I know there’s an armed cop patrolling my neighborhood and I know EMS is there to save me if my first shot doesn’t stop the bad guy.

1. Red says:

We cannot afford to pay for luxurious retirement packages that start at 50 years of age. This is bankrupting cities throughout the nation and will only get worse. And then the cops wind up on city councils and make tons more in wages and double dip retirement packages. Get a clue.

19. topgun says:

See hiow far union brothership takes you. The 167 laid off are the last hired. All the heavy money is still on the job. They didn’t want these 167 anyway. Ther newbies. These are the traffic fat cops anyway. These 167 haven’t been there l;ong enough for a second pair of shoes

20. irishalaman says:

New Jersey..Didn’t these guys just put away some law abiding Colrodan for 7 Years for having hand guns unloaded in the trunk of his car? Hard to feel very sorry for them although I am sure neither of the PO’s who arrested the Coloradan go fired. Hope the PO’s put their guns in their cars the right way when they travel.
    SEVEN YEARS!!!! HOW UNBELIEVABLE OPUTRAGEOUS. OUR FOUNDING FATHERS FOUGHT FOR OUR FREEDOM and NEW JERSEY SENDS A SMUCH TO JAIL FOR SEVEN YEARS FOR HAVING TWO HANDGUNS IN HIS TRUNK UNLOADED.
    WHAT AN OUTRAGE. New Jersey may be safer without them.

21. Grissom says:

Does anyone know how to spell?

1. tom says:

yse, eye dose.

2. DavidArizona says:

Meez two!

3. Red says:

Does anyone know how to think?

22. Chico says:

Where’s Obama? Where are Lautenberg and Menendez? Where are the Congressmen representing Newark in Washington? The federal government should be paying for this if the good people of Newark can’t afford it. Trenton spends enough of our money, but the feds? We get 61-cents back from Washington DC for every dollar we send their in taxes, dead LAST of the 50 states. New Mexico, by comparison, gets back $2.03 for every dollar they send to the Congress!

1. topgun says:

Obama?, Him and lahood are writing that highway tunnel invoice that your gonna have to pay uncle sammy. something is really F… U..You would think that your DC senators would help out. Quick, check their pockets

23. astralweeks says:

Say, isn’t Newark one of those liberal union cities in a liberal union state? Good thing you elected the governor you did, though a bit too late. Why are all the bad economic downturns so much worse in liberal union cities and states? Hmmmmm?

24. Joe says:

Newark, NJ….I leave in Union, NJ(neighboring town..15 minutes outside of Newark) and have friends and relatives who still reside in Newark..there are some parts of Newark that are OK to live,,iron bound section..but this city is still far from being safe!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why couldn’t the Police union budge?? Why could some executive state employee take a pay cut??? 167 cops? …..I feel for the people of Newark..Its not like the residents or the cops of Newark have it easy as it is…Now they have to worry even more!!!!!!!!

1. John Buro says:

The unions pulled the same inflexible stand with the teachers union, They gave them the same bad advice and your govenor did the right thing, Unions are no longer untouchable and the rank and file had better start standing up to these power hungry union thugs or the will lose everything. The taxpayers have had it…

25. FossilFuelMan says:

Oh my goodness … Newark NJ without police protection? How can this be? I guess I will have to change my vacation plans and not visit your wonderful, beautiful city where happy people skip through the clean streets, tossing flowers as they go. My, my …

26. Silvio says:

I carry a 357 Magnum and a 9mm Taurus. My permit comes from GOD. He’s smart, He allows me to protect myself and family. Newark is ignorant.

1. Red says:

Ya, but see…you are now the bad guy. The cops everyone loves so much will see that you get your just punishment. Where do you live? I need an address, please.

27. Fred in NJ says:

Newark can solve it’s own problems. Newark gets huge amounts of money from the State, wastes $29K per year on students who can read, write or graduate. It is a cesspool of corruption. NO MORE money from the State ( the suburbs) should be wasted in Newark.

28. Armed Patriot says:

Why not lay off the welfare/foods stamp/wic recipients. Shows where the pririties are

1. NHbumpkin says:

I agree….. but where do you think they get all of their votes…..?

29. Paul says:

Considering the US is steadily turning into a police state, I actually consider this a good thing. Maybe the cops will now focus on real crime instead of petty nonsense like smoking a joint and seatbelt and other silly traffic violations.

1. Paul says:

That’s called a revenue stream.

30. Bill says:

Why is it always the police and firemen that are the ones to lose their jobs? Why not the administrators or the parks workers or the ……… No, they lay them off to threaten their population by saying in essence, see, we have no money, the government has failed us, we need money to continue to provide you with safety. Really? So all of those secretary’s and cashiers are needed, but the police are not? Something is not right and you know it.

1. NHbumpkin says:

It’s easier to lead by fear than by force. Get rid of police… then you have scared people willing to do pretty much anything (allow bigger budget to feed the fat cats, loss of liberties…you name it).

1. tom says:

Don’t rely on the police, arm yourself and crime will decrease as the body count of thugs rises.

31. Bill says:

If they can lay off 167 policemen and still have the same level of service, then why did they have those policemen in the first place?

32. Freedom_Isnt_Free says:

For all the good citizens bemoaning this action, where were you when your mayor and ? Where were you when your city set their budget? Did you bother to look at the budget and the proposed spending? I imagine the answer to the previous questions are that the citizens paid no attention to what was going on! Someone has to pay the bills. Are you willing to pay more taxes to your city? I would guess not! You allowed the mess, now live with it!

33. NHbumpkin says:

Man, It was just earlier today I read an article about a gentleman in NJ who legally owned some hand guns and was arrested. Now everyone is crying how scared they are cause police offices are getting laid off. Seems like NJ citizens gave up their rights and liberties so others can care for them. Wake up. Study history. Study the Constitution and realize that we are slaves to a tyrannical government. The money is controlled by a private, for profit banking cartel (The Federal Reserve) which is bankrupting this nation. We’re being set up. Don’t be defenseless!

1. Red says:

And who will enforce the tyranny when is all comes down? Oh ya, your beloved cops.

34. Mark Matis says:

Newark would be better off without ANY pigs! Fire them all. NOT ONE OF THEM will bother to honor their oath to “…preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution….”, making them not “Law Enforcement” but instead merely Thugs with Guns. The stench is overwhelming

1. John Buro says:

they must all be liberal democrats.

35. Mike says:

Why are police officers/services the first on the cutting block? It’s always the police or firemen, what are Newark’s priorities? Are you telling me there’s no other place in their budget to cut??? Wake up Newark!!

1. USMC DAVE says:

Right on the mark. Onloy teachers, firemen and police get attention. Still, the Mayor should be looking at cutailing other expenses and busting up that union!

36. Jimbo says:

It costs the salary of one cop to cover the cost of prosecuting and incarcerating three individuals for marijuana possession for one year. Legalize the pot and tax it and keep the cops and firemen on the job !!!!

37. josh says:

Well now every Newark resident will know the cost of being a sanctuary city. for illegals.. .. Free everything… We all have to thank the Goldman Sacks previous Gov. Corizone for crippling the state with leveraged debt..

1. mauibucky says:

Josh, Doesn’t the right wing always cry for smaller government. THIS is smaller government. WHat more could you ask for?

1. John Buro says:

This is not government, besides look at all the money the city will lose on traffic violations.

2. scruffy says:

Right wingers do want smaller governmernt, but we’re not anarchists. We definitely want adequate police protection, and a functioning court system to enforce laws and contracts.

38. MIke says:

NJ needs to change its gun laws to allow law abiding citizens to easily get concealed carry permits. This would help reduce crime. Look at the statistics. The areas with the strictest gun laws have the most crime.

39. Coyflyte says:

Hey New Jersey! Grow a pair, demand full 2nd Amendment rights, and DEFEND YOURSELF!!!

40. Joe Doakes says:

You can’t eve carry a gun to defend yourself in New Jersey. At least in New York and Connecticut this is still an option.

1. John Buro says:

New Jersey politians are afraid that the people will right all the wrongs the liberal politicans have heaped on them.

41. Gunny G Alz says:

KEEP THAT WELFARE FLOWING TO THE ILLEGALS! HAHAHAHAHA

1. Greg says:

Yep. They always start with the COPS or Fire department vice cutting social programs.

42. Gunny G Alz says:

I LOVE seeing LIBERAL cities get the shaft due to their own stupidity! Keep on taxing and spending! How’s that working for ya? Didn’t Biden say you can spend your way OUT of debt? HAHAHAHAHA!

43. sickoffools says:

Of course it’s common sense to downsize the Police but not cut spending for Illegals; sure it’s best to stop Police in their tracks yet allow more mosques to be built. Makes sense to de-arm citizens but reward criminals with more lawyers. The lunatics in the asylum are on the run and civil war is imminent.

1. John Buro says:

Yea, Next all the people in Bevely Hills California will be smashing windows on Rodeo dr and looting.

44. steve 102 says:

you will be ok with the state police ,county police .mta police how many cops do you need oh how about the papd from the airport ,newark will be ok,

45. Robert Senn says:

mayor booker has a problem when a fellow employee things more for himself than his fellow employee thats bad what booker can do is charge newark airport more for shared services charge that baking co on south street taxes they dont pay sell some of there water shed land to the state ore town

46. pat says:

I guess Newark will still be Newark. 9 million dollars is not a large amount of money to save in a city that wastes 10 times that in failed social expirements, out of control governmental mismanagement and corruption. Shame this is a the cost of public safety. By the way does Newark really need Garry Mccarthy as Director of the Newark PD? Or his patronage executive staff? How much does that cost’s. But I have to say this for garry at least he hasn’t been arrested in a while.

47. RELOCATING HOMEOWNER says:

THIS IS A SCARY SITUATION…aS A NEW HOMEOWNER TO NEWARK I’M SPEAKING WITH MY BANK RIGHT NOW FOR A SHORT SALE. THIS TOWN IS RIDDLED WITH CRIME AND DRUGS. MAJORITY OF THE ‘PEOPLE’ ARE NOT THE AVERAGE MIDDLE CLASS WORKING. CERTAIN BLOCKS I MAY DRIVE THROUGH IS FRIGHTENING. WITH THE POLICE PRESENCE IT MAY HELP..BUT THE DEALERS/USERS KNOW THEIR WAY AROUND THEM. IT’S LIKE LIVING IN A WAR TOWN, YOU CAN’T GO ANYWAY FOR THE OVERWHELMING SOUNDS OF POLICE/AMBULANCE SIRENS. THE WANT TO CUT BACK AND CLOSE THE DEFICIT??? GET THOSE LAZY..GOOD-FOR NOTHING FAMILY FIRST RECEIPIENTS OFF THE BUDGET. PUSH THEM TO WORK FOR THEIR FREEE MEDICAL AND FREEE FOOD STAMPS. NINE TIMES OUT OF TEN THEY ARE THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TOO MUCH AND TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS. NEWARK IS WHAT NEW YORK WAS IN THE 70’s. SOMEONE HAS TO CHANGE THIS CYCLE. AFTER 25YRS IN OFFICE SHARPE DIDN’T DO IT, HE PADDED HIS OWN POCKETS. AND BOOKER SURE CAN”T. THESE PEOPLE ARE TAKING FROM HARD-WORKING TAXPAYERS AND NOT GIVING BACK. IT IS AND ALWAYS BE DISGUSTING. JUST IMAGINE WHAT THIS CITY WILL BE LIKE WITHOUT THE ACTIVE PRESENCE OF POLICE….DRUGS MORE RAMPANT..MORE DEATHS ON THE STREET….PROSTITUTION….YOU NAME IT..THIS IS SCARY.

1. John Buro says:

I grew up in Newark in the 50s when it still was a great city.
      This is what the liberal socialist philosphy has caused in just about every metropolitan area in the nation.
      The have dumbed down a whole generation into believing they are owed something and donot have to earn respect or work hard for good grades and a better life.
      And I can’t even blame them,. However I can blame the lying liberal thugs that have caused this mess

2. sickoffools says:

Gone are the days when Norman Rockwell painted portraits of America. Those were the days under conservatism, now it’s liberalism and look at the state of the Nation. Absolute sqwalor. Press #2 for Spanish when applying at the bank on a short sale, show your medican marijuana card and tell them your on welfare and need to relocate. They’ll bail you out in a second; but announce that your a hard working decent citizen who wants out of the looney bin and they’ll do all they can to prevent you leaving with anything. I’ve said it before for years now….the only way out is a physical battle as the America I one knew is a God forsaken cesspool catered to welfare and third world living conditions. As we said in California….Will the last American please grab the Amercian flag.

3. Paul says:

What should we do with the poor? Jail them or kill them? You obviously don’t want to help them as Jesus instructed. Do you have idea how demeaning it is to go on food stamps? I hope you don’t have to find out. Getting food stamps delivered to your ivory tower would be tough, anyway.

1. Steve M says:

There’s poor and there’s POOR. I don’t think anyone would contest giving someone down on their luck a hand up. However, we’ve as a society made it more profitable for some to live off of the government tit than to find a way to get themselves to a better place.
        That’s what we who pay taxes object to.

48. sefer kir says:

Mr Clark when you ass gets mugged

49. Timothy P Clark says:

Sometimes there are just too many police. In Wanaque, NJ, the police are becoming a public nuisance, twisting state law to suit their own agenda. The best thing in a case like that is to get rid of the police. Newark may be a different story, but if the laws protect racial minorities to the extent the police are handcuffed, then the police are useless and you might as well let them go and save money at least.

50. Steve says:

Terrible news, and very sad. Newark is one of the VERY LAST places that should be shedding police officers!

1. John Buro says:

I think if you lay off more police the crime rate will drop.

Comments are closed.