Casey’s Call: Handicapping The Heisman
By Casey Keefe
» More Columns
1. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn: (2,254 pass yards – 24 TD’s – 6 INT’s – 1,336 rush yards – 18 TD’s) – Newton may very well have clinched the Heisman with his heroic second half performance in Auburn’s come from behind, season saving win over rival Alabama. He still has the SEC championship game to play, but as long as too many voters don’t hold a bias against Newton, he’ll be your Heisman winner.
2. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State: (3,269 pass yards – 30 TD’s – 5 INT’s) – The Broncos saw their national title hopes flushed down the drain thanks to kicker Kyle Brotzman – and only Kyle Brotzman. Moore did everything he could possibly do to win that game for Boise State. He has been phenomenal all year long, but I’m afraid the Heisman has become a one-horse race.
3. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon: (1,548 rush yards – 20 total TD’s) – James put together another solid effort in Oregon’s 48-29 victory over Arizona. The Wildcats defense had shown the ability to stuff the run, but they were no match for James who pounded them to the tune of 126 yards and 2 touchdowns.
4. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford: (3,051 pass yards – 28 TD’s – 7 INT’s – 438 rush yards – 3 TD’s) – Luck has been flying under the radar, if that’s even possible. He has been nearly flawless all year long and his performance last Saturday against Oregon State was another one for the highlight reel.
5. Jordan Todman, RB, Connecticut: (1,481 rush yards – 14 touchdowns) – The UConn Huskies are on the verge of winning the Big East conference and securing a spot in a BCS game. The biggest reason for the Huskies success? – Jordan Todman. He’s been an absolute workhorse for Randy Edsall’s club. Without him, UConn would be a 4 win team.
Outside Looking In…
- Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
- Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
- Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
- Darron Thomas, QB, Oregon
- Justin Blackmon, WR, Oregon State
Check back on Friday for my preview of all the best games of the weekend.
Questions? Comments? Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, be sure to follow me on Twitter: @CaseyKeefeWFAN
- Casey’s Call: College Football Recap – Crimson Collapse (newyork.cbslocal.com)