Queensboro Bridge May Get Name Change

NEW YORK (CBS 2 / WCBS 880/ 1010 WINS) — You might not be taking the Queensboro Bridge to work anymore.

WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs with reaction from Ed Koch

WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs with Joe Public’s reaction

Former New York City Mayor Ed Koch is seen at Gracie Mansion - New York, NY - Jun 17, 2010 - Photo: Donald Bowers/Getty Images for Historic House Trust of New York City

The Bloomberg Administration wants to rename the 101-year-old span over the East River after former Mayor Ed Koch.

“This is a workhorse bridge and it’s rugged,” Koch told 1010 WINS. “It’s like me — I’m rugged and I’m a workhorse so I’m delighted.”

Koch said he was “flabbergasted” and “delighted” when he heard the bridge, which runs from 59th Street in Manhattan to Long Island City, Queens, may be named after him.

The name change requires approval by the City Council and Speaker Christine Quinn told the New York Times that she supports it.

“The Queensboro Bridge is in the heart of my district,” Koch said. “I identify with the bridge.”

The Brooklyn Battery Tunnel will also get a new name. State lawmakers voted Tuesday to rename it after former Governor Hugh Carey.

“Hugh Carey saved the city and the state from default and he’s the greatest governor, in my judgment, of the modern era ,” Koch said.

The city plans to raise money privately to pay for road signs with the new names. The renaming of the Triborough Bridge, which became the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge, cost the city and state nearly $4 million for new signs.

More from Mike Xirinachs
Comments

1. sk says:

Ok, how about we rename Brooklyn Bridge the Rudy Giuliani Bridge, after a son of Brooklyn who did more for this city than Ed Koch in his 3 terms?

2. vincent says:

Josh is 100% correct. It is foolishness.
    Everyone still says the Triborough Bridge – no one calls it the RFK Bridge.
    Spend the money on something useful to the people.

1. KV says:

I agree with vincent and Josh . . . I will always call it the Triboro Bridge and the Queensboro Bridge . . . stop wasting money that we clearly do not have and stop coming to us (the taxpayers for it)!!!

3. Murray Hill says:

Mr Koch states, “The Queensboro Bridge is in the heart of my district,” Koch said. ”I identify with the bridge.”. Spoken like typical Manhattan snob; it is also in the heart of my beloved Queens. I am surprised that he doesn’t say, “Queensboro Bridge? Oh you meam the 59th Street Bridge”.

4. Philip says:

I uh, am uh, not sure uh, that this is uh a uh good idea.

5. Fred says:

Corporate sponsorship is the way to go “The Walmart Bridge”.

6. Steve says:

$4 million in street signs! Does anyone wonder what’s wrong with the picture?

7. Josh says:

There are great ways to honor those who have served the city and state. Renaming bridges and tunnels just isn’t one of them. This is a complete waste of money, regardless of who is footing the bill. If we’re going to name departments after those who have served, then I hope we name a garbage dump in honor of the current Mayor.

8. Jimmy says:

He deserves the honor. He revitalized the city after its years of decline.

Comments are closed.