New Yorkers Take Off Their Pants In The Subway

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Participants were out and about in the subway on Sunday afternoon causing a scene dressed in not much more than their underwear.

The 10th Annual No Pants Subway Ride took placed from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. The group that organized the event — Improv Everywhere — said about 10,000 people took part in New York City.

1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reports from Union Square

There were several meeting points across NYC, including Hoyt Playground, Foley Square, Flushing Meadows Park and Bushwick Park. All routes eventually converged on Union Square.

no pants subway schrager1 New Yorkers Take Off Their Pants In The Subway

Photo/Justin Schrager, 1010 WINS

Participants were divided up into groups and had a team leader. Those involved were also instructed not to take photos or talk to one another on subway trains.

“”This is funny cause one unusual thing is going on — there is no pants,” one of the organizers, Jesse Good, said.

“We don’t need to compound that and put a joke on a joke.  We don’t need to do stretching in people’s faces, we don’t need to do pole dances,” he said to the amusement of participants.

Organizers advised the pants-less riders to say they “forgot to wear pants” or that their pants were “getting uncomfortable” if confronted about why they had removed their pants by fellow straphangers.

Similar events took place in 24 countries and at 50 regional subways, including Barcelona, Mexico City, London and Amsterdam.

Comments

1. BILL C says:

IT APPEARES TOBE FUN NOT ONLY FOR THE PARTICIPANT BUT ALSO THE COMPLAINING NUTS , WHAT WOULD THEY FIND ELSWHERE? BUT IT GENERATED MONEY FOR THE SUBWAYS, THE MANY VENDORS AND BUSINESSES, BUYONG TENS OF THOUSANDS OF NEW UNDERWARE, AND THE CRITICS AND TEN TIMES AS MANY SPECTATORS ALSO HAD TO BY FOOD, HOT DRINKS AND SUBWAY TICKETS. GOOD FOR THE ECONOMY THINK POSITIVE ENJOY… COMLAINING IF NOT ELSE…..

2. Pubert Uggams says:

Looking forward to Crotchless Week!

3. Ann says:

It would be wonderful to to know if this publlic exposure was for a good cause or charity of some sort. Then “yea” let’s do it every year and help out those in need. If not, then it’s just self indullgent and pointless.

1. Eszter H says:

Well, their mission is to “cause scenes” and make everyone smile and as someone that participated, I can guarantee you that we made tons of people smile. There was even a woman in a wheelchair that participated that we all hugged at the end for being such a trooper. It’s not pointless, we made thousands of New Yorkers smile and cheer up on a cold January day. Don’t say it’s indulgent and pointless until you tried it.

4. Julia says:

why they dont do this in summer? it is very cold in new york even in clothes…
    That’s totally makes it not fun at all

1. Eszter H says:

I did it and while I won’t deny it was cold, it was not unbearable. We all laughed so much, I actually stayed pantless for a good 40 minutes after the whole event in Union Square.

5. joe says:

Lemmings!

6. Robert Distefano says:

Let’s bring back modesty!

7. DanTe says:

They are what’s called: Stupid Fhuks.

Stupid
    and good only for a Fhuk – barely.

8. aldous huxley says:

Aw come on – they’re just having fun & blowing off steam in a harmless way. Just like those folk who run into the ocean in the middle of winter. Seems a little silly, but they seem to enjoy it.

9. NYC says:

All I see is cellulite!!

1. Guy says:

I think they should have done us all a favor and used a Thigh Master for at least 6 months prior to doing this….LOL

1. Eszter H says:

Oh, how funny. I think it’s great. This has been going on for 10 years and finally we are seeing all ages, all colors, both male and female and ALL SHAPES AND SIZES. I’m glad some women had the courage to walk around like that knowing there will be an insensitive guy to point out the cellulite.

10. Mart says:

How sad. So many people with self esteem issues crying out for attention..

1. Lisa says:

It has nothing to do with self esteem or attention, it has to do with having a great time and making a bit of a splash! Idiot.

1. Big Jim says:

That splash was that lard ass in panties that just sat down next to me on the train!….

2. Eszter H says:

I did not do it for attention for example – can’t speak for everyone, but I didn’t do it for that. I was very shy and even though it’s been around for 10 years, this was my first time. I was always nervous and worried about the cops. Knowing they haven’t arrested anyone in years – not for being pantless at least – I decided to do it to make others smile and so I can have fun as well. I mean, do you have the same reaction when people wear their bikinis on the beach? Location matters that much to you?
      The point of this is to cause a scene of silliness and make everyone smile – even those who did not participate and I can tell you that we did. We made so many people smile and there was even a woman in a wheelchair with MS who participated. We all had fun and you with your haughty psychoanalysis tell us that it was a cry for attention? How about you try it and then tell us if it was a cry for attention, huh?

11. pogo the clown says:

“Solomon Grundy want pants too!”

12. stallingbabe says:

and two more small minded online comments!

1. Lisa says:

Indeed.

13. NYC1998 says:

A fundamental truth – the people who take their clothes off in public are exactly the ones you don’t want to take their clothes off in public.

1. Madge says:

I agree…It’s like going to a nude beach and expecting to see some beautiful bodies…lets leave the nudity for real models, please

1. Lisa says:

Well I think it takes a lot of confidence to walk around in public with little or no clothes. And for you to say to leave it to the “real models” is just absurd. One doesn’t have to be “perfect” to be beautiful, and really, there is no perfect since everyone is different. I’d love to see you go out without clothes.

2. Eszter H says:

I was actually glad to see all shapes and sizes because we need less idiots who think there is one size to conform to and more people who are comfortable and confident enough to walk around in their panties even though there will be some moron pointing out the cellulite.

14. seneca651 says:

Just one more Gay Parade!!

1. Lisa says:

Not really.

2. Eszter H says:

Yeah, especially since NOT everyone was gay! Seneca, get your head out of your butt and take a look around sometimes. It was a fun event, if you got nothing nice to say about, say nothing. All I can say is try it next year and if it really is THAT bad and “gay” then please, by all means, keep bashing it like you bash the gays.

Comments are closed.