Paterson Girl Fatally Struck By NJ Transit Train

PATERSON, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey Transit says a teenager fatally struck by a train in Paterson was walking on the tracks moments before the accident happened.

NJ Transit Spokesman Dan Stessel tells The Record that Saraly Orengo of Paterson and a Clifton girl, both 14, were walking along an elevated section of track in Paterson when they heard the train around 3:30 p.m. Friday.

They stepped to the side to let it pass, but didn’t give it enough clearance. The Clifton girl, who was not injured, then fled the scene but was later found at her home by NJ Transit police detectives.

Stessel said the section of track where the incident occurred isn’t near a station or a crossing. He said the engineer applied the emergency brake and sounded the train’s horn, but couldn’t stop in time.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Natasha says:

Sara, Youre my cuzzin i8 love you i wish i can turn back the hands of time. I still cant believe your gone. Te AmoBUmba always and forever Te amo😦 Rest In Peace Bumba
    4.10.96.1.14.11

2. Vanessaa:* says:

mayy saraly rest in peaceee. she wass an amazinqq yunqq ladyy. shee wass someonee whoo i cann tell anythinqq too . shee wass someone who didnt want beef widd anybody. she qot alonq wid everyonee. everybody lovedd her. but she was somebody who respected but didnt let anyon e or anythinq qet in her way. your incrediably beautiful. she will forever be missedd.
    rest in peaceee..❤

-other half bumba wife.
    *Sept.05,2009*
    forever will you live, even after your death.

3. Valerie says:

Her mother and father were working at the time of her accident, and she was walking a short cut to go pick up her little sister from school. Her common sense, well Maria my daughter had a lot of common sense, she was a very responsible smart, wonderful and good young lady! Where is your common sense? Did you even gain any thru out your life? From the looks of it and judging by what you write you have none! You are an empty miserable woman, but it does not bother me it just astonishes me that people like you exist. As into a lawsuit, that is not going to bring my daughter back. I hope you don’t have any children Maria because God will punish you for being so cold towards peoples feelings, I find you extremely ignorant, beyond cold, ridiculous, hallow and empty. Have some respect for human beings and their grief, but what can we expect from someone like you! Maybe you should start by having respect for yourself and than take it form there. Get your head out of your ass, and if you can not offer the correct words than your best bet is keeping your mouth shut. To everyone else thank you for the words and prayers, God hears & sees all. God Bless Rest in peace baby, mommy loves you and misses you…

4. jeffery says:

I FEEL SO BAD RIP NOBODY WILL FORGET YOU!! LOST BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. < \ 3

5. jeannette says:

R.I.P saraly… My heart goes out to the family as well as friends.. She was not only a good kid but a good student….

1. Coach Wilson says:

I’m sorry to here you are gone Saraly. May you rest in peace. Caoch Wilson, Lady Ghost

6. mr and misses ortiz says:

my deepest conduliosins to the family may she rest in piece and may you and you family stay strong with god watching over you

7. Coach Pat says:

Sara was a good kid. She will be missed by all that knew her.
    My condolences to the family. May she rest in peace

8. crank says:

ifi noe who yuh were yuh would be the first i push in front of a train make that ur death wish wat bout that watch yur mouth yuh act like wen yuh were a kid you didnt do things you shouldnt wat if it were yur kid and sumone sed that as$hole

9. ANGELIKA says:

MARIA SHUT THE HELL UP! YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT THIS GIRL WAS GOING THROUGH AT THE MOMENT AND YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT HER FAMILY IS GOING THROUGH NOW. ALL YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT IS THE LAWSUIT. THEY PROBABLY NOT EVEN THINKING ABOUT THAT. I BET IF IT WAS ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS YOU WOULD’VE SUED ALSO. YOU HAVE NO HEART AND YOU DON’T EVEN HAVE BUSINESS LEAVING A COMMENT IF YOU DON’T EVEN SAY R.I.P TO SARALY AND HOPE FOR THE BEST FOR HER FAMILY AFTER THIS ACCIDENT. R.I.P SARALY. YOU ARE IN MANY PEOPLE HEARTS AND THOUGHTS AND I BET YOUR IN A BETTER PLACE RIGHT NOW!

10. DanTe says:

Now watch Maria Toro be vindicated when the slimes file a lawsuit. It’s all the train’s fault, right?

11. Lydia says:

This little girl was a student at my son’s school.
    May she rest in peace forever – may her family find the strength to celebrate her life.

To her family – please excuse the ignorance of some people.
    I’m sure they don’t have children & will never understand.

– My3SonsConstruction

12. Johana Maldonado says:

MARIA what kind of monster are you ? why in a time like this your saying these nonsense you should have a little respect for this family right know and you should be thinking it could be one of your own ..but i guess your to busy being a monster than a human and i think you don’t have no family i feel so sorry for you Maria right now hope u get better..I don’t know this little girl but i know her aunt and not because i know her aunt i feel really sorry for there lost. because i also have children her age and god forbid but teenagers do random things and i know you were a teen before so you know what i mean anyways enough with you ..MY CONDOLENCES TO ALL THE FAMILY AND GOOD FRIENDS..MAY GOD BE WITH YOU ..R.I.P. SARA

13. The Whole Football Team says:

We miss you saraly.

You were Fun.

1. The Whole BasketballTeam says:

ditto

14. yana cruz says:

First & formost r.i.p to sara…i personally know her family & know that she was a good girl that was just at the wrong place…i live right next to the train tracks & i myself cross all the time, never again!! its a tragedy that a young girl had to die in such a manner & i pray for her family, she will be missed deeply. another thing, how r they gonna sue transit if they girls were on traintracks? they belong there….r.i.p.sara..

15. javier says:

saraly you will be missed by your family and friends iif we all had one more wish it would be to bring you back….R.I.P

16. Yuriii says:

ill never forqett yhou, one of ma bestiess in 6thh qrade, R.I.P Saraa <333

17. Jose says:

Maria, let me not tear you a new A%@ Hole for being so stupid! Before I do anything, I hope this family can find some peace in her memories. A family who looses a child goes through so much and I will keep them in my thoughts. Now getting to the real problem, I live in the area and I must say I see children walking these tracks all the time. It is so scary too see and I am so surprised that NJ Transit, The NJ Transit Police, The NJ State Police and the local police departments do not enforce some type of law or rule which I am sure exists to protect people from the dangers. Some may say why was the girl on the tracks to begin with, well with the way society is today why not. In their minds it is okay, since everyone else is doing this. I beg the parents to please speak to their children. We need to once become a country of loving parents who are not afraid of talking to our children.

Eric thank you for your kind words and for putting Toro and Victor in their place. I hope no harm ever comes to your children, because you would hurt more than you can ever apparently understand.

Good luck to all and God Speed!

18. Tommy Corelli says:

TRAINS SHOULD BANNED OR AT LEAST LICENSED TO PREVENT THIS.

19. unknown says:

i am a personal friend of the family, first of may saraly rest in peace.her mother is a full time employee,very responsible,single mother,when this happened she was at work,unfortunately us parents cannot be with our children 24/7.we assume that our kids are going to keep themselves away from dangerous situations like the one these girls put their selves in. but you know what they are just teenagers ,all teenager always do stuff that are dangerous,unfortunately some of them end up in tragic situations as sara did.and whether they sue or not, no money in this world will ever bring her back.and a personal opinion i believe that nj transit should not be sued.there was nothing wrong with the train,that is not a place for pedestrians,now all family and friends and all should do is send their condolences and keep the family in prayer..rip sara

1. Jose says:

Dearest Personal Friend of Saraly, I live in the community and if there is anyway I can offer any help. Please reach out to me here, I know first hand what it is to loose someone close when my sister lost her son who drowned in their backyard swimming pool. I understand the pain. Please keep me posted.

20. Larry Schwarz says:

This is a tragedy.Condolonces to the family over this tragic loss.Lets educate our children that railroad tracks are not playgrounds and prevent this from happening again.

21. Kathy says:

A human being died and I can’t believe that we are discussing grammar, law suits or assuming who’s fault it is. We all need to send our strength and compassion to the family and please now do not make this a hispanic language issue. Oh and excuse my spelling…before someone points my errors and do not pay attention to the message. Think about if this tragedy would’ve happened in our neighborhood, to a family member or in our house. A little assignment, look for translation> Quien este libre de pecado, que tire la primera piedra. Jesus de Nazareth.

22. Kim says:

My condolences to the family………………RIP

23. Eric says:

Ms Toro, please avail yourself to that marvelous quality we call compassion. While you’re processing this emotion, invest in a basic grammar primer. Your lack of education is evidenced by your cold and inane assertions and abysmal writing. To help you along I’ll add the following: nouns should be pluralized, as required, and verbs have a strict set of tenses that convey proper intent…. Got it…? Did you not listen to the President Thursday…? Learn to not utilize the anonymity of the Internet to express feelings you wouldn’t dare say to another’s face. Doing so is called cowardice. In answer to your question, her parents were either at home preparing dinner or at work…. Where, exactly, do you think they were…? We teach our children to fly – and then allow them to do so.

24. victor says:

The girls were clearly at fault,,,,teenagers don`t understand much anymore, but sometimes the end results can be deadly….Probably the family of the girl that died will sue and say the train was in their way..and shouldn`t have been on the track anyway….

1. Eric says:

Your comments are cold, cynical, and inappropriate. Where’s the compassion, dude. Were you a logical 14 year old, because something has happened if you were…. Check out my comments to Ms Toro; there’s a message within for you too…. Shame on you.

25. Angelo says:

My condolences. A tragedy, not a time to lay blame but a time for prayer.

26. Charlotte says:

Maria, the girl is 14 hanging out with a girlfriend. You can’t constantly monitor your kids when they’re out on a Friday afternoon. Sometimes, you just have to trust that your 14-year-old has enough sense to not walk along an active train track.

27. Maria Toro says:

I hope the family do not file a law suit, it was the girl responsiblity and lack of common sense. Where are the family of these teenages.?

1. Eric says:

My condolences to the family this child leaves behind. May they find the strength to recover as many of the pieces of their shattered hearts as they can. I will hold them in prayer.

2. Frank says:

Hey Maria, before you assume that anyone is going to file suit,which is probably the last thing on the mind of this grieving family. Why don’t you USE COMMON SENSE!!!! You have the audacity to write such a comment. Perhaps a course in spelling and grammar usage also.This poor family just lost a child you moron! This is a tragedy that didn’t have to happen. I have this family in my thoughts. May she R.I.P.

Comments are closed.