NEW YORK (CBS New York) – Snow could slow the commute across the Tri-State area Friday morning.
A winter weather advisory was issued Thursday night through 8 a.m. Friday for northeastern New Jersey, the Lower Hudson Valley and New York City.
Forecasters predicted snow to begin around midnight, with the heaviest flakes falling overnight into early Friday morning. Light to moderate snow will continue to fall through the early morning commute. The CBSNewYork.com team of meteorologists said the entire area could see anywhere from 2 to 6 inches by the time the system clears out.
New York City’s Office of Emergency Management issued a Hazardous Travel Advisory due to a forecasted snow storm that will cause dangerous travel conditions for the Friday morning rush hour. The National Weather service warns overnight snowfall rates could reach 1 inch per hour.
A winter weather advisory means periods of snow, sleet or freezing rain will make travel difficult. Slippery roads and limited visibility are possible.
The snow will be followed by bitter cold temperatures Friday into Saturday.
OEM has the following advice for motorists and pedestrians:
• If you must drive a vehicle, monitor weather and traffic reports for the latest road conditions.
• Use major streets or highways for travel whenever possible as these roadways will be cleared first.
• Drive slowly. Vehicles, including those with 4-wheel drive, take longer to stop on snow and ice than on dry pavement.
• Keep the name and phone number of at least one local towing service in your car in case you break down or become stuck in the snow.
• If you get stuck on the road stay with your car and contact a towing company.
• Exercise caution and avoid slippery surfaces.
• Wear layers including a hat, gloves and scarf to stay protected from the cold. And, keep clothes and shoes dry.
• Have heightened awareness of cars, particularly when approaching or crossing intersections.
Winter Weather Advisory in NJ – Coastal Ocean , Eastern Bergen , Eastern Essex , Eastern Monmouth , Eastern Passaic , Eastern Union , Hudson , Hunterdon , Mercer , Middlesex , Morris , Northwestern Burlington , Ocean , Somerset , Sussex , Westerm Essex , Western Bergen , Western Monmouth , Western Passaic , Western Union
Winter Weather Advisory – Bronx , Eastern Dutchess , Eastern Ulster , Kings (Brooklyn) , New York (Manhattan) , Northeast Suffolk , Northern Nassau , Northern Queens , Northern Westchester , Northwest Suffolk , Orange , Putnam , Richmond (Staten Is.) , Rockland , Southeast Suffolk , Southern Nassau , Southern Queens , Southern Westchester , Southwest Suffolk , Western Dutchess , Western Ulster