Judge Uninterested In Tossing Gitmo Detainee’s Conviction
NEW YORK (AP) - A Manhattan judge has shown little interest in throwing out the conviction of the first Guantanamo detainee to be tried in a civilian court.
Federal Judge Lewis Kaplan repeatedly told a lawyer for Ahmed Ghailani that he didn’t understand his arguments at a hearing Thursday.
The defense says the jury last year was inconsistent when it convicted Ghailani of conspiracy to destroy government buildings but acquitted him of 280 other counts.
The 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa killed 224 people, including 12 Americans.
Ghailani bought explosives and a truck used to transport a bomb. He said he didn’t know they would be used in the attacks.
Kaplan is scheduled to sentence Ghailani next week. He faces a potential life sentence.|
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)