Long Island Woman Fatally Struck By Snow Plow Pickup

CENTER MORICHES, N.Y. (AP) — Police on Long Island said a 64-year-old woman was struck and killed by a pickup truck that was plowing a snow-covered parking lot.

It happened just after 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in the  lot of a bus rental company in Center Moriches.

Police said Doris Metz, of Mastic Beach, was walking across the lot when the truck, which had a a snow plow attached to the front, backed into her. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said it was freezing rain at the time and the driver apparently did not see the woman.

The vehicle was impounded for a safety check and the investigation is continuing.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Eloy Sitko says:

Thanks for providing such information. nifwjre

2. Brent says:

The woman in the story is my great aunt. I want to thank you for all the condolances. My family and I apriciate them.

3. Jo says:

I think that people forget why they call things accidents. Some times thing happen for a reason..My heart goes out for the family of the loved one they lost and the driver of the truck. It’s amazing how people just judge others and not knowing the facts.

4. Nick says:

Typical “Guilty Until Proven Innocent” T ARD “A.R.Dar”.

I always wondered what kind of idiots would walking behind thousands of pounds of moving metal – truck. I know the Asinine Rabit Dars are one type. Never know if this lady is one too.

My sympathy is with the Truth. Whatever it is. Stupid Dars.

1. charity says:

first off- be respectfull when talking about one’s family-maybe one day it could be your family member! thats my aunt your talking about- did it EVER occur to you that maybe it was the drivers fault?! accidents DO happen- why dont you stick to what you know-which obviously isnt much-

2. susan says:

Hope you never get a call saying that your love one die. this is my Aunt. Get you facts straight before you open your mouth. The truck was backing up fast. she had her safety vest and hat on that is required by the Bus company, so anyone could see them anywhere in the yard if they were looking. I hope you never get that call saying someone hit your love one.

3. Dana says:

What a horrible commnet you have made.

5. A.R.Dar says:

Either the driver of truck was drunken or standard lights and alrams not in place or not functioning.Must be investigated and punshed if proven guilty to avoid future such incidents. My sympthies for the victom and its relations.

6. RALPH SMITH, MISSISSAUGA says:

RALPH SMITH SAY,S , I HAVE DRIVEN A TRANSPORT FOR 41 YRS . AND YOU HAVE TO KNOW ALL THAT IS GOING ON YOU AT ALL TIMES. UNLESS STOPPED. I DO NOTICE, THAT ALL TRUCKS USED FOR PLOWING MUST BE EQUIPED WITH AT LEAST ONE FLASHING AMBER , AND HERE IN ONTARIO CANADA , MUST BE BLUE. AND ALSO ALL TRUCKS MUST HAVE A REVERSE BACK-UP WARNING DEVICE, WHILE BACKING UP. EVEN IF IT HAD A FLASHING LIGHT ON THE ROOF WORKING, IT SURE WOULD NOT BE SEEN.AND NO LIGHTS ON. A REAL DANGER. , MY COLDONCES TO THIS LADY,S FAMILY.

7. SAN MAN FROM QUEENS says:

HEY IT’S SNOWING…LET’S BLAME NYC DEPT OF SANITATION…. WHAT HAPPENED TO GOLBAL WARMING?????

1. Jen on LI says:

You are a moron…they still should have plowed during the blizzard. Nobody blamed them for the snow.

8. JM says:

I HAVE TO SAY HERE IN NEW JERSEY WE HAVE HEARD ABOUT AT LEAST 4 TO 5 OF THESE ACCIDENTS WITH EITHER PRIVATE OR THE CITY TRUCKS EITHER HITTING PEOPLE OR VEHICLES,C’MON YOU GUYS ,WAKE UP ALREADY. yOU KNOW YOU HAVE BLIND SPOTS BE X-TRA CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

9. roger says:

that was a whole lot of bull because he problly wasn’t even looking

1. Jen on LI says:

Actually I work there and it was an accident.

10. I know all says:

This is what happens when people with pick up trucks don’t have a rear camera for backing up.Pick ups have a really huge blind spot behind them.

11. GovtLaborUnionNotBlaakMafia says:

(LI = “stretched-out ghetto”)

12. Kathleen says:

This is very sad, RIP Doris Metz.

Im sure the driver feels horrible, I hope he is alright as well.

13. Hot Blooded says:

Is CBSNEWS trying to get the unknowing public against the Dept of Sanitation again by showing a DSNY truck that was in no way connected with the tragic event 60 miles away from NYC

14. norma says:

when was the picture taken theres no way it is from this winter the poor suckers are have inga hard time trying to get out of the snow that they already have

1. The DEqualizer says:

Seriously? this is a NYC sanitation truck in the image , she was hit by a private snow removal company’s pick up truck in Long Island , not part of NYC… The quality of reporting and image referencing perpertratedv by the media these days is just very questionable…

1. hamy says:

I’ll have to agree, this is a picture of NY Sanitation. They did not hit the women, this is really irresponsible reporting,

Comments are closed.