NJ TRANSIT TRAIN CRASH: Latest | Transit Changes | Video | Photos | NJ TRANSIT | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

NYC To Resume Garbage & Recycling Collection Monday

NEW YORK (AP/CBSNewYork) — Along with clearing mountains of snow, sanitation workers are also getting ready to start collecting garbage again, and not a moment too soon.

“Nasty – it just looks gross,” Midtown resident Jill Shomer told CBS 2’s Dave Carlin.

Everywhere New Yorkers look, the hills of snow are joined by piles of uncollected, rancid garbage.

“It’s disgusting,” Chelsea Winchell, of Midtown, said. “You don’t want to live in filth.”

SOUND-OFF: Has the trash been piling up outside your home or apartment?  Tell us about it…

The return of the towering post-storm trash has New Yorkers making a stink yet again.

“It’s very unhealthy,” Roberto Valdes, of the West Side, said. “I hope New York City does a better job.”

The city will resume trash removal on Monday, but with service described as “limited,” and only for areas that normally have Monday collections.

The public has been urged to pitch in as well. Officials are asking residents to make sure that sanitation crews have a clear path for pick-up, and to dig out snow-covered bags and containers.

The FDNY is also reminding residents to dig out their fire hydrants.

Alternate side parking and meter rules will once again be suspended on Monday.

Many residents are still angry about the smelly garbage mess that grew and grew following the Christmas Day blizzard. Some residents say their neighborhoods went 10 days or more without pick-up, forcing people to hold their noses, watch their steps and dodge rats.

Now, with another big storm in the forecast for mid-week, residents worry that the city will make only a small dent in the problem before getting overwhelmed all over again.

“I predict [that] by spring, it’ll be gone,” one New Yorker said.

More from Dave Carlin
Comments

1. Steven says:

Trash still getting ignored, all down my block, overflowing trash bins sit outside. Rats must b in heaven.

2. SI,NY 2/4/11 No garbage removed again over 2 weeks. says:

FEB 4th 2011 and again no garbage collected over 2 weeks SI, NY. Staten Island has had more snow than NYC and this is now Feb.4th 2011 and again no garbage pickup for over 2 weeks. Two family house no place to put cans. snow was so high that pulling out of driveway you can;t see if there is a car coming. And each time you pull out you are hitting the garbage cans again. Do not have more room for cans. There should be no reason for still having no collection for over 2 weeks again now. Snow again tomorrow. Should I put my cans back and have room to pile the snow higher again ? If not my cans will be in the way. I am wondering HAS THERE BEEN CUT BACKS OF SANITATION WORKERS IN NYC? Anyone know? We havent had that many days of snow to not get garbage removed after 2 weeks again..

3. barb says:

FEB 4th 2011 and again no garbage collected over 2 weeks SI, NY. Staten Island has had more snow than NYC and this is now Feb.4th 2011 and again no garbage pickup for over 2 weeks. Two family house no place to put cans. snow was so high that pulling out of driveway you can;t see if there is a car coming. And each time you pull out you are hitting the garbage cans again. Do not have more room for cans. There should be no reason for still having no collection for over 2 weeks again now. I am wondering if there was a cut back for sanitation workers in NYC. Anyone know?

4. higher tax payer says:

ant – i’m not a regular nyc news follower – what’s the sanitation re-engineering by bberg that you refer to?

5. Wondering says:

I don’t understand why the garbage trucks with plows attached don’t pick up the garbage as well. Is it a safety issue? I mean the plows are in the front of the truck and garbage is collected in the back of the truck. So, why don’t they do both?

1. ANT says:

trashed gets picked up when the bosses say, not the sanitation workers.it starts at the top

6. Steven says:

NY’s laziest picked up the trash across the street from my building but left mine . apparently I live in “another zone”. And Dunkin’ Donuts is in their zone! Give me their jobs. I’ll do it twice as well for the same price in half the time!

1. ant says:

you think its easy climbing over mountains of snow and ice , then take the test big mouth,you probably never did hard work in your life.

2. ANT says:

no moron,its probably on another route, all areas are broken up into routes

7. tommy says:

More and more professionals will leave this city. I, myself, am getting fed up the mismanagement of the city’s agencies. Trust me, there is a lot of tax payers money being wasted here. I worked in the Parks Dept a bit and incompetence rules there. Park workers idling vehicles, taking the long way to get places, stopping for multiple coffee and cigarette breaks, and all while wasting gas that you the taxpayer pay for. That’s just one example. Also, I found it hilarious that the city will give tickets for stupid things like “not tying up all cardboard” and dropping a hefty fine of 100 bucks, but they can’t show up on garbage day. This place is ridiculous. Stop wasting money pooberg! And don’t layoff our teachers, or you will watch this city go right down drain.

8. Alan says:

HOT – What are you talking about? The hydrants are all on the sidewalk. Been a NYer over 30 years and have never seen What you are talking about. You don’t need to shovel the street near the hydrant.

High – Quit talking about things you don’t know about. As a city resident, I can tell you our services have always been the best up untill Bloomberg & Steven Goldsmith’s recent re-engineering of sanitation. Before that we always had 3 trash pick-ups a week, and 1 recycling pick-up a week. As someone who doesn’t live in the city, how would you know? And our property taxes are higher than long island.

9. Bowery resident says:

it is unlikely anyone is smelling rancid trash on the street considering anything that smells is frozen within minutes. the guy above is right, we pay very low property taxes compared to most US cities so dont expect white glove service 24/7. on my street in little italy we shoveled our own snow instead of waiting for the incompetent city workers to take of us. instead of complaining about whats not being done for you try picking up a shovel and doing some community service.

10. Hot Blooded says:

And the FDNY is asking us to clear fire hydrants. When ever I clear a Hydrant either someone parks their car there or the plows bury it again. I give up!

11. High Tax Payer says:

City Residents, if you want to enjoy the luxury of low property taxes as compared to the surrounding communities get used to poor basic services. Your emergency services are the best but the basics are average at best. We on Long Island have high property taxes and excellent basic servises, however our Police are at best average.

12. Carol says:

I haven’t had my trash picked up since Saturday 1/22. With storms mid-week they will stop pickup again. I do not understand why they were not picking up trash yesterday. They certaining weren’t doing any plowing or salting.

1. ANT says:

corol i hear you on not picking trash on saturday, they had us shoveling x- walks , bus stops , fire hydrants

Comments are closed.