News

Woman, Baby, 3 Others Sickened By Fumes In NYC

Generic Hospital Bed File Photo (credit: CBS 2)

Generic Hospital Bed File Photo (credit: CBS 2)

NEW YORK (AP) – A woman, her 1-year-old niece and three other people had to be rushed to the hospital after they were sickened by carbon monoxide fumes at a Brooklyn brownstone.

Relatives told the Daily News that Stephanie Griffith was bathing her niece when the baby lost consciousness on Sunday afternoon. A short time later, the 22-year-old woman also passed out.

Officials said three neighbors also were affected by the gas leak. All had nonlife-threatening injuries.

Con Ed told the family that the fumes came from the boiler. The family told the News that the apartment had a carbon monoxide detector but that it had no batteries.

(Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)