Probe Extended In Harlem Block-Party Police Gunfire
NEW YORK (AP) – A grand jury probe into the circumstances surrounding a hail of police gunfire after a Harlem block party last summer is taking longer than expected.
Prosecutors had been scheduled to reveal Wednesday whether the only man arrested in the Aug. 8 mayhem had been indicted. But they said the case was still before the grand jury. Results are now expected by March 2.
Police have said 24-year-old Angel Alvarez spurred the 46-bullet barrage by firing at officers. His lawyers say they’re confident he’ll be exonerated.
One man was killed amid the gunfire. Alvarez was shot at least 15 times. Two officers and three bystanders were hurt.
Alvarez is being held on a weapons-possession charge.
A lawyer for four officers involved in the shooting declined to comment.
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)