NJ Jewelry Store Owner Killed In Apparent Murder-Suicide

BRIDGEWATER, N.J. (CBS 2) — A strip mall was the scene of a baffling murder-suicide Monday afternoon.

Police officials said a gunman tried to hold up the Roy T. Jewelers store before shooting its owner, Roy T. Devoe, and turning the gun on himself around 4:45 p.m.

After Devoe was killed, police began checking every car in the parking lot along with neighboring stores in a search for answers.

Shopper Lori Rosten lamented over the shooting, saying it was all “over money and jewelry, that’s it.”

“And lives are lost, it’s a real shame,” she told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis.

Workers said they didn’t see or hear what happened until it was all over, adding they were shaken up by the incident.

Roy T. Jewelers has been in business for 25 years and specialized in high-end, custom-made pieces along with the buying and selling of gold and silver.

Customer Fae Cushing and her children were inside the store to have a tennis bracelet appraised just one hour before the shooting occured.

“I’m feeling grateful to be alive,” Cushing said.

“If my mom went an hour after she would have been killed,” Cushing’s daughter said.

Two other women were in the store at the time of the shooting, but were not hurt. Police are not yet saying whether there was any relationship between the gunman and the store owner.

Tired of the senseless violence? Tell us your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. Jackson miles says:

Isn’t his dad a cop and a reservist? Where did he get the gun?

2. the stig says:

he robbed the jewlery store and told them make him a grill

3. rema says:

It amazes me that you people will argue over petty stuff. Life’s where lost. families and friends are devastated on both sides.

sheldon archer
    And Americans complain about Mexicans and Muslims

YA WELL WE CAN TELL THAT YOU ARE NOT AN AMERICAN SO GET OUT OF AMERICA. 9/11… MS 13. ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.. THAT IS WHAT AMERICA HAS A PROBLEM WITH. IF YOU PAY TAXES AND BELIEVE IN THE AMERICAN VALUES THEN I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH YOU.. I AM SURE THAT GOES FOR 98% OF AMERICANS. BUT I WONT EVEN GET INTO THAT.

the point is my prayers go out to Mr. deVoe and his THREE children.. His two daughters AND LITTLE BOY that now have to live without there kind loving father. Roy had a heart of gold. this hole thing is a true tragedy.

4. Our thoughts and prayers are with Roy’s family right now. It’s a shock and a terribly tragedy.

5. Branchburg says:

I was in the parking lot coming out of Wegmans with my groceries when I heard the gunshots…I was in disbelief…and still am in disbelief that this entire ordeal happened… I was very upset to learn of the outcome later on in the news, the owner of the jewlery store was a very nice man from what I heard and was working in the store with his daughter whom I saw exit the store shortly after the gun shots…but was glad (God forgive me) at the same time to find out the gunman took his own life because I went home worrying he was on the loose

1. Alex says:

The gunman wasn’t a bad guy, he just had issues that no one could see.
      None of his friends forgive him for killing that man (at least none that I know), but it is terrible that he took his own life for no reason. He was a great friend and a great person.
      He was only 19, no one deserves that. He needed help and apparently didn’t want it.

6. Elizabeth says:

What a terrible tragedy. Warm thoughts to Roy’s family. He ran an honest, welcoming and trusting shop, and I can only hope that legacy will continue now that he’s gone.

7. NATURE says:

WHY?WHY?WHY? WE SAY IT EVERTIME A PERSON DECIDES TO BE SO RUDE AS TO TAKE A LIFE OVER MATERIAL ITEMS,I WONDER IF THESE PEOPLE KNOW THE DAMAGE,THE HEARTBREAK ,THE PEOPLE THEY MEANT SO MUCH TO,DO THEY KNOW WHAT DAMAGE THEY REALLY CAUSED.

8. Garmonbozia says:

Answer? No. Not at all.

Guns do not commit crimes. Crime rates have been going down for years, while lawful gun ownership has gone up. There’s not one-for-one connection.

We don’t have a gun problem in America. We have a violence problem in America. Gun control laws won’t solve that issue. It doesn’t even address that issue.

9. Abdulmalik Sambo says:

The American society especially the National Rifles Association insists on free and flexible gun ownership regime, won’t this type of senseless violence and killings help change their minds about the need for tighter gun control regime? Time and more senseless violence like this shall tell

1. C.B. says:

Guns don’t kill, people kill. If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. Look at illegal drug use in our country. If everyone carried a gun, criminals would think twice about using one in a hold up. I think everyone should be required to carry a gun.

10. ted says:

Guns and Jesus. Would Jesus want Christians to have firearms?

1. Garmonbozia says:

You bet he would.

Jesus would want his children to defend the precious lives he gave them, against those evildoers who would try to take their lives away from them.

2. Robin says:

If the store owner had a gun, he might still be alive

11. sheldon archer says:

And Americans complain about Mexicans and Muslims

12. jumjum says:

what kind of life is this? Americans are bunch of crazy poeple. u wake and decide u want to go out today and take someone’s life. u all need prayers.

1. G.M.C.P. says:

Oh please gimme a break dude!!!

2. danielle says:

prayers will save us? and were the crazy ones? right.

3. Tom says:

We don’t need prayers, dumbdumb. What you need though is to learn how to show some respect when somebody loses his life. I can’t believe how many foolish comments are up here.

1. Loyal Customer says:

My thoughts and prayers go out to Roy’s family! He was a very nice man and had a great business. Always helpful with a smile. It is unfortunate that this happened.

Bad people will find a way to get their hands a gun regardless of laws. People can be selfish. This man (the so called robber) couldn’t just take his only life but had to take an innocent man with him. Rest in Peace Roy and watch over your family from the heavens above.

Comments are closed.