Queens Little League Coach Accused Of Molesting 3 Players

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Queens Little League coach accused of molesting three teenagers on his team collapsed during his arraignment Wednesday.

As prosecutors presented evidence against David Hartshorn, the suspect turned to his lawyer, said he didn’t feel well and then collapsed.

Hartshorn recovered and the proceedings continued. He was charged with use of a child in a sexual performance and sexual abuse. Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said detectives recovered videos made with boys going back decades. The DA said the Hartshorn had the boys play games like poker. The loser had to perform a sex act in front of the others.

Hartshorn did not enter a plea; he has been ordered held without bail.

The former Rochdale Village Little League coach is accused of sexually assaulting at least three teenage players – ages 13 and 14 – from July 2009 until just recently. Prosecutors said one of the boys told his mother, who notified police.

1010 WINS Reporter Steve Sandberg spoke with Hartshorn’s neighbor

Brown told 1010 WINS that authorities executed a search warrant at Hartshorn’s home Tuesday night and found videotapes of the alleged encounters.

Brown said Hartshorn was also the administrator of the league’s Facebook account and authorities are following up with other children who have participated on the team.

Neighbors described Hartshorn as a big kid with children constantly going in and out of his Queens home.

“He’s played with the children, all times of night, they’re just here all weekend, they get together, they go out, they come back,” Wanda Harris told 1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg. “We never knew a thing.”

“I am so shocked. I am … blown away by this,” Harris told Guzman.

Some residents are questioning the league’s failure to properly screen their employees.

“If they’re not doing background checks I need to know why because somebody that’s around children they should be properly screened,” Nicole Coleman said.

Sound off in the comments section below!

Comments

1. sarah says:

This Guy was hiding under the name coach but really he is predator. He look for the children whose parents need a baby sitter and a father figure and take advantage on their poor little youth. He never give them a chance to experience life on their own. He has it all set up making a name for his self. But thanks to the little boy who was brave enough to tell his mom and she did not sit on it. She took a stand. To that mother I am proud of you. You just shut down a sicko

2. DBNAX says:

I actually knew Dave, we rode on the same LIRR train from Locust Manor, my 12 yrs played for Rochdale. This is a sad day, but I am glad he is off the streets. My heart goes out to all the young men and the parents, He will get what he deserve….Don’t drop the soap.

1. derek stevenson says:

“Don’t drop the soap”? Really you are a jerk. What a great message to send to others and what a great way to show your concern towards the kids and parents that that man has hurt. you are a jerk

3. Sarah says:

13 and 14 sounds quite old for this to happen! Where are their parents? They allowed sleepovers and never suspected a thing. Why is this always the excuse? Parent your children people!

4. niyoka says:

my son was a little leaguer and david was his coach… i hate to have to tell him this news. but i tell you i was ALWAYS taught never to have my kids at steepovers or leave them alone with adults… i even watched the practice. i guess my mom’s pyschosis paid off?

5. Mr. Armenia says:

Seems like it was all consensual. His rights have been violated.

1. Lee says:

13 and 14 year old boys cannot consent to have sex with an adult!! And the boys were probably 11 and 12 when all this abuse started. The boys are the ones who have been violated. Pedophiles have NO rights to violate.

2. sarah v says:

A 14 year old is not an adult

6. Nick says:

It doesn’t “feel well”. So how did the boys felt?

Next time this f @ g fakes a collapse, use a defibrillator on it.

7. argyle says:

Wow. He will probably spend the rest of his life in jail if found guilty. I’ve heard that child molesters get treated extra special by their fellow inmates. He’s probably under suicide watch too – he has to be thinking about checking out …

8. Dave Brooks says:

“Children constantly going in and out of his house…all times of night….all weekend” Really!? And no one thought this was a little suspicious? Good job, neighbor Wanda Harris – and everyone else who saw something but said nothing. It’s not that you “never knew a thing,” it’s that you chose not to get involved.

1. Mark Thompson says:

Exactly right.

2. Wanda Harris says:

@Mr. David Brooks. YOU SAY “GET INVOLVED”, NO NOT GET INVOLVED, I’M NOT PSYCHIC. THOSE WERE NOT MY CHILDREN I HAVE A FAMILY AND I’M A PARENT. ALL I CAN SAY IS I WOULD NOT ALLOW MY CHILDREN TO SPEND THE NIGHT AT A COACHES HOUSE. FROM NEIGHBOR WANDA HARRIS

9. himmy says:

was there any sox puppet play?

10. kim yates says:

why be a coach if you cant?

Comments are closed.