Should Prokhorov, Nets Get Back In Carmelo Trade Mix?
NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – The Denver Nuggets’ Carmelo Anthony trade drama continues to unfold with trade rumors galore.
With so many reported proposals that have so far failed to stick, NBA insiders are left wondering if the New Jersey Nets will insert themselves back into the mix.
The Knicks are working on a reported three-team deal that would land Mike D’Antoni’s team a second legitimate superstar. The Los Angeles Lakers reportedly nixed a deal that would send Andrew Bynum packing to Denver in exchange for Anthony.
Carmelo even admitted on Wednesday that he would “take a real hard look” at signing a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nuggets if he isn’t dealt by the NBA’s Feb. 24 deadline.
Does all of this week’s ‘Melo-drama set the stage for New Jersey?
“You know Denver’s going to call back,” one agent who was involved in the Nets’ collapsed mega-deal told the Post. “When the Nuggets call, you think the Nets are going to hang up?”
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov stunningly yanked the Nets from trade discussions they’d spent months engaging in, telling the team on January 19 to end the long, drawn-out trade talks with the Nuggets.
Nets general manager Billy King told WFAN after the talks fell apart, simply, “we’re done, we’re moving on.”
The proposed deal had New Jersey sending point guard Devin Harris, rookie power forward Derrick Favors, the third draft pick overall, guards Anthony Morrow, Quinton Ross and Ben Uzoh, swingman Stephen Graham and at least two first-round draft picks to Denver.
Many fans and analysts believe that the Nets’ original offer far exceeds the possible return for Denver in the Knicks’ reported three-team negotiations.
According to the Post, the Knicks have discussed adding Wilson Chandler, Anthony Randolph, rookie Andy Rautins, and the expiring contracts of Kelenna Azubuike and Eddy Curry to a proposed three-team deal with Denver and the Minnesota Timberwolves.
“The best thing that happened to the Nets was the Knicks offer,” one league source told the Post.
Minnesota would send a first-round draft pick and Corey Brewer to the Nuggets, while adding Randolph and Curry from New York.
“Eddy Curry, a draft pick they don’t have and maybe a guy who needs surgery (Wilson Chandler) is the meat of the offer,” the source added.
The Nuggets may be able to sign Anthony to an extension, but if they are serious about fielding offers, they’ll have to take a “real hard look” at the Nets.
“When all’s said and done,” the source said, “the Nets have the most to offer.”
Should the Nets make a second play for ‘Melo? Let us know in the comments below!
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)