NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez joined WFAN’s Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts Wednesday to discuss the incident that ended his season last year and jeopardized his future with the team.
K-Rod knows he has an image to repair after attacking his girlfriend’s father at Citi Field last season.
“It was a very unfortunate situation that I put myself into, which I totally regret” he said. “You just got to move on and hopefully, you know, go out there this year and help this ball club to once again be in the postseason.”
Rodriguez was placed on the disqualified list in August, six days after he tore a ligament in the thumb of his pitching hand while punching his girlfriend’s father outside a family lounge at Citi Field. He’s happy the Mets decided to turn the other cheek.
“I knew the front office would give me the opportunity would to be part of the 2011 New York Mets,” Rodriguez said.
Rodriguez turned heads at Mets camp Tuesday when his white Lamborghini showed up to Port St. Lucie on a flatbed truck.
“Just a little present that I buy for my birthday last year,” said K-Rod. “Trying to enjoy it.”
Highlights from K-Rod’s appearance with Joe and Evan:
On how the ongoing saga with Bernie Madoff and the Mets ownership effects the team:
“Things that go on with management outside the field, we have no control over it.”
On his contract after this season and related incentives:
“I can’t be thinking about a contract next year. That will take care of itself.”
On hearing fans boo the team, possibly as soon as opening day:
“I’m not at all concerned. When you’re doing something bad they’ll let you know and I’m OK with that.“
How do you feel about K-Rod closing again? Weigh in below…
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)