Slain Newburgh Boy’s Dad: Accused Killer Should Be ‘Put To Death’

NEW YORK (CBS 2/WCBS 880) — The man long suspected of being Marc Bookal’s killer was charged with murder Wednesday afternoon in the death of the 4-year-old Orange C0unty boy.

District Attorney Frank Phillips said Byrd, the boyfriend of Bookal’s mother, has been charged with four counts of homicide and two counts of tampering with physical evidence.

“Obviously a very tragic event when anybody dies as a result of a homicide, compounded extraordinarily when that victim is 4 years of age,” he told reporters including WCBS 880’s Catherine Cioffi.

WCBS 880’s Catherine Cioffi gets the details on the charges from the Orange County D.A.

Phillips said Bookal died as a result of “blunt force trauma” and “numerous injuries” throughout his body and head.

The young boy’s biological father spoke with CBS 2’s Lou Young spoke Wednesday and vowed to be at the Byrd’s murder trial.

“Even if I lose my job, [I’ve] got be there. If I have be at the court, I don’t care, I got to be there for my son. I got to represent him. He’s dead, he can’t represent himself,” Yul Bookal said.

“He’s just an evil [expletive]. He need to be put to death. I wish New York had the death penalty,” the boy’s father told Young.

Authorities said the reason for the child’s killing remained a mystery.

“At this point motive is speculative as it is in most homicide cases. There is no rational explanation for causing the death of a 4 year-old child,” Phillips said.

The young boy disappeared in December of 2009. His remains were found last March.

The parents and friends of the little boy held his funeral on April 23, 2010, four months after his disappearance.

Police believed the child was murdered before Christmas, but the remains weren’t discovered until after the weather warmed and snow melted.

Byrd was seen with Bookal in the last image anyone had seen of the boy – a surveillance video taken days before Christmas. Byrd claimed the child vanished, but his past record of child abuse and reluctance to cooperate with police made them skeptical.

“What could a little four-year-old boy have done to make you kill him?” Yul Bookal said at the funeral last year. “I’m trying to make sense out of it, but it makes no sense.”

More from Lou Young
Comments

1. kiana says:

so sad but he can never be hurt again i wrote a special poem for him but i dont know how to go about getting it in the newspaper …..

2. cmb says:

i think something bad happen to this child but who am i to say god said venges is his so we are not to judge one another but i also say this if he killed this child he needs to burn in hell and so does the mother because she knew his background from the frist child he hurt so she needs to be locked up to .

3. Andrew M says:

I cant believe this happened to that poor little boy. As a former victim of Corey Byrd I hope That justice is served and I hope that he never gets another free day in his life. Obviously he is a complete danger to society. I believe life in prison is worse than death. May justice be served and RIP little man!

4. Reek33 says:

I am sooo happy they got that f#$kin coward. I hope they tear him a new but hole in prison. I knew he did something with that poor lil boy as soon as he went missing, he needs to die. He doesn’t deserve to live or breath. Cory Byrd should have never been born, nor do he deserve to live among any human beings. I feel sorry that his family had such a monster related to them. I just feel soo much hate towards him, and im not even gonna start on Lil Marc Bookal’s mother rite now. Smdh Lil Marc will finally be able to rest in peace. We love you lil Marc

5. William says:

We should thank L.E. For there determination in finding this young boy an arresting this perp…justice will be served for Marc because of them.. The next time you get angry at a police officer remember when you are in need they are there for you not against you…Newburgh residents when you see you patrolmen out there thank them for there tough work protecting you Thank you newburgh police department for the good work in this case God bless an protect you all thanks

6. Elvis says:

The punishment for this should be an eye for an eye. Hurt this coward ass the EXACT SAME WAY he hurt this little boy. THEN fry his stupid ass.

7. frontier justice says:

there isn’t a punishment cruel enough to satisfy the cries for justice for this innocent little boy. even the folks in the general population would be more than outraged, and want in on “justice.” the native peoples and the vikings would be good sources for punishment. the vikings would often bury someone in the fjords at lo tide up to their neck, and let the incoming tide take care of the rest. be at peace little friend, you are in the company of the angels, and nobody can ever hurt you again. justice for the victim!

8. diamondgirl says:

The childs mother should also be charged with homicide for allowing this monster to watch this child. Bryd already served time for harming her older child. He’s a monster and she is a disgrace.

1. Preston Patterson says:

The biological father vowed to be at trial. Where was he when the child was being abused.

9. Zayas says:

This story is so sad and unfair to this child–he must have lived in complete fear and terror!

The person who did this deserves life in prison, but more: never to see the light of day!

10. JERRY PRICE says:

I NEVER WILL UNDERSTAND HOW SOMEONE CAN HARM A CHILD. MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE PARENTS. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO IF SOME ONE KILLED ONE MY SON. MOST LIKELY I WOULD LOSE IT. THE KILLER DESERVES NOTHING LESS THAN HIS OWN DEMISE.

11. valoispq says:

Poor little guy, to die in pain and fear and only 4 yrs. old, how evil is someone to perpetrate this on him. How could the Mom have a man like that in the home. Horrible situation for that little buy to have lived in until his traumatic death. God bless him and keep him!

12. Carlos Liriano says:

how about the electric chair, fry him, the world will be better without his kind

13. danielle376 says:

First change the penal law so that boyfriends and caretakers get the max for killing CHILDREN… period.

Then indict this creep and through him under the jail.

Comments are closed.