Gov. Christie’s Budget Expected To Include Medicaid Cuts

TRENTON, N.J. (CBS 2) — New Jersey Governor Chris Christie will be unveiling his budget next week.

He’s been traveling around the country, and from what he’s been saying, it seems inevitable that he plans on making cuts in Medicaid, the program that helps the poor get medical services, reports CBS 2’s Christine Sloan.

Seven-year-old Justin Faulkner is in a Jersey City clinic because of a broken toe, but the service his mother really relies on – speech therapy – is paid for by Medicaid.

“They teach me how to do stuff,” Justin said.

His speech therapy is one of the optional Medicaid programs that could be on the chopping block if Governor Christie makes cuts in Medicaid. Justin’s mother, who lost her job, is worried.

“It would hurt him in the future,” Jersey City resident Venora Faulkner said. “He wouldn’t be able to complete himself, because I wouldn’t be able to afford it.”

Governor Christie said the state is facing an $11 million budget deficit. He said he can’t spend more money, and he’s not raising taxes.

“We have to fix Medicaid because it’s not only bankrupting the federal government, it’s bankrupting every state government,” Christie said.

Other states have cut optional Medicaid programs like prescription drugs, eyeglasses, and chiropractic and dental services. Some in New Jersey say they understand the need for the cuts. “I think this whole thing is a disgrace,” one New Jersey resident said. “I think if we don’t get this under control, this country will not be what we know.”

Others, though, don’t know how they’ll pay for their prescriptions without Medicaid.

The director of the Jersey City clinic where Justin was treated said they’re also facing cuts in federal funding, and if the state does the same, they would have to lay off workers and cut services to the poor.

“If our centers shut down and they hold back on services, the only alternative would be the emergency room, which is about 200 or 300 percent above our cost,” the clinic director said. “At the end of the day, hospitals will continue to close.”

The reality, she said, is that patients who rely on Medicaid will truly have nowhere to go.

Governor Christie is expected to unveil his budget on Tuesday. A spokesperson said the administration won’t release any information on any kind of cuts until then.

New Jersey expects to spend more than $4 billion on Medicaid this fiscal year.

More from Christine Sloan
Comments

1. sadworldwelivein says:

oooh my he/she may not have legs, but you don’t have a heart. In no legs backyard today….in your;s tomorrow. Sad, Sad Sad world we live in

2. Abril Ferguson says:

Yeah. I’m with “johnny” above: Just because some SOB loses his legs is no reason he can’t walk it off. There must be some farmers out there who can’t afford milking machines–let them wheelchair jockeys milk a cow here and there for some money like God intended, instead of milking the system.

1. Nora Faulkner says:

God should not come out your mouth behind a statement like that God doesnt like ugly and karma is a mother…..remember what you said when something goes wrong in perfect life

3. Sandy says:

People die without blood pressure, diabetes, etc., medications. Yet we can cut the millionaire’s tax.

4. Terrance says:

@johnny Iit’s funny how we can pass judgement on someone just because we are noy in that situation. I’m not saying that welfair shouldn’t put restrictions on claims. But when these Gov.,state, or federal agentcies start making cuts, how come they never lay themselves off? Or cut programs that effect their children or grandchildren?

5. Belinda says:

It’s unfortunate that low-income families will be impacted so negatively by these cutbacks. Justin’s need for Speech Therapy is solely one example of how beneficial the Medicaid programs are. There has to be a better solution than to just omitting necessary health care benefits. Perhaps taking a closer look (Politician’s salaries, etc.) would be a great start.

6. Heather says:

Maybe if the lawmakers really gave thorough laws we wouldnt be in this mess, but we are all in it and though some may not need or care about domestic programs hopefully they will be around if anyone ever needs it. For when in need rely on GOD not Man. No matter what poiliticians are doing God is watching everything. I pray Justin has what he needs to be safe, healthy and strong.

7. Nora Faulkner says:

I have worked all my life and did not except to get laid off. When I did have a job I still could not afford to medical coverage I feel that Gov. Christie needs to look into the community and realize that this will hurt under privilleged families. It’s not fair that the rich get richer and the poor are unhealthy.

8. Nora says:

9. johnny says:

I don’t even get dental or eyeglass coverage and I have insurance. Why should these people get full coverage and not even work at all? The time for these people to start taking personal responsibility for themselves is now. I don’t understand how they’ve been able to milk the system for years and not do anything to better themselves to the point of being able to achieve self sufficiency. I applaud you Mr.Christie

Comments are closed.