Report: Nuggets Want 5 Knicks, Pick For Carmelo
NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — The ransom for Carmelo Anthony just keeps growing and growing.
According to the NY Post, Denver asked the Knicks last week to give up Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields, Timofey Mozgov and a first-round draft pick for Anthony and Chauncey Billups.
Donnie Walsh’s Knicks were “flabbergasted” over the Nuggets’ demands, reported the Post’s anonymous source.
“They want everything,” the source said. “The Knicks didn’t even have to sit down and talk about that offer. It’s not even logistically possible. They’d have two miserable stars with nothing around them.”
“At the end of the trade, we have to look at it and say, ‘Are we a good basketball team?,’ ” Walsh said before New York’s 102-90 win over Atlanta.
That’s a high price — much higher than previously thought.
The Daily News reported Tuesday that the Knicks would have to give up Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, an unnamed third starter, Eddy Curry’s expiring contract, and “at least” one first-round draft pick in exchange for Anthony and Billups.
At that sum, the Knicks were unwilling to pull the trigger.
“I think this thing is going to go right down to the wire,” Frank Isola of the Daily News explained to WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton on Tuesday. “I still think the Knicks are debating whether or not to just try to wait until the summer to sign him outright, or maybe hope that Denver lowers its asking price a little bit.”
Anthony, who has been part of a season-long trade saga that could see him leave Denver at next Thursday’s trading deadline, is already prepared for the attention he’ll receive in Los Angeles at the All-Star break.
He dubbed it ‘MeloWatch’ on Wednesday and it’s something he doesn’t seem eager to participate in because he doesn’t have the answers to what his future holds and is noncommittal when asked if he’d sign an extension with the Nuggets.
The most recent rumors put Anthony in New York with either the Knicks or Nets, but he said he’s grown tired of trying to keep up with the latest news and he’s ready for something to finally happen.
“I have no clue, to be honest with you, I don’t know. I’m waiting to see just like you guys are,” Anthony said. “I feel good out there on the court — mentally, physically, emotionally right now. I feel good. Once I come into this locker room or in any arena that’s when everything just moves to the side.”
Further complicating matters is the option for Anthony to stay in Denver.
Last week, Anthony said he would “take a real hard look” at signing an extension with Denver if he isn’t dealt by the deadline.
“I was thinking it was something that I would take a real hard look at … and make my decision,” he said.
“Maybe they just don’t want to do it,” the Post’s source said. “Didn’t they do that with the Nets? When you keep asking for more until you say no, maybe you don’t want to do it. Maybe they want to go to the playoffs with Anthony and call his bluff on June 30th.”
How much is too much for Carmelo? Let Denver know in the comments below!
(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)