Live Now: Mayor, Police Commissioner Discuss NYC Crime Statistics | Watch Live | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

Wide-Ranging Anti-Bullying Effort Underway At NYC Schools

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Following a week-long anti-bullying effort, City Council Speaker Christine Quinn and Schools Chancellor Cathie Black are unveiling a series of new education initiatives Friday.

The new, pro-tolerance initiatives will be implemented during the 2011-2012 school year.

The announcement comes at the conclusion of “Respect For All Week,” which ran from Feb. 14-18.

The “Respect For All” curriculum focuses on promoting diversity and tolerance in all 1,700 New York City public schools.

“We’re going to be expanding our school safety team,” says Quinn. “Every school in the city has a school safety team, but up until now, that safety team was never charged with the issue of fighting bullying and harassment.”

A so-called “Respect For All liaison” has been added to to the unit responsible for keeping the schools safe.

Quinn and the Department of Education unveiled the program back in 2007.

Christine Quinn explains the importance of the curriculum to WCBS 880’s Rich Lamb

The Respect For All Week website says, “Each student, faculty and staff member of the NYC public schools brings to our school community the richness of our city’s cultural diversity and the desire for respect.”

What do you think? Is enough being done to combat bullying in schools? Sound off in our comments section.

According to the New York City Department of Education, these are some examples of banned behaviors.

– Threatening or harassing, intimidating or physically assaulting another student because of her/his race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or disability;

– Using derogatory language in reference to another student’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, or disability;

– Teasing or taunting another student Making derogatory jokes or name calling or slurs directed at others because of their race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or disability;

– Written or graphic material, including graffiti, containing comments or stereotypes that are either posted, circulated or are written or printed on clothing or circulated on the Internet (cyber-bullying) that are derogatory of others because of their race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or disability;

– Negative stereotypes or hostile acts which are derogatory to others because of their race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation or disability.

More from Rich Lamb
Comments

1. Sick of Bloomberg says:

Shakespeare would be proud! The pure, distiiled irony of the Mayor Bully and his Cancellor of Bullying promoting anti-bullying programs. Talk about the fox in the henhouse. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. Methinks that New York City is an unweeded garden of things rank and gross in nature.

2. JM says:

These anti-Bullying ideas have always been in the discipline code of our NYC schools The problem is that they must be strictly enforced.In many cases today principals are afraid to punish the behavior as they fear the number of incidents in their school will be held against them by their supervisors.
    Thus,. In many of our schools the punishment does not fit the crime.

3. DR RUTH SAYS... says:

our florida nyc mayor of i dont have a clue fame should be enrolled 24/7/// just bring a gun and watch the bullys run for their mommies..

4. Ignorante Elephante says:

I fear that this is another attempt to ram a speech stifling agenda right down our throats. I say this because it seems the definition of bullying seems to be a bit warped where saying anything about a gay is bullying but repeatedly satirizing an obnoxious overweight and overpaid UFT boss is not., where criticizing the president amounts to “dangerous rhetoric” but repeatedly making fun and calling for the exile of the Palin family is “protected speech.” Think I am kidding, pushing a political agenda, or exaggerating? Mayor Bloomberg has recently said that yelling and screaming is not free speech. Unless you are inciting a riot, yelling and screaming is quintessential free speech

5. johnny says:

Don’t we already have that worthless NYPD spinoff School Safety to take care of stuff like this? I wonder what kind of laws they’re gonna ram through this time

6. BigEZ says:

Some people just can’t take a joke anymore.
    How sad!

1. AJ says:

I was joking too!!!

1. BigEZ says:

I know AJ I was referring to the report! I bet the person who drafted it Is 475 pounds and has hygiene issues! And the other is a one legged lesbian!

7. AJ says:

From what I just read, I guess it is still okay to pick on fat people.

8. DanTe says:

This is a great idea. Bullying must be stopped. I should know as I was tormented all through high school. As a freshman, I weighed over 300 pounds. I also made the mistake of “coming out” that year. This is why I have such issues today.

1. BigEZ says:

300 pounds and gay!!
      There’s nothing wrong with that!
      Honestly there isn’t
      I promise.

1. Michael H. says:

There most certainly isn’t anything wrong with it. Do you want to meet the nicest kids in a particular school? Sit in on a Gay-Straight Alliance meeting. You’ll never see more respect than you will in that room.

2. BigEZ says:

As long as I can stand with my back to the wall I will give it a go!

2. jack ingolf says:

in the 70s and especially in 7th grade i was crucified.-this is way way overdue and i can honestly say it has made permanet scars on my emotional well being to this day;abuse is emotional ,psycholgical as well as physical;the only difference the former lasts all your life;physical is transitory

Comments are closed.