103-Year-Old Nun Attributes Long Life To Happiness

HAMDEN, Conn. (CBS 2) — So what’s the secret to living over 100 years? As she celebrated her 103rd birthday, Sister Cecilia Adorni attributed her long life not to a healthy diet or clean living, but rather to attitude.

“I think that’s one of the best things in life is to be happy and to be cheerful, and people see you being happy and cheerful, and they become happy and cheerful,” she said.

Her birthday party was held at a nursing home in Hamden, where she still works nearly five hours a day. Of course on that day, she showed what positive attitude is all about, by dancing the polka.

Co-workers said Sister Cecilia also likes to eat an occasional steak.

And when it comes to pepperoni pizza, they said she can eat anyone under the table.

Comments

1. SHANE says:

MY GRANDMOTHER WAS A PROTESTANT WENT TO PUBLIC SCHOOLS ALL HER LIFE HAD TO HAVE A STEAL PLATE PUT IN HER HAND BECAUSE OF THE PHYSICAL ABUSE OF A TEACHER. NOT ALL TEACHERS ARE BAD BUT JUST MAYBE THE STUDENTS PUSH THE TEACHERS OVER THE BRINK. HMM I WONDER IF YOU WERE ONE OF THOSE. WHEN THERE WERE MORE CATHOLIC NUNS TEACHING IN OUR SCHOOLS IT SEEMS THE POPULATION WAS A LOT BETTER THAN IT IS NOW.

2. hector says:

Yardstick, I am not a nun but I would be happy to beat some sense into that stupid head of yours. Sounds like you really needed a few more beatings.I am sure you never had a nun for a teacher. You sound like you are nothing more than anti-catholic and enjoy bashing. You must be some looser!

3. HappyascanB says:

Listen, I had public school teachers who whacked kids over the head with text books and struck terror into our hearts. Others were saints. I don’t let a few bad experiences embitter me or make me predjudiced against all public school teachers. Whatever is inside of you is what will come out of you. I’ve known some great nuns in life (and priests) who were dedicated people living for God and for others. More power to Sr. Cecilia !! She’s the kind we want to see in a habit. Her joy and faith give it, its meaning.

4. Diane says:

Not every teacher -public or Catholic was mean — to lump people together –and say all are bad when a couple are bad is ignorant. I have known Catholic Nuns and Public School teachers.. The nuns who taught me were kind and caring. Most of the public school teachers were also — but I did run into a couple who were known to knock kids into walls and use the ruler over the backs of hands.. Even so I would not say all public school teachers are brutal. To air out a past wound on a person you do not know anything about —but choose to insinuate that she is like whoever hurt you -because of her being a nun is just as mean as whoever was mean to you I believe this is very close to slander which is also illegal.

5. TONY P. says:

SISTER CECILIA WAS THE MOTHER SUPERIOR STARTING IN 1965 AT ST JOSEPH’S IN THE LOWER EAST SIDE ON MONROE ST. AND WHEN I SAW HER ON TV I RECOGNIZED HER RIGHT AWAY. CAN’T BELIEVE SHE’S STILL ALIVE.

6. CARMEN ANCHETA says:

HAPPINESS, PEACE, THEY ARE THE KEY TO LONGEVITY.

NEVER PASSING JUDGMENT TO OTHERS — SINCE ONLY GOD IS THE FINAL JUDGE — ONLY GOD CAN SEE THE INTERIOR OF A PERSON.

THOSE WHO ARE BEAUTIFUL IN THE INSIDE ARE THOSE WHO LOVE GOD. THE NUNS ARE THE BRIDES OF CHRIST. THEY SHOULD BE GIVEN DUE RESPECT FOR THEIR CHOSEN STATE OF LIFE.

7. Lorna says:

Dear Yardstick, I went to Catholic schools and never saw nuns hitting or being cruel in words. I am very sorry that you had a bad expereince but not all members of religious orders are like that. Instead of holding bitterness in our hearts we should let it go and pray for those who do not live up to what is expected of their role in life.

8. Josie says:

I am so shocked people wrote nasty things about this nun. I am married with children and I love the life I choose, being a nun isn’t for everyone, niether is marriage.This woman devoted her life to Jesus, that’s all I need to know about her. Being a nun takes the kind of obedience i could never have. I admire anyone who can have that kind of devotion (any relegion). People who have negitive comments are, jelous, stupit, crazy, you pick! Happy Birthday sister, I am wishing you 103 more years on earth to serve Our Lord! May God Bless You Always!

9. Old Roman Collar says:

Thank you for wearing your habit.

10. Roux Dawg says:

I hope that all that these nasty people manage to do is discredit atheism and secular humanism.

11. the unifarmer says:

Deus Te Amat🙂

12. argyle says:

Come on now, we don’t know if she was one of those evil nuns. She probably never struck anyone.

She’s most likely sweet as sugar. And she loves a good pepperoni pizza!

If she’s happy at 103, then GOOD FOR HER🙂

13. Sum Yung Gai says:

103 and still doing the polka? Yo go, Sister! I hope I’m in such good health when I’m your age.

14. Sam says:

Why such mean comments toward a 103 year old person? I admire her for her outlook. Being mean and nasty isn’t a ticket to a long life. Direct your hostilities to real criminals.

15. dottie says:

yeah, if the church was taking care of me, and pay my bills, yeah i think i could be happy….

1. Jdeburca says:

If that’s the way you feel you should become a nun.

2. Michael says:

And you too can become a nun if you choose, what is stopping you?

3. Texas2Step says:

And she IS working, caring for others. So however she recieves her financial support, she is earning it. And the simplicity of her life likely makes her needs very inexpensive.

16. Carlos Liriano says:

Dear Yardstick. those nuns in your catholic school should have cracked your thick head and feed you senses into pea size brains of yours.

17. jaypee says:

I wish her a happy birthday and many more. I have to admit as a Catholic the nuns have a good life considering they took the vow of poverty. I never seen a poor looking nun.Their bills are taken care of, they fly to Rome more than the average Joe and all their needs are met. I’d be happy too.

1. Texas2Step says:

Very few nuns ever fly to Rome, and many never leave their cloister. And you don’t have to be poor-looking to be poor.

18. Yardstick says:

She must have whacked a lot of knuckles, slapped many faces and beaten many children in her lifetime. I still have horror memories from my days in Catholic school.
    They should lock them in jail for all the things they used to do to children back in my school days.

1. C.J. says:

They are the original bullies.

2. Chloe says:

Does anyone remember that the public school teachers could be just as mean in that era?

Comments are closed.