Deadly Flatbush Fire Was Result Of Voodoo Ritual, Fire Marshal’s Report Said
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Fire officials said a voodoo ritual caused the deadly fire in the Flatbush section of Brooklyn last weekend.
Candles used during the ceremony ignited bed linens and clothes on the floor, according to the fire marshal’s report.
The fire then spread the rest of the apartment building on East 29th Street in Flatbush last Sunday.
A 64-year-old woman died in the fire and 20 firefighters were injured.
Investigators are calling the fire an accident.
RELATED: Flatbush Fire Fallout: Saving Dollars Vs. Saving Lives | FDNY Strongly Contesting UFA Prez’s Claims On Flatbush Blaze | Union: Brooklyn Death, Injuries ‘Directly Attributable’ To Bloomberg FDNY Staffing Cuts | Investigation Continues In Deadly Flatbush Building Fire | At Least 18 Firefighters Hurt Battling Five-Alarm Brooklyn Blaze