CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Cyanide Scare On Long Island After Jewelry Store Owner Collapses

View Comments
A man was taken to the hospital after possibly being exposed to cyanide at a jewelry store on Manorhaven Boulevard in Port Washington. (Photo/Mona Rivera)

A man was taken to the hospital after possibly being exposed to cyanide at a jewelry store on Manorhaven Boulevard in Port Washington. (Photo/Mona Rivera)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) – A Long Island man is in the hospital after possibly being exposed to the highly toxic chemical cyanide.

Officials say the 51-year-old owner of a Port Washington jewelry store called for an ambulance after falling ill at the Manorhaven Boulevard shop Tuesday morning around 3:40 a.m.

Once at St. Francis Hospital, tests detected cyanide in the man’s system.

As a precaution, hazmat teams were sent to the jewelry manufacturer and repair shop, Port Washington Fire Chief Thomas McDonough said. Two apartments were also evacuated and some local roads were also closed.

Vincent McManus, a division supervisor with the Nassau County Fire Marshal’s office, said the victim may have been exposed to cyanide found in a cleaning solution commonly found in the jewelry industry. He said no fumes are involved and no public health hazard exists.

“This is a liquid and it is confined specifically to the business”, McManus stated.

He said the victim is recovering at the hospital and more tests are being conducted.

View Comments