Sex Attack In Bay Ridge Puts Residents On Edge

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The NYPD was looking Tuesday for a suspect accused of attacking at least two women in separate incidents in Brooklyn.

Both times, police said, the attacker stole cell phones from his victims and tried to sexually assault them.

“It’s pretty scary. I’m like ‘Oh my God it’s terrible’,” said resident Juanita Estrada.

Residents tell 1010 WINS’ John Montone the neighborhood is safe and are shocked by the attacks

“It is scary…you have to watch out when you’re walking, look behind you before you just go to your car and open it,” Bay Ridge resident Markella Mallas told CBS 2’s John Slattery.

Police said the attacks happened Friday night just after 11:00. The first victim was a 44-year-old woman.

The suspect allegedly pointed a gun at her back as she was letting herself into an apartment building, pistol-whipped her in the face, and tried to sexually assault her. She was able to fight him off.

Around 20 minutes later, the suspect later attacked a 22-year-old woman. Police said he allegedly threatened the victim with a gun, shoved her behind a building, and sexually assaulted her.

The violence has residents in this community on alert. “I’m really scared. I go out with my husband all day and the nighttime I stay inside most of the time,” said Maria D’Alessandro.

Police describe the suspect as a white man between 5’6″ and 5’9″, weighing 150 to 170 pounds, and last seen wearing a dark-colored windbreaker, a blue hoodie, and tan or gray pants.

Jovan Morales told CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown that police stopped him Friday night because he so closely resembled the suspect.

“Because I was wearing a blue hoodie and a Mets jacket, and I got stopped by three cop cars and they stopped four other people on Fifth Avenue, so they were really avid about looking for whoever it was,” he said.

The assaults haven’t been linked to any others but police said it’s possible he has attacked before and they believe he will attack again.

“I know I’m definitely going to be walking around with mace, keys, something. I’m going to use it if it ever happens. Maybe it won’t but God forbid if it does I’m going to be prepared,” said Renee Voss.

Police consider the suspect to be armed and dangerous and were asking anyone who has any information that can help identify who he is or his location to call them.

What do you think? Leave a comment below…

Comments

1. NOYFB says:

bay ridge has million dollar homes? ok i could believe that…never been there… how come all the names are spanish, what are they the help. if not then i’m glad to see welfare pays so well that the illegals can afford million dollar homes

1. George Lurye says:

Bay Ridge is a diverse community with lots of different level income housing including multi-million dollar mansions. It also has lots of old apartment buildings along the avenues, it is one of the busiest retail areas in the borough and neighbors Sunset Park, a mainly low-middle income hispanic community.

2. Stacy says:

This has to be the most ignorant comment that I’ve heard in a very long time.

2. sam hain says:

how is it that he was able to attack another woman on the same block 20 minutes later? did it really take cops that long to respond to the first attack? am I the only one who sees anything wrong with this?

1. George Lurye says:

You’re assuming the woman called 911 immediately. I wouldn’t assume that. She may have fled home to safety before making the call. I mean if I was her, I wouldn’t just hang around either.

1. sam hain says:

You’re right I shouldn’t assume, but she was opening the door to her building – she lived right there.

3. James Mous says:

Bob you are an idiot. Bayridge has million-dollar homes and is one of the safest areas of Brooklyn

4. bklyn mom says:

I live on the corner where one of the attacks occured. From the news footage it looks like the attacks occured in 2 different locations. one attack in a building on forthamilton pkwy between 82st and 83st. Other attack in an alleyway/driveway on 6th ave between 82st and 83street. I often park right there. Hope they catch this creep soon….

1. Bob says:

Bay Ridge, what a dump!

1. bklyn mom says:

where do you live bob? some really awesome place?

5. xander says:

“…and were asking anyone who has…”

Sad… really. CBS, you can do better.

6. mystic7 says:

Hey CBS, it’s 2011. There are ways to refresh the comments without reloading the whole page now. For a reasonable fee I’ll be happy to “retrofit” your websites.

7. Richie says:

Would love a bit of a better description… The color of this persons clothes won’t help days after the fact… Would love to get a hand or 2 on this guy before turning him over…

8. Ignorante Elephante says:

Wait, you had sex with Arod’s dog? You were with 11 other guys having sex? I think you’re a freak.

9. A.Christiano says:

I am always aware no matter where I am and told my wife the same thing.I am in the martial arts and told my wife what to do in case of danger.We live in BayRidge and feel comforable but still am careful walking around.I would rather take the long way somewhere and be safer.Women need to know some defense to help themselves.

10. The Good Reverend Tuxton Sincere Jones says:

Agreed

11. thaddeus buttmunch says:

RAPIST? in OUR Hood?!

whassa madda wid you?? BE a MAN!

send the capo slappa his face gviea him cement shoes

12. Robin says:

I recognize the corner that is shown as where the incident happened. This is at 82nd Street & 7th Avenue.

1. jon says:

Actually it’s closer to 83rd street.

1. Fernando says:

The corner shown in the video is at 82nd & 7th Ave & is directly across the street from a small playground. I think the apt. building where the assault started is actually on the corner on 83rd & 7th Ave— but that block is really very short. It has 1 large(ish) apt building and 2 smaller multifamily units. Either way… that area is not lit very well and is quite desolate, as it runs along the expressway. There are often many cars that are vandalized in this section, too.

2. Sara Beth says:

I think it’s actually 6th Avenue. I plan on walking around tomorrow to see where this is exactly. I would love to hang up signs warning women. Sad thing is, it could be anybody.

13. Mr. Armenia says:

What were the victims foing out late at 11pm?

1. jon says:

Anything they want! Are you saying everyone should be home at night scared to go out? It was on a Friday night.

2. sam hain says:

what were the aremenians doing in armenia during the armenian genocide?

14. jenny says:

Great way to scare everyone in the neighborhood. How about advising WHICh street this occured on? and what avenue? Bay Ridge isnt a block big..its a large neighborhood. Also, what time of night/day did this occur? Was it in a remote area? or a populated place? And a better description of the perp is probably in order or should all female residents be weary of any man who’s AVERAGE height and WEIGHT?

1. George Lurye says:

So Jenny, you believe that this guy will stick around that same block? What happened? You think he can’t walk over to Colonial or something? The article said the attack took place around 11pm and it took place in a rectangle between 6th and 7th Avenues, between 82nd and 83rd streets, but I assure you, if he strikes again, it won’t be in the same spot. Those blocks are full of police vehicles now.

Women shouldn’t be wary of men. They should be aware of themselves and their surroundings and minimize their risk. Nothing will protect anyone from everything. Things happen. The best you can do is try to stay as safe as you can.

15. tesla says:

i was hoping he’d be purple!!

1. J says:

He’s white, tough luck.

16. Bay Ridge Resident says:

Um, instead of spreading panic by saying “rapist in your neighborhood!” and nothing else, why don’t you guys actually report where the attacks WERE so people can actually look out for this creep? You put a whole neighborhood on edge and then don’t give any useful information about the actual location of the attacks. “Neighborhood 1,000 ft view” isn’t good enough. Shoddy reporting.

1. jon says:

Agreed. Neither of the women they interviewed for the story were from Bay Ridge. Bay Ridge is actually a safe neighborhood.

2. sam hain says:

what cracks me up is how I live blocks from the general area where this happened and I only hear about this yesterday. everytime i turn on the news all i see is charlie sheen and lindsay lohan. the description is pretty vague too – was he young, old, any distinguishing features other than what he wore and the fact that he is white? there are many hispanics, persians, arabs, israelis, etc. that can look “white” as well.

1. Martin says:

Actually, “hispanics, persians, arabs, israelis” ARE all “white” technically speaking.

17. Maddie says:

Where is the vital information- the facts -of this story?

Who provided survaeillance video?

Where on 82nd street? Is the suspect black, white or latino- or is that not relevant anymore to help identify a criminal?

1. J says:

It says he’s white in the article. read it.

1. Maddie says:

Original, shorter story did NOT state the race of the individual at all.

It does state it now, and there a few more details.

Thank you though, I did read the ORIGINAL article, yesterday.

18. Herm says:

You are not doing us any service by showing surveillance pix, saying the attacks happened on the same block, then NOT SAYING WHAT BLOCK THAT IS!!!

19. anonymous says:

What’s the cross street?

20. abenary85@gmail.com says:

Mr. Goldstein are you disappointed he wasn’t black?

21. K. Viverette says:

In the video, the suspect is descriibed as “White, 5’6″ to 5’9″; 150-170 lbs”.

22. David Goldstein says:

What color, race or ethnicity was the suspect?

1. J says:

WHITE! READ THE ARTICLE!!!!

2. Homie says:

Can u not read correctly since the suspect is white? Lol

Comments are closed.