PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. (AP) — Newly unemployed linebacker Jason Taylor headed for the golf course Wednesday and said he hopes to re-sign with the New York Jets once the NFL’s labor dispute is resolved.
The Jets released Taylor on Tuesday, but he said the parting with coach Rex Ryan was amicable. Taylor left the door open to accepting a smaller contract with the Jets for the 2011 season.
“I want to play in New York for sure,” the 36-year-old Taylor said. “I told Rex yesterday, if I’m going to play, I want to play with the Jets. I had a fantastic time up there. If they’ll have me, I think I would enjoy doing it again.”
Taylor made his comments before teeing off in the Honda Classic pro-am as part of a foursome that included Jack Nicklaus, Tim Tebow and Kenny G.
“I’m nervous. I’m not going to lie,” Taylor said. “It’s a good opportunity to play with obviously the best ever, and the best-ever college football player probably, and a great musician. I’m the runt of the group.”
Taylor and Tebow might have time for a lot of golf this spring, because an NFL work stoppage looms when the collective bargaining agreement expires at midnight Eastern Thursday night.
“I fully expect to be locked out,” Taylor said. “This thing could go until September or October. We have no idea.”
Tebow said he has made plans to work out with Denver Broncos teammates if there’s a stoppage.
“I believe we’ll get together, more with the ones I’ll have to be in good timing with — from the center to some of the running backs and the receivers,” Tebow said. “I don’t have any idea what’s going to happen, and I don’t think many people do. Either way, I’ll just go about my business and keep working.”
As part of his offseason work, Tebow said he spent time recently with new Denver coach John Fox. They first met a year ago, when Tebow was a top prospect out of Florida and Fox coached the Carolina Panthers.
“He’s great,” Tebow said. “I had a great relationship with him last year in the whole recruiting process. We had several dinners together when he was at Carolina.”
Last week, Fox named veteran Kyle Orton his starting quarterback, meaning Tebow will be No. 2 on the depth chart whenever training camp begins.
“That’s fine,” Tebow said. “It doesn’t matter until you go out and start competing. That’s my attitude.”
Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.