Giants’ Mara: No Season-Ticket Payments Until Lockout Ends

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Giants president and CEO John Mara remains optimistic that there will be an NFL season in 2011. But, to keep Giants fans at ease, he said on Wednesday that season-ticket holders won’t have to make payments until the lockout is resolved.

Speaking with WFAN’s Mike Francesa, Mara told listeners that a letter will go out to season-ticket holders next week that will give them the option of paying in full by May 1, or waiting until there is a new collective bargaining agreement in place with the players.

“We’ve tried to assure people that there will be a complete season,” Mara said. “We’re only in March. We have a lot of time to work this out.”

LISTEN: John Mara talks ticket prices, lockout with Mike Francesa

For the third consecutive season, the Giants will not raise ticket prices either.

New York is coming off a 10-6 season — its first in New Meadowlands Stadium — in which it lost out on the NFC playoffs by way of a tiebreaker.

Mara, not surprisingly, expressed his disappointment in the work stoppage, which went into effect last week.

“We have never claimed that teams are not making money. We’re just not making as much of it,” he said. “We need to recalculate this deal a little bit. And that was our message to them.”

Mara was adamant about profitability among the owners, as well.

“Record money has been made,” he said, “but not record profits.”

The Giants are among the teams with the most loyal fan bases in the league. However, the team did take a public relations hit when they required personal seat licenses to be bought prior to the opening of the new stadium last year.

When asked about the two sides and where they stand now, Mara again was optimistic.

“I don’t think,” he said, “it’s all that far (apart).”

Did the Giants just make up for their pre-lockout, PSL-pushing faux pa? Let us know in the comments below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. American says:

millionaires on strike acting like they have been servants …………. greedy players – if you want more money, then go buy your on team and take the risks from the greedy primadonas and local politicians/thugs/bankers

greedy players …… millionaires wanting more and more and more

if you like what the unions have done for detroit, then you will love what the unions want to DO TO America

2. Brian says:

Not asking for the ticket money until the lockout is over is just a ridiculous attempt to deter from the real issue (and probably to tweak the Jets) and that is the lockout itself. Commenter Greg is right. The fans are the last thing the owners/players are concerned with because they know the fans will be back. We love the game. People who say that they are done with football forever will be back when the games start. Once the lockout ends, I have to pay the Giants the full price immediately, while the Jets are allowing their fans to pay over a 6 month period. Big deal. Have you seen interest rates lately? END THIS LOCKOUT. That’s the issue.

3. GREG says:

LETS FACE THE FACTS. THE GIANTS NOR THE NFL CARE ABOUT THE AVERAGE FANS OF FOOTBALL. ALL THEY WANT IS TO MAKE AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT CONSIDERING THE FANS, ECONOMY OR HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE UNEMPLOYED IN NEW YORK. IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE BOTTOM DOLLAR

4. Frank M. says:

The Giants and their owners are A Professional Organization. Of course I have already received my New York Jets invoice with at least half due by April 1. So my money will be gaining interest and be placed in the hands of the New York Jets. Also, I am un “upper bowl” fan since I am not rich BUT I fully appreciate all of the “disturbing me during the day” calls trying to “upgrade” my seats to a PSL cost. Meanwhile I have been a season ticket holder since 1980 and I am still stuck near the endzone.

5. bessygo says:

It’s hard to watch a stand up guy argue a position for outrageous unadulterated levels of creed second only to the wall street bunch. A firemen or cop wanting to take his son to game has been eliminated years ago. Cater to your fat cats see where it got you. Your dad must be rolling over in his grave.

6. bessygo says:

John I have the utmost respect for you and your organization the New York Giants but the owners and the players should be ashamed of themselves. We live in a world of massive disparity ,earthquakes,tsunami’s ,10 % unemployment ,and all you here from not only football but baseball to is how much $ the owners make. You guys cannot come to terms on splitting 9 Billion dollars shame on you all. Refusal to open the books to accountants in the due process bargaining stages for review to the players union.I stopped going to sporting events a decade ago and I’m about your age.Now it’s to the point I can’t watch anymore. It’s creed ,creed ,creed. Shame on you all.

Comments are closed.