Hoodie-Wearing Gang Of Teens Sought In Savage Anti-Gay Attack

Victim Has Broken Jaw, Eye Sockets And Plates Inserted In Head

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Brooklyn man was brutally beaten by a group of teenagers last month in what has been deemed a hate crime.

Barie Shortell, 29, was walking down North Fourth Street in Williamsburg at around 10 p.m. on Feb. 22 when a group of teens started taunting him, according to The Brooklyn Paper.

Shortell told The Paper the teens started to mock him and began yelling anti-gay slurs so he decided to cross to Wyeth Avenue to be on the safe side.

That is when the hoodie-wearing gang of teens shoved him against a wall and started attacking him. Although he was not robbed, he suffered a fractured jaw, broken nose and eye sockets.

“I feel pretty confident they perceived me as a gay man and attacked me, but I can’t understand why they did what they did. I looked horrible. Blood was everywhere,” Shortell told The Paper.

He also said he has no recollection of the attack.

Shortell required 10 hours of surgery to rewire his jaw and have three metal plates put in his head. One surgeon is said to have compared the force of impact to that of a car accident.

Shortell’s medical bills are estimated to exceed $100,000. He has no health insurance so his friends are hosting a fundraiser to help offset the costs of his hospital bills and physical therapy.

The fundraiser, “Gay Bash: A Benefit For Barie Shortell,” will take place next Wednesday, March 23 at 7 p.m.at Blackout bar in Greenpoint. Check out this Facebook page for more information.

So far no arrests have been made. If you have any information that could help solve this crime please contact the NYPD Hate Crime Task Force at 646-610-5267.

Disgusted by this? Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. The Truth says:

The funny thing is everyone thinks the Klan was crazy- The FACT is, everything they were worried about and ranted and raved about in the 60’s would happen- guess what- it happened.- segregation just doesn’t work- Ab Lincoln begged the blacks to repatriate back to Africa when they were freed- they should have paid them to leave or shipped them back- society is paying the price now.

2. BrianD says:

I’ve lived in that neighborhood for years. Never have I ever seen young white suburbanites from New Jersey in this neighborhood.

3. Heartbroken Mother says:

How sad our society has become….I hardly recognize it any more. With all the natural disasters and unsettling in the middle east, Killings on the border over drugs….and people beating innocent people up to where they are breaking jaw bones and eye sockets, etc.for either being, gay, black, fat, skinny, or whatever the attackers are just not liking that day. It breaks my heart to see the anger and hatred acted out on fellow human beings. These are dangerous and difficult times and we should all be pulling together and helping each other…not making lives worse. I pray to God every night that these hate crimes or whatever you want to call them stop. Be kind and help one another…its really that simple.

4. S. Edgar says:

I doubt very much that the perpetrators were black. I used to live a few blocks from the scene, where the locals were predominantly Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, with an admixture of artists and other white “gentrifiers” (there is a solidly Hasidic neighborhood a few blocks to the south and a high concentration of Poles in the other direction). I would venture a guess that the perpetrators were young white suburbanites from New Jersey. They have been known for years to roam similar neighborhoods in Greenwich Village in search of similar “sport”.

1. KingLion says:

Oh S. Edgar, so embroiled in your fanatical beliefs about supposed white hatred. I think we will have to wait and see. But time has shown that the words ‘youths’, ‘teens’, and ‘students’ are used by liberals just like yourself to avoid describing the race when the race is black or brown. But I am sure you will have an excuse for the coloreds (poverty, society, ambient racism, etc…) but non for the attackers if they are white.

1. S. Edgar says:

You couldn’t be more wrong. I’ve lived in two of the most dangerous neighborhoods in New York, and I’d be the first to tell you that most of those living in squalor in this land of unparalleled opportunity do so because they choose to live squalid lives. As for the roving white “gay bashing” gangs, I used to room with a white former recreational gay basher (from Staten Island in this case). I know what I’m talking about. The world is a complex place, and you shouldn’t let your understandable bitterness limit your perspective.

2. felix says:

there is no “brown race”…thats just a slur you inbreed rednecks use to describe everything you are afraid of

2. Reality says:

S. Edgar,

I would venture to guess that the perps were young blacks from da projects lookin’ to pick off some beardos.

1. S. Edgar says:

Considering that the victim wasn’t robbed, that seems rather unlikely. Not to mention that there are no black “projects” in that area.

2. lola says:

the EXACT same thing happened to my boyfriend. He was NOT robbed, just attacked and beaten by a group of area teens who shouted gay slurs. And not that it matters, but he isnt gay, it was just an assumption they made based on his appearance I assume. They punched him in the back of the head, maced him, then began kicking and beating him while he lay on the ground in a pool of his own blood.

And yes, there are “projects” in the area, again, not that it matters but just clarifying.

5. Tony says:

Chris, is that what you do when you you’re mouth hurts???

6. KingLion says:

That’s not cold. That’s kelvin.

7. djones says:

“….but I can’t understand why they did what they did. I looked horrible.” He gets beaten to a pulp and one of his main concerns is that he looked horrible?

1. Barie's Mom says:

No. One of his main concerns was NOT what he looked like in the sense of “attractiveness”.. First off, He can’t understand. I can’t understand the small mindedness of some people. They are just ignorant cowards. Secondly, what he meant was that he looked horrible in the sense that almost every bone in his face was broken, and he was gushing blood everywhere, and they ran off like little school girls and left him to die, because a girl came down the street and scared them off. Cowards were afraid of gettin caught. ! I hope this clears up your misconception!!!!

8. KingLion says:

WHERE IS THE DESCRIPTION OF THE ATTACKERS?!? If he can describe what happened before the attacks he saw the attackers! No description = n words. All of the media has signed on to help blacks and browns get away with killing and murdering whites by giving no racial description.

As for this being a hate crime, blacks always call white people f*ggots when they are about to attack. This guy just happened to be gay.

1. felix says:

right, cause white people never use the word f*ggot…youre a complete idiot

9. straz says:

Or 8: the Amish. You’re a collosal ignoramous, pal. Simply collosal. LOL!!

10. Regulas says:

Probably not but I bet you are an liberal idiot.

11. R. Ryder says:

You are a stupid idiot!!! Sure, this was a terrible crime and my prayers go out to this guy also but pressing the “auto-assume” button like that and using this event as a sounding board to fire off at the conservative party makes you look and sound pretty damn immature!!
    Oh, and by the way…I’m a hetrosexual conservative who wants equality for ALL!!! And if you dont like it then sue me, idiot!

12. Obama gonna give me free cash says:

Why does he owe $100,000? I thought ObamaCare would take care of that?

13. ChopChop24 says:

Your comment shows you are just as mentally unstable as those who attacked this poor fellow. Do you really believe that street thugs have anything to do with the ‘conservative’ spots on your list? The attackers’ parents more than likely vote Democratic, if you’re trying to make this a political issue…

14. zef says:

Damn shame, and now we are starting to see the bitter fruit of the poisoned political climate in the US, and I’m sure this is only the beginning, but hopefully sooner or later the punks will be caught and then have to do time, and then each and every one of them will get to experience a burning sensation in their hinter regions as they are gang raped at Ryker’s, let the punishment fit the crime.

15. Rocketman says:

Once these young punks are caught, they should be sent to San Francisco, locked in a cage, and set in the middle of Castro Street. Oh, and free rotten veggies should be available to all passersby to sling at the reprobates.

~(Ä)~

16. No violence anytime says:

1-7. No.
    Maybe it was one of your relatives. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you shouldn’t be the one praying for yourself.

17. Fred B says:

OK, say afro-american or slight shade of number 2 boyz
    beat up – defense less man
    who happen to display
    bear like qualities.

if they can get and end up in jail
    they will become maricone

18. Neil says:

Listen up. This crime is not nearly as brutal as the wichita horror or the Mary stackowitz murder. Hate crime legislation is not about the crime. It’s about controlling your opinions. Fight to overturn these laws and there selective enforcement.

1. Face It says:

You nailed it, but don’t say this in Canada. You will be arrested for offending the PC Nazi’s – a protected group soon coming to the U.S. courtesy of the political left.

2. Rich Murray says:

This is an act of terrorism perpetrated against the entire LGBT community. These terrorists have every right to their thoughts. They’re just not allowed to use those thoughts to kill people like me. That’s terrorism. It affects more than just this particular victim: hate crime legislation is about protecting the community from people like this and the inevitable copycat actions that take place so frequently.

PS – you lost this argument a generation ago. Time to move on.

1. Bobweigh says:

“you lost this argument a generation ago. Time to move on.”

Haha, you wish.

2. Had enough says:

They aren’t terrorists. Sorry Rich, the argument hasn’t been lost. What about the hate crimes that are the other way around. They are conveniently not reported or people make up some stupid excuse. When is the gay community going to realize that the Liberals are using them just like they using minorities as a stepping stone to further themselves along. Its actually sort of sad to watch.

3. benth164 says:

This action by those punks is exactly why, “right to carry” laws should be relaxed to allow “Normal” citizens to carry heat to protect themselves. If that man had had a gun, we would be short a few worthless punks, which would also have given a epifany to the others, that maybe crime doesn’t pay.

4. straz says:

Think this is bad, Richy? Wait’ll Sharia Law arrives here in NO small part because of GLBS *political* support of the very people who’ll ALLOW it based on *enlightenment*. You ain’t seen nothin’ yet, bucko. LOL

19. Real American says:

and not to forget the liberals that shot up the repubs offices this week ………….. even as your leader – obama – told you to tone down your LIBERAL VITRIOL AND HATE toward America

20. Dude says:

Attackers wearing hoodies? More than likely, they were Black. And this victim is quick to identify as “gay” so I question what that motive is by the victim especially since he also says he can’t remember the attack (yet he is quickly assuming it’s because the attackers ‘thought he was gay’).

I think more than likely he was attacked because the gang who attacked him are savages without any parental guidance or authority in their lives. And that they are Black and victim is White. Whether he’s “gay” or not, who can say since even the victim seems unsure about that.

1. Vince T.Southeast USA says:

Listen up people please! I was raised there after being born in the beautiful beaches of Gulf Shores Ala. People today after having been gone from the over 35 years are amazed at my knowledge of the north hard boys etc. I tell them when I was a kid, teenager, Jr. College kid( I did graduate) it was the same then as now! It simply was not reported. The media picks and chooses when to put out the truth. Now as then we kids then never,never, walked alone where this guy was. What did he expect? The tooth fairy??? Come on, never go out at night alone or out numbered in the dark.The streets are like Gotham city in Batman cartoons. They attack in packs and unless you have have back up and numerous guns which are registered legally you LOSE!
      It is your life! A saying over 6,000 years old states- Stupid is stupid does and there is no cure for stupid! Do what I did, my parents did not care if I trolled the streets, what time I came in, atc. So I left and went to a genuine warmer friendlier climate and better people. But I still saty away from public criminal prone places so I do not meet up with a drug head with nothing to do except bash up someone like thiis person. Take my advice! GET OUT! Join the military, You would love the Coast Guard. No travel much and always home90% of the time. All of you just do it and go! I did and I did well!!!

21. Jack Kennedy says:

kind of like the murdering liberals – loughner, pope, drake, etc

22. Dude says:

to: JMWinPR

What is pitiful is that you do not recognize your own hatefulness. While these “gay hate crimes” are horrible, there are more than enough “hate crimes by gays” that go both unreported and unremedied, such as your wretched remarks.

23. Dude says:

24. Alamosq says:

I can say yes to the first 4 and I am gay. Those assumptions are just that, assumptions.

1. Matt Braynard says:

I *am* 1,2,3,4, and 7. But I am also making a contribution to the poor guy’s recovery.

Maybe you should come out of your typical liberal narrow hole and have broader world-view.

2. H. West says:

Are you really that dense…honestly? Are you really that pathetically dense???

25. moutainhiker says:

If this was a hate crime these teen age kids should get life maybe than the rest of these teen age gangs in the united states will think twice before they commit crimes

1. Alamosq says:

A Hate Crime? Are you serious? How could an attack like this not be motivated by hate? What if this had nothing to do with sexuality or race? The penalty should be the same.

1. bobby says:

@ALMON ,,,Exactly !!!,These Punks should get the Max.They must be black ,because If they were white it would have been front page news all month .If these skid PUNKS were White they all would have been arrested by now ……WHAT A SHAME ,……

2. Tom W. says:

Agreed. All crimes are hate crimes.

2. Alamosq says:

I don’t really understand why it matters if it is a hate crime. I don’t really understandthat idea because if he was not gay, it should not make it any less of a crime.. Anyway, I agree, they should never walk the streets again. Animals like this should be dealt with harshly.

26. Bill Hicks says:

“The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one.” -Bill Hicks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7criyE09uy0

1. Clinton Bill says:

bill – good luck living in obama’s America with all of his sycophants’ vitriol and hate ………. just like that the kid in the hospital had to endure

27. DrPhill says:

Well, I’ve read numerous comments and no one seems to want to state the obvious. This man was attacked because he is white. DUH!

1. Jack Kennedy says:

it has been stated numerous times and anyone with a lick of sense and honesty knows that ………… this is just another case of BLACK BEATING WHITE hate crime

28. Bill Smith says:

You New Yorkers, stuck in your own world, no new outside ideas will penetrate. Everywhere else in the country, private citizens are armed. You do not understand that. The Hoodies would not all have walked away from this if they confronted an armed man or woman. And his lawyer bills would be much cheaper than his medical bills. Plus he would not be maimed for life.

29. Mr. Turner says:

The corner of N. 4th and Wythe Ave. looks pretty bleak on Google street view. I’m certainly not justifying the attack, but I’m not sure I’d have been walking down there at 10pm.

1. barie's mom says:

You have to get home somehow!

30. Isaac says:

I’m not disgusted in the slightest. This is a perfect example of some members of a society strongly disapproving of a an individuals behavior and responding in their own way.

I wouldn’t respond in the same fashion as the hoodlums, I’d just not serve him if he came into my establishment.

1. Bob says:

What behavior? What the hell are you talking about? The guy could be a swishy virgin. How do you care about it?

2. Seena says:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT ISAAC. I’D BEAT YOUR ASS AND SPIT ON YOU!

1. Real Rick says:

Wow Seena, fixating on the ass? Shows what you’re fantasying about.

2. Jack Kennedy says:

oh look, more LIBERAL VITRIOL AND HATE ………… and after your leader told you to tone it doooowwwnnnn.

3. Cliff says:

So you’re saying you wouldn’t serve a man simply because he may be gay? Do share where your establishment is so everyone can make sure and steer clear.

4. Wolf says:

You’re one scarey dude Isaac.

5. Alamosq says:

Is it acceptable for someone to do this to one of your children or spouse if their behavior is not to my liking?

6. Swish E. Virgin says:

Oddly enough, Isaac sells sequined speedos for men.

7. Barie's mom says:

What is your establishment? I’m sure alot of us would like to know so we make sure we NEVER step foot in there. Please do tell!!!!

8. Barie's mom says:

Please do tell what and where your “establishment” is. I’m sure there are many of out here who would make sure they never stepped foot in you “establishment” Please do tell, I’d like to spread the word!!!!!!!

31. dudley says:

Sorry for typo…cell phone typing, I`m not good at!

32. dudley says:

Wow! What comments! NYC’S melting pot is boiling over! As France, Britain & Germany are now saying, “multiculturism isn’t working.” Yes it’s true!

1. Bob says:

When did it ever work? Ever hear of White Flight? They got out as fast as they could. Now their white children are back, and that’s great, but these hipsters and yuppies need to be tough enough to deal with the “elements”. They’re not. If anything, they’re anti-gun liberal sissies. Not strong enough to retake the land.

1. Clinton Bill says:

my kids learned reeaaal fast and I did not have to warn them or anything ………… just made sure that they saw the real news and were always armed

both quit great jobs to get away form the diversity zoo and got back to the real America

33. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

“Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    – Plato ——— http://911essentials.com

34. Bob says:

So when it inevitably turns out the thugs were black & Hispanic, will all you trolls crying “racism” come back and apologize?

1. Ooba Dooba says:

If a violent crime is committed in the US, there is a >75% chance it was perpetrated by a brown or black man.

2. Alamosq says:

They will not.

35. Glenn says:

Who can we blame your idocy on?

36. Rob says:

If the animals that did this are found, they should be put to sleep.

37. Lingam says:

“in hoodies” = code for “a buncha black guys.”

1. chav says:

maybe it does, so what

2. anti-Lingam says:

no, the teenagers in North Williamsburg are mostly not black. It’s mostly Italian and Polish and yes, teenagers of every ethnicity wears hoodies.

1. Zero says:

You are joking right? Where do you live. I lived on 3rd Street, a block away. The neiighborhood was almost all Puerto Rican and Jamacian. The only white people within a mile were the Hasidic Jews on the other side of Broadway, but even they have been leaving for years.

2. Alamosq says:

Who ever did it, should be swinging from a tree. These people are animals.

38. Ralph says:

Hey Erik, is that how you found this story, by linking to Drudge?

39. Pouncekitty says:

The Democrat Party Plantation that has enslaved Black Americans is responsible for this. They keep telling us we’re weak and can’t get along by ourselves. They dope us with welfare and food stamps. No wonder teenage Black Americans are hopeless. Thanks to the Democrat Party and the weakling leftists who support these genocidal policies that have crippled Black Americans!

1. chav says:

so get a fucin’ job and stop complaining

1. Alamosq says:

nice response. This guy is telling it like it is. Maybe he has a job and a succesful life.

2. Real Rick says:

Pouncekitty, you ROCK!!!

40. richard says:

gee no description

1. deputy says:

that’s what happens when someone beats the memory out of you

41. Keesha Lenard says:

THIS IS AN AWFUL ACT ON A HUMAN BEING REGARDLESS OF SEXUAL PREFERENCE NO ONE HAS THE RIGHT TO HARM ANOTHER HUMAN BEING THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE AND DEAD WRONG

1. Emm says:

So true. If someone gets the stuffing beaten out of him or her, the person or people responsible should rot in jail.
      Sexuality shouldn’t be a factor for punishment. A victim is a victim. People that want to hurt people shouldn’t be part of society.

42. artemis133 says:

Disgusting. Get well soon, Barie.

43. Rick says:

very funny thom luk

We need to find a place for these teens to hang out. For a repercussion, I propose that they should serve the beers at the Hangout to raise money until they make $100,000. I do not think that they would enjoy hanging out with this guys buddies and would be much more painful than any other punishment.

44. Slash says:

“Hood-wearing blick kids beat up an unarmed white man.”

You’ll never see that headline, no matter how true. If it were white kids, there would be mugshots. No mugshots. Why does the media cover for these degnerates???

Ask me why I never leave the house unarmed. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

1. Ken R says:

They haven’t caught the cowards yet. The victim has no memory of the attack. So far, the only ones who know the race of the cowards who attacked him are the cowards who attacked him.

1. stanley says:

Well, logic and deduction only lead to two choices, and we all know what they are!!!

2. Anti-Slash says:

the kids probably weren’t “blick”. I don’t know how familiar you are with North Williamsburg, but I live here. Most of the local teenagers are Italian and Hispanic.

3. lakelivin11 says:

It’s really a shame that the youths are called HOODIE WEARING instead of black or brown.It the criminals were white, their description would be white and the NAACP would be screaming for justice. I wish you in the main stream media would show the equality in reporting, that you seam to require of the rest of us.

45. captaintrps says:

Anyone see the ACLU lately?

46. Hoovdog23 says:

So how did the attackers know he was gay or is he just trying to get sympathy for the gay rights group when it was just a random attack? “perceived he was a gay man?” Why did they perceive that? Did he approach one for sex? What is really the truth?

1. Go figure says:

That makes a lot of sense!

“he has no recollection of the attack”

BUT

“I feel pretty confident they perceived me as a gay man”

1. Go figure2 says:

he has no recollection of the ATTACK ITSELF..not the moments before it i.e. the slurs the men were saying to him about being a gay male. he obviously knows he was attacked after the slurs were made, put two and two together it makes four.

2. Barie's mom says:

The paper does edit, and sometimes the context can get distorted. Barie does NOT have recollection of how many times his head was slammed into the cement. That makes sense, right? He does have recollection of the comments they said before he was jumped, from BEHIND, mind you. !!!! Clear that up for you?????

47. Go figure says:

Gee what group most wears hoodies?

1. Larry T says:

That’s politically correct liberal jargon for “black youths.”

48. HUGO says:

jd, stop covering for your friends.

49. Bushelfoote says:

One thing’s for sure: The man’s economics are impeccable….he put the tax code right side up again,Paid down the nat’l debt, and had this country rockin’!!! Then we all went stupid and elected the next guy who presided over the destruction of ALL the gains made during Clinton’s presidency…..It IS the economy,STUPIDS……WHY!!! WHY!! WHY!! couldn’t it stay like it was??? Vote Democrat in 2012!!!!

1. jon thompson says:

If you think the Dems are the answer you are confused. You have one in the Whitehouse now or did you just come out of your coma ?

2. Rob says:

I’m not sure how you got on discussing Bush, but here are the facts. Clinton was doing a horrible job as president the first few years, so the public in 1994 elected a Republican House and Senate. With the Republican Congress taxes were lowered, the economy picked up, unemployment dropped to 6% and by the end of Clinton’s terms in office, the Republicans had reformed welfare and balanced the budget. When Bush was elected he got blind sided nine months after beginning his term when Terrorists attacked the Trade Center and Pentagon. Because of having to respond to this Bush had to borrow too much money and increased the deficit to $168 Billion his first year. Despite the shock to the economy Bush was still able to lower taxes and spur growth. Unemployment dropped to 4.5%, interest rates dropped to their lowest in history. The economy rocked. Although the deficit got as high as $300 Billion, he ended up getting it back down to $161 Billion when he left office. The economy was doing real well until 1998 when the Democrats took over Congress because of the lies being told by the media about Bush. After two years of Democrats controlling the Congress unemployment had increased to 6.5-7.0%. So Bush left office with a $161 Billion dollar deficit, growth 3.5%, 0% inflation. Obama was elected and in 2001 Democrats controlled the presidency and BOTH Houses of Congress. Democrats had total control to do anything they wanted. Unfortunately they did and Obama borrowed record amounts of money and turned an average recession into a full blown depression. After 2 years of Complete Democrat Control unemployment was 10%, the deficit had ballooned to $3.7 Trillion Dollars, core inflation was 1.5%, gasoline $4.00 per gallon, growth 0% of GDP. So there it is the TRUTH all lined out for anyone to understand. Only a fool would ever vote for a Democrat again. When they had total control they destroyed our country in two years. Democrats will never have the right to blame Bush for anything, because Obama has proven democrats are too stupid to run a country.

50. Jack Kennedy says:

it was reallygangstas beating white guy, but this story gives the brothers some cover to get off the hook

Comments are closed.