Eddy Coello Charged With Murder On Day Of Slain Wife’s Funeral

NEW YORK (CBS NewYork/AP) — On the same day his murdered wife was laid to rest, former NYPD Officer Eddy Coello was arrested on a second-degree murder charge.

Coello was stoic Tuesday night as he walked through a gauntlet of cameras and profanities outside the 45th Precinct, where he was booked.  He is expected to be arraigned on Wednesday at Bronx Criminal Court. His attorney, Renee Hill, said he maintains his innocence.

1010 WINS’ Al Jones reports from the 45th Precinct, where Coello was booked Tuesday night

“Maybe he wasn’t as cooperative with them as they wanted him to be, but he was cooperative with them.  He went in, they questioned him extensively in the beginning,” Hill told CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman. She added that the case was “not going to be tried in the media.”

Earlier Tuesday, mourners bid a final farewell to Tina Adovasio, the Bronx nurse and mother of four whose body was found last week in Westchester.

Friends and family packed the St. John the Evangelist Church in Mahopac during the 9:45 a.m. funeral Mass.

Adovasio, 40, disappeared from her home in Throgs Neck on March 11. Her body was discovered the following Wednesday by a person riding an ATV in a wooded near the Taconic Parkway in Yorktown Heights.

The NYPD said Adovasio was suffocated. She also suffered blunt trauma to the head and chest.

Investigators said Coello reported his wife’s disappearance to the police, and turned himself in at the precinct last Thursday. He was not charged at the time and was released.

“He was asked if he would give a DNA sample. He was asked if he would look at certain pictures. He refused,” NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Police suspect Coello strangled his wife in their apartment and then carried her body out in a large duffel bag before dumping her in Yorktown Heights. Coello left the NYPD in 2000 during a domestic violence investigation.

“My heart goes out to the children obviously. How they’re going to live their life? How’s this going to affect them going forward? So I mean it’s a tragic thing,” neighbor Al Miranda told CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey.

Is enough done to protect spouses from domestic violence? Leave a comment below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

More from Al Jones
Comments

1. protect yourselves says:

if a man were to lift a hand to me, i’d tell him “say hello to my little friend” and that would be the last time he ever laid a hand on anyone.

2. Karma is a hell of a thing says:

he was a arrested repeatedly for abusing her. why should she leave when the system says its ok for him to keep beating her? the system failed her, this is not her fault.

3. Jo Ann says:

Hey J…no need for insults…just your comments infer how a low soul u really are…He was arrested……………GET A LIFE….ur insulting

4. PIKE BISHOP JR. says:

and you wonder why women ever marry animals like him..it sure wasn’t his brain cells or maybe a big stiff..but women are wise to that one eyed monster..and she had 4 off spring from this psychopath?? what was she thinking?

1. jackie says:

i believe i read that she only had one child from this ass, she was married before.

5. Liz says:

She’s dead, he’s gulity, and now there are 4 innocent children without parents. It’s a shame, just a shame! The biggest shame of all is that she stayed with this creep!! WAKE UP WOMEN —when the signs are there LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Moral Truth says:

Liz you are absolutely 100 percent right and thats the moral truth

6. Derrick Wilson says:

What ever happened to both parties in a marriage or relationship that soured just being adult enough to go their own separate ways? If it doesn’t work out, find someone else! Someone once told me that the best revenge is success….not homicide! I’ve always believed that any man who uses verbal and psychological abuse or violence to try and control the woman in his life is a extremely weak individual with low self-esteem. What makes this tragic story even more disturbing is the fact that their are now four orphans without their mother and, possibly, father.

7. Pamela Williams says:

@jme-first the question was
    Is enough done to protect spouses from domestic violence? and the answer is no, second who are you to make that comment about women, men are victims of abuse by women, it goes both ways. second, when its a cop’s spouse involved they tend to stick together when a abuse report is made against their fellow officers, so no their needs to be more done about this situation before we have more dead husbands and wives out there on the streets.

1. John says:

This human garbage was not a cop anymore. I don’t believe there would be a cop stupid enough out therebin this day and age to cover for a cop who is abusing a spouse. He was fired for Domestic violence in 2000. So this shows no one was covering andthing then. I hope he fries for his crime.

8. jme says:

will women ever learn

1. Dianne says:

LEARN WHAT

9. Jo Ann says:

HEY j? GET A LIFE!!! We are not discussing Politics here; we are discussing a womans life……………..

1. J says:

Read and think about what I said you low functioning soul.

10. J says:

Just because he refused DNA and picture testing/looking doesn’t mean anything; maybe they were having rough sex you morons and maybe the picture was of real significance and brought back memories of some sort. Hello, morons; don’t we listen to music that makes us cry after a break up. Do, I think he’s guilty? Yup! But still, we are inching our way to becoming a communist country, but still not there yet-people still have watered down rights in our democracy that is being exported to the middle east!

11. sean says:

The husband will be arrested by the end of the week. NYPD and District Attorney”s office are making sure their investigation is complete.

12. Liz says:

Why do people keep saying that the person who is a “person of interest” in this case, her husband, is being protected by the police because he was once a police officer? Is their any evidence of that? If I have read correctly since the onset of this story and what has been reported, it seems the police are trying to be as diligent and effective as possible to warrant a solid case against this individual. People need to stop perpetrating assumptions and let the investigators and ADA do their jobs so that this woman and many others like her before can get justice. @ Willy yes he can refuse to give a DNA sample if he is not being charged. It requires a warrant just as the police cannot go and search your property without a warrant unless he was caught in he middle of committing a crime which the law would allow them to seize. I hope and pray her kids can some day be at peace with this huge loss in such a horrific way. I pray that they always stay and support each other as I am sure their mother would have wanted. RIP Tina.

13. LORI says:

Domestic violence is a crime which doesn’t get enough attention nor does it have strict enough punishment. It gets attention only when a tragedy like this happens, then just a few days later, is usually forgotten about. Not by the victims family & friends, especially the children left behind. Every time I hear about another life gone too soon by the hand of someone who was supposed to love, honor and protect them, it really hits home. Tina Adovasio is in my prayers, as are her children and family.I wish I could reach out to each one of them personally and let them know how truly sorry I am for their loss. My heart breaks for them. I WILL NEVER FORGET.

14. brooklyn4ever says:

Willy, of course it is an “option” because no matter what, the boys in blue always protect their own whether they are still on the job or not. If it was John Q. Public, there would be no “option” and he’d be in the slammer right about now.

15. HARLEM GOING H.A.M. says:

ALL MEN THAT ARE WOMEN BEATERS SHOULD BE SHOT. I NEVER COULD UNDERSTAND HOW A MAN CAN LAY HANDS ON A WOMAN. AS A MAN, AND A FATHER, I COULD NEVER PUT MY HANDS ON THE MOTHER OF MY CHILDREN. WOMAN BEATERS ARE COWARDS, AND THEY DON’T MESS WITH MEN;BECAUSE, A MAN WOULD GIVE HIM A REAL FIGHT. LET US PRAY FOR THOSE BABIES. MAY GOD PROTECT THIOSE CHILDREN FROM THEIR FATHER.

16. Jo Ann says:

what a shame; yes; he’s guilty as sin b/c if he weren’t he would have given the DNA and looked at the pics. I feel badly for her children NOT HIM; he’s guilty

17. P.E.R says:

He can actually refuse to give DNA and look at some pictures that could help either clear him or solve the murder? What to do next to prove his guilt or innocence?

18. em says:

There’s a really good book they recommend victims of domestic violence to read. It’s called Next time, she’ll be dead. The system really doesn’t do much until it’s too late. Took me years to get a restraining order. But remember, it’s just a piece of paper and my ex told me it would never keep him away. I rarely go out alone and am constantly aware of my surroundings.

1. P.E.R says:

I am sorry you find yourself in such a situation. I connot begin to imagine the terror, livivng with fear all the time and not knowing when or where he’ll pop out from. Absolutely try taking control over that fear, cause that’s what he’s using against you and if you cant’ do that i’ll have to say carry a gun or knife. Let him get close enough to hurt you and then get at him. End of your worries once and for all. You my end up in jail, but you’ll get out eventually. I know ,I know, crazy idea, but we-e-e-ll just a thought. Good luck and take care of yourself.

2. HARLEM GOING H.A.M. says:

IF I WAS YOU, I APPLY FOR A PISTOL PERMIT.

3. LORI says:

You are right about the order of protection-it is useless. You are 100 o/o correct in being aware and in tune with your surroundings. Be strong and stay that way. You are not alone.

19. EILEEN COLAGRANDE says:

THE POLICE HANDS ARE TIED .THEY CANNOT HELP UNLESS THE PERSON INVOLVED IS ATTACHED AND BY THAT TIME ITS TO LATE. EVEN WITH AN ORDER OF PROTECTION THE PERSON STILL IGNORS THE ORDER.MOST WOMEN AR UNABLE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES OR THEIR CHILDREN.WHAT IS THE ANSWER I DON’T KNOW.

20. Laura Johnson says:

If he’s not guilty, then what is there to lose by giving DNA and looking through some pictures? If you have nothing to hide, then it should not be a problem.

21. TOOKIE says:

I WISH IT WERE THAT EASY TO FIND A SOLUTION- BY THE TIME THE POLICE WOULD RESPOND TO AN INCIDENT THE PERSON WOULD PROBABLY BE DEAD. MY EX-HUSBAND CAME THROUGH THE FIRE ESCAPE ON THE 6TH FLOOR. I DON’T SEE ANY SOLUTIONS. IT TAKES 30 SECONDS TO KILL SOMEONE.

22. Willy says:

He refused to give DNA and look at pictures? I didn’t know he had that option…

1. MCattCald says:

What a very sad story. Especially for the kids. I think if someone decides you are not going to live on this earth and not be in a “relationship” with them it’s going to be extremely difficult to change that outcome w/o killing them 1st.

Comments are closed.