NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — A woman injured in the Bronx bus crash that killed 15 people earlier this month has filed a $20 million lawsuit against driver Ophadell Williams and operator World Wide Travel.
Andrew Finkelstein, the attorney for 74-year-old Yuke Cho Lo, told 1010 WINS his client was “seeking significant damages” for her ordeal. Lo suffered “a very significant head injury” resulting from the crash and has undergone several surgeries.
The lawsuit claims the bus company did not hire a qualified driver and that Williams was responsible for the devastation.
“We’ve made allegations that the bus driver was driving improperly and due to his negligence he fell asleep and caused the crash,” Fickelstein said.
Williams spoke out earlier this week and told reporters he was “hurt about the whole situation.”
Investigators have said Williams’ license was suspended over infractions he received under the alias, “Eric Williams.” He remains at the center of a state investigation into what went wrong during the tragic crash.
In the weeks since the accident, state investigators have conducted major crackdowns on various violations and safety concerns related to tour buses.
On Saturday a sting operation at a single Manhattan stop resulted in 14 tour buses being ordered off the road because of “major issues.”