Westport 8th Grader Fights Bullies With YouTube Video

WESTPORT, Conn. (CBSNewYork) — A Westport Junior High School student has posted a YouTube video expressing her feelings about bullies.

WCBS 880’s Paul Murnane: It’s Stirring Conversation

The 13-year-old girl identifies herself as Alye in the video. She remains silent, holding up signs to express her feelings. The message has come through loud and clear.

The signs read “I am bullied. Not a day has gone by without one of these words.” She then holds up a sign with a number of derogatory terms written on it, the mildest of which are “freak,” “ugly” and “weird.”

“Will high school get worse? HELP,” read additional signs in the sequence.

One says “Think before you say things.”

(CONTAINS SOME STRONG LANGUAGE)

The video is called “Words are worse than Sticks and Stones” and has been viewed over 12,000 times as of Tuesday morning.

Her school superintendent said efforts were being made to help stop the problem of bullying.

“We have specialty programs in place to try to get kids to understand how important it is to deal on a pleasant level with others. Not to be mean, not to be nasty, not to make others’ lives miserable,” Elliott Landon told CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis.

The girl’s mother tells local news sites that she learned of the video only after it was posted.

One middle school parent told WCBS 880 reporter Paul Murnane that her daughter feels bad about Alye being bullied and wants her to feel welcome at school. “In the video, the girl said she had only three or four friends, and my daughter said, ‘If you have three or four good friends that you really care about, you’re doing pretty well in life. Who wants a hundred friends that don’t even care?'”

A seventh grader said this video is changing the conversation.

“A lot of people think different of the girl now and they try to stay more, like, more cautious,” the boy said. “Some people have different, like, lifestyles and different backgrounds.”

The girl’s mother said the parents of children doing the bullying need to get involved too.

Is enough being done to prevent bullying? What do you think about the girl’s decision to post the video? Sound off in our comments section.

More from Paul Murnane
Comments

1. Nelson says:

I used to have two bullies when I was in high school and jr. high. One day I had enough and cracked em in the jaw. The next day, they wanted to be my friends… Go figure!

2. Greg says:

Dear Alye,

As a person who has been through your position throughout middle school and high school. I just want to let you know…that things will get better…It may not seem like it right now, but things take time. Know that you are the better peron and are stronger than they for holding strong for as long as you have. Personally, I wouldn’t suggest trying to ‘fight back’ with words as it would only bring you down to their level. Try not to live ‘in the moment’. Think of the future and what it brings for you; chances are, they’ll be in a dead end while you’re miles ahead of them. So please, hang in there.

I do also believe that this bullying issue in general has gone far too long without any sort if intervention ar effort as how to solve it.

3. sick.of.bullies. says:

The bullies are the ones who deep down feel extremely insecure about themselves and they feel they have to project their insecurities onto other kids. People have to start figuring out that what they say can lead to someone’s downfall. So many people will say anything to make others feel bad and make themselves feel good. They know they can’t feel good unless they are making someone else feel bad.

4. PATTY cRANFORD says:

YOUR A BEAUTIFUL CHILD OF GOD ALYE. YOU HAVE TAKEN THE POSITIVE STEP SO SHOW AMERICA OF AN ON GOING PROBLEM THAT AFFECTS OUR YOUTH. IT ABOUT TIME THAT THE SCHOOLS AND THE BULLIERS TAKE RESPONSIBILITY BEFORE WE LOSE ANOTHER CHILD. THIS IS A CRIME AND ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. LAWS NEED TO BE CHANGED TO PROTECT YOU AND OTHERS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COURAGE… YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS KEEP YOUR HEAD HIGH.

5. heh for any bullies who come across this, your time is drawing to an end. People have stopped taking it and are fighting back. Perfect example is the Xiaxue / Peter coffin incident. Peter felt the need to be extraordinarily mean to her and he doesn’t even know her. Xiaxue (her real name is Wendy Cheng) decided to fight back and was able to humiliate Peter in the worst way possible. I know two wrongs don’t make a right, but I will say this. I seriously doubt Peter will ever bully anyone every again without giving it some serious thought. Just google Xiaxue and Peter Coffin and i am sure you can check it out on her blog.

6. Jesse says:

My first year in college and seeing stuff like this hurts, the truth is we have to fight to be who we are and suck it up, by saying something and taking a first step like this you are fighting and dealing with it. There are many out there who struggle with similar problems, I can relate, I was bullied and I had to learn how to fight back to make it mostly stop. Life may not be easy, but it is soo worth it in the long run.

7. NewRo says:

My son was being bullied in 7th and 8th grade by a group of kids. Their parents didn’t want to get involved, so his cousin (my nephew) in 10th grade went to the “leaders” house on a weekend when his parents were out and broke the kids arm and a rib with a bat. After a private conversation with the parents and an assurance that the next case of bullying would lead to an even worse outcome for their child…it stopped. Sometimes this is the only thing a bully and their parents understand.

8. NJG says:

Alye,

I am so proud of you! As hurt as your family is watching you go through this, I have no doubt they are glowing with pride watching you deal so admirably with these ignorant classmates. I wish you success and happiness. Don’t give these bullies another thought other than to learn how NOT to treat people.

9. Trishe says:

Alye, you are so strong, I am so happy you made the video and showed it to the world.

That superintendent knows what is going on in the school, pleaseeee don’t allow him to make excuses. He simply has egg in the face along with all the teachers and aduilts in that school that could make a difference in this girl’s life. The parents of the kids think that their kids are angles and that they do no wrong. In fact, many of them probably do no wrong in front of their parents…but watch out when they are with their friends. All the adults and kids shoudl be punish. I hope that the parents of Alye file an action againts the town and residents.

10. liz says:

i feel very sad for this girl because i know what shes going through my daughter is also 13 and is being bullied at school. i think these things should not be taken lightly and unfortunately at our school a boy killed himself last year over it. things just dont seem to get done about this and its too bad that a child should feel that way. my daughter doesnt want to go to school there anymore and i dont know what to do.

11. Lellipooh says:

Alye, you show an amazing strength of character that your school mates are definitely lacking. I know it is hard and I am sorry you are going through something like this. Just remember that it isn’t you, it is the morons around you that have the problems. I used to tell my children that if what they are saying isn’t true, just laugh at them. If they can’t get you to cry then they lose. THey are mean, vicous morons. You are smart and brave. You can stand tall with your head held high while they will forever be dragging their knuckles on the ground. Keep standing tall. People do care, just look at all these responses.

12. Leni says:

HOLA ALYE! como estas?

Alye, don’t blame yourself. The parents of these kids, may be the cause of their problems…being bullied themselves at home, neglect, not enough attention, etc… They are the consequences of their families actions and behaviors.
    You can turn the table around and become their Angel by praying for them because you are THAT special!! They too need help.
    Aley, you are a very smart and beautiful young Lady and that may be another reason too. However, continue being yourself, be humble and love GOD! He’s always the answer to any sorrow, pain and suffering. He will guide you and protect you. I promise! Be happy, cause you do have a beautiful smile and may God Bless….(Dios te bendiga y te cuide siempre!)

13. sk says:

your messsage was loud and clear! I am happy you took a stand to protect yourself from bullies. I was bullied as a kids for so many years. there is not a day that goes by that I don’t forget whta kids used to say to me. it is so important for kids to learn about resepcting one another. tecahers and parents should also intervene and provide suggestiosn on how to teach tolerance. To this poor girl: be proud of yourself for doing soemthing so courageous and i hope things get better you!

14. NYlovesME says:

Alye, I was bullied in junior high too. This one girl would constantly start at me, make comments and try to alienate me. My best revenge was success. I am 24 now and am working on my degree. I saw her a few months working at the grocery store at the check out line. Let’s just say that my kool aid smile told her all she needed to know about how I was laughing at her on the inside. You are a pretty young girl who obviously has a head on her shoulders. I think high school will get better for you, like it did for me. Just don’t let anyone questions who you choose to be. You’re the one who has to live your life, no one else. Thank you for being so brave and please know, you are NOT alone.

15. carmen says:

Alye I am an adult and I am being bullied. These people some kind of group of rude, mean, unhappy people call me names and things and they laugh about it
    Alye they are the ones with the problem not you. They are the ones THAT SHOULS LOOK THEMSELVES IN A MIRROR. Even my neighbor who is a Pastor’s wife called me names two weeks ago. HIPOCRITES Pastor’s wife
    BIGGEST HIPOCRITES IN THE WORLD> I call them haters. You are okay they are full of hate. Instead of analizing and concentrate in themselves they are trying to throw their hurting and innadecuacy in others.
    You are okay Alye believe me YOU ARE NOT ALONE A LOT OF PEOPLE LOVES JUST THE WAY YOU ARE> YOU ARE LOVED BY GOD AND OTHER GOIOD INTENTIONED HAPPY PEOPLE> DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO THOSE HATERS.
    They are not worth it.

16. Helola says:

When I was a kid, I was both bullied and did some bullying (the former more than the latter…but still, I feel awful that I ever hurt anyone with my words!). I was HORRIBLY insecure and (one of) my defense mechanisms was to make another feel small, so that I could feel bigger. Teasing and bullying was different back then (in the 80s), but it was still very hurtful. I hated being teased! And I hate that I did any teasing. It’s such a waste of energy and SO terribly hurtful. I am appalled that there are so many adults that turn there back on this kind of things. Adults who’s responsibility it is to guide and protect children. Eighth grade….that’s a child! And I mean that so kindly….children are wise and this young lady is wise-beyond-her-years. She is asking for HELP in a very direct way. Good for her. Now, help her! And help the others whom, if your eyes are open (teachers, parents, principals, guidance counselors….) are in need of help. And find the little brats who are responsible for bullying and bring them in with their parents and offer mandatory after-school sessions for learning about the consequences of their actions and words and require them to do community service. Nothing quite as humbling as helping someone who has it way worse than you. Unfortunately, Alye, you are growing up way too fast – having to learn things that are very painful. But you’ll have to learn them anyway. People can be wretched and horrible and cruel. It’s just the way humans are directing themselves. Sad, but true. Be the bigger person. Stay on track with your studies. Get involved in the community and do something to help another. Don’t exhaust your energy on these bullies…use it to move yourself forward and to make another’s life better because you have lived. Hang in there! One day, you will see, these bullies will mean nothing to you and you won’t even remember their names. Trust me. This time period will pass and you will be glad you made it through intact!

17. MGraceL says:

Thank you for doing this. You are spreading the message, I wish i had done this last year, when i was in the 8th grade and bullied, i wish i would have said something, but you did, you are so strong. this year, in high school it is not the case for me, i am finding life to be easier. you are so brave.

18. Bobbilyn says:

Alye, you are a beautiful young lady and whether you have 1 great friend or 100 you have a special person beside you. I know kids can mean and cruel, my son has had to deal with being bullied and I get alot of flack for standing up to the kids and their parents for it but we as adults need to teach our children this is unacceptable. It is OUR responsibility to teach our children that words and actions have consequences, but the schools have to take responsibility too instead of turning the other cheek.. This video made me cry as my heart broke knowing that you are hurting this much. Talk about it and make everyone aware of these cruel , uneducated children doing and saying these mean things… God speed and know you are loved…

19. WHITBOYFTW says:

Long Island is a sewer since the 80s.The kids think the world owes them because of what there parents teach them at home.

SUCKERS GO PAY YU TAXES FOR SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS THAT COULD NOT RUN A MCDONALDS

1. mie says:

Um … this girl lives in Connecticut.

20. FrancesinGeorgia says:

There is no excuse for this kind of bullying! The community needs to get involved. I am so sorry you are being abused Aly. Wish I knew how to help. I will keep you in my prayers.

21. Mike says:

The Parents of the bullies are the real problem. They need an attitude adjustment.

22. ben says:

The superintendent’s comments sound more like surrender than a solution. They need to take a hard stance. I hope this beautiful young lady understands that these bullies are insecure and trying to elevate themselves by putting her down. I would suspect that many may be jealous of her beauty as well. I know how she feels because I used to be bullied and every day was a struggle.

1. mak says:

WHERE ARE THE PARENTS?!?!?!? It’s not the school’s fault that these kids are acting like animals. The PARENTS should be the ones taking responsiblity for correcting their kids. Why have children if you are just going to pass on discipline problems to other people?

1. Micheal Blevins says:

its a crying shame that the issue is to deal with the school i couldnt agree more here … spare the rod … and , oh thats right go to jail … what is the world coming to ???

23. CHERYL says:

MY DEAR GIRL, YOU ARE NOT ALONE, YOU ARE THE STRONGEST AS IT TAKES GUTS TO DO WHAT YOU JUST DID. YOU HAVE INDEED INNER STRENGTH AND GOD HAS CHOSEN YOU, FOLLOW HIS PATH AND NOT A HAIR ON YOUR HEAD WILL BE TOUCHED. GOD WILL SHIELD YOU AS I KNOW. MY DAUGHTER HAS EXPERIENCED BULLYING IN AMERICA AND NOW IN INDIA AND WE ARE STILL FIGHTING ON CHANGING SYSTEMS AND BRINGING WITH IT COMPASSION, ALL I CAN SAY IS, STAND TALL AS WE ALL WITH YOU, READ THE BIBLE MY GIRL AND GOD WILL SEND TENS OF THOUSANDS OF ANGELS AS YOUR BEST FRIENDS.

24. Alan Foos says:

There are people serving life terms in prison for two of the incidnets I endured between 1955 and 1958, one that left me unconscious for over a month. In both of those cases I’d never met my attacker or knew his name, but every day was a nightmare. This all came about due to an argument my mother had with the school principle and a justice of the peace, but she was right. Decades later, the only certain prediction is that if I bring it up there will be one more secular or Christian counselor pop up to insult me once again and offer his services for a fee. Thanks, but not. The silver lining is that God loves you, and once you meet God, you’ll forget about the rest of it.

25. rantnation says:

Stay in school and remember that the best revenge is living well.

26. Randall Atchison says:

I was not bullied nor was I a bully. I can see why the victims finally snap and comitt acts such as at Columbine! The problem, as I see it, is that we are tought to turn the other cheek and not defend yourself.”Violence solves nothing” we are taught. Being bullied, if nothing else lends itself to a low self estime later on in life, maybe even worse. I am not advocating murder or anything like that, but defending yourself should be encouraged, not detered! I have never seen anyone bully anyone that they know is going to break their nose, be it on the play ground or the bar room!

27. Rick Mcelligott says:

this girl is beautiful and HURTING,thousand of kids and adults deal with this every day, cant we all just stop this. if you see someone being bullied help them, this is a problem that starts with the parenting, if you are being bullied SPEAK OUT, there are people who love you even if they dont know you,

28. Sally says:

The bullies and their parent should be spending most of their academic school day/work time in the psychologist office. As a parent who child has been bullied since elementary school…stop speaking to the choir! Make the bullies parents responsible for the behavior of their children/teen and call them to the school on their time…if out of town request a conference call/video call. I will no longer accept the behavior of bullies and their parents and neither should You!!! Call your SEPTA/PTSA and find out what you can do to stop the negative behavior.

29. Sherri Marton says:

The school superintendent should be embarrassed by his own words. That old school attitude about bullying is part of the problem. How about a zero tolerance policy instead of some idle words about not being mean? Instead of Alye spending her time out of class, in therapy and guidance, how about yanking the problematic, cruel children out of class and send them to therapy? Alye is not the problem and should be assisted in attending class unbothered and not pulled from her education. Shame of the board of education for treating the victim as if she has the problem.

1. Roseann M says:

You are so right! Schools sugar coat this problem. They say they are doing all they can. They have “programs” to teach not to bully, but the guidelines of behavior are so loose and difficult to enforce. Students should be held accountable for their behavior, as well as their parents. I find that the parents don’t care as long as it’s not their kid being bullied. I moved to this “nice” suburban neighborhood 14 years ago because of its well known school district. The taxes are through the roof, but we choose to live here because of the school district. Now I absolutely hate this school district. It took therapy and antidepressants for my daughter to survive middle school. When she graduated from middle school I could NOT send her to the local high school with the same kids who tormented her for the past 3 years. Regardless of the cost, I chose to send her to a private school where discipline is made a priority. I can not tell you how much happier my daughter is now. No more therapy or medication. Now she has friends and no more kids tormenting her. But she is scarred from the past. The kids today don’t bully like when I was a kid. They are so heartless. I don’t know what their parents are teaching or NOT teaching them.

30. JRD says:

Everybody thinks it happens elsewhere but it happens here and there and everywhere. Some of it is probably development, natural (Darwinian?), but much of it has to do with our get-ahead, get-up-on everybody else culture and the explicit and implicit ways that schools (and families) help create and perpetuate it. The social dynamic giveth and the social dynamic taketh away. http://learnmeproject.com/?s=social

31. rcat says:

Parents don’t want to admit their kids can do anything wrong. Until that happens, bullying will continue. Until adults stop being mean to people, their kids will mirror their stupid behavior.

32. TONY F. says:

Alye, it’s great that you did this video and I hope it helps you get the help your seeking; and I have a feeling that it will help others who are being bullied.
    Alye your 13 years old, remember you have your whole life ahead of you and this part of your life will be behind you before you know it; and I bet you will be the one laughing at them in the future, and you should know your a very cute young lady and I can only imagine what you will look like when you get older! Keep your head high and remember their are people who love you..

I hope the wesport board of education takes notice and does something about this situation soon; WAKE UP AND DEAL WITH KIDS BEING BULLIED TAKE A STANCE!

33. Doreen says:

Video was extremely moving. I was bullied in middle school also. In high school I struck back by tormenting the guy who bullied me by finding his Achilles heel and using it (in other words using something he was ultra senstivie about and making fun of it). Guess what? It worked. The bully avoided me like the plague and also got a healthy dose of his own medicine. The BIG bonus: his so-called friends began to make fun of him using my taunts. Yeah baby!! Mission accomplished.

Bottom line: Yes, words hurt! But open YOUR mouth and strike back with your own words.! It works.

34. Tania Esposito says:

Parents can help children understand diversity by exposing them to different kinds of people at an early age. While children need to understand the similarities that bind people together, they also need to learn to embrace differences and view diversity as positive… In social settings, children reveal their prejudicial views most often through name-calling and social exclusion. Bullying is a serious issue. Parents really need to investigate a more and take action – Both sides!!!

35. General says:

America has become a nation of mean, irrational, incompetent and down right
    RUDE people. What happened to civility? What happened to people caring about one another? This young, beautiful girl is getting counseling if you read the papers she held before the camera. It just isn’t enough. Parents/teachers need to show children that there are consequences for their actions/words. Bring back discipline. Bring back the days when a parent could discipline their children without fear of losing their child. This has got to end. These same bullies will grow to be bullies as adults.

36. Sigmund says:

It sounds like you need help….I hope you are not in an abusive relationship. Please seek counseling fast.

37. Robert Lew says:

I have been there ! In Baldwin Junior High on Long Island NY I was verbally bullied in 7th & 8th grade. This was about 50 years ago and I never forgot how it hurt me. In 9th grade it eased up quite a bit. In High School during my sophmore year a guy started in with me in the bathroom with the verbally bullying. I lost it and grabbed him by the neck. Years of torment erupted and I dragged him over to the toilet bowl and stuck his head in the water of the toilet while I was choking him.. I could of easily killed him for I was so over powered with rage. I took his head out and through him on the floor and walked out of the bathroom and that ended years of torment. I had a paper route after school and could not afford to get into trouble; if I didn’t have the paper route I would have physically confronted the number one bully and that might of ended the problem in 7th grade.

Comments are closed.