NTSB: Tour Bus In Fatal Bronx Crash Was Going Almost 78 MPH

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A top federal transportation official said a casino tour bus involved in a crash in The Bronx that killed 15 people was barreling down the highway at up to 78 mph.

WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond on the gap in safety technology between a large tour bus and your simple family minivan

National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Deborah A.P. Hersman disclosed the information during a U.S. Senate committee hearing in Washington on motor coach safety Wednesday.

She said a video camera on the bus’ windshield “did not record the accident.”

The bus crashed March 12 while returning to the city from The Mohegan Sun Casino in Uncasville, Conn. It flipped onto one side and struck a pole, which nearly tore off the roof.

A passenger said in a $200 million lawsuit driver Ophadell Williams was asleep at the wheel.

Williams said he was well-rested and alert. His lawyer hasn’t returned a message seeking comment.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

More from Marla Diamond
Comments

1. angpad 1 says:

ANGEL ..I drove buses and tractor trailers for years , and anyone could sleep behind the wheel, specially on long trips and that early in the morning but you are responsible for those passengers period…

2. Liberty says:

Who’s the lady behind him in the picture?

1. Monifa Blumpkin says:

That’s his wife, Sasquatch.

3. fedup says:

These tour bus-shuttle companys typically pay their drivers minimum wage and they get exactly what they pay for. Just over a week ago on the West Coast one of these shuttle drivers killed himself, two railroad employees and seriously injured a third.

4. Robert Senn says:

lets be honest everyone in this country does78 miles an hour on that road so dont be a hipogrit blame the casio for it pushing booze to all and staying open all hours

1. fedup says:

??? There is no way in hell a bus driver should be going that fast or drinking on the job. It’s called personal responsibility, try it sometime.

5. Ron says:

People need to take responsibility for their actions. Period!

6. Robert says:

If I crashed a bus and killed 15 people, you damn right I would say ” I was well rested and awake.. ” I wouldn’t take responsibilty for that! Maybe before God and myself, but not to the media and the court. No Way

7. Ophadell says:

May as well ‘fess up: my other alias is Sleepy McLedfoot. But I wasn’t sleeping! I was resting my eyes.

Comments are closed.