Traffic Alert: Delays Of Up To 90 Minutes On Henry Hudson Parkway NB | Traffic & Transit |

Yankees Fans Face Potential Blackout Over YES, DirecTV Dispute

NEW YORK (WFAN) — If you were watching the Yankees’ home opener Thursday afternoon, you probably noticed a commercial on YES urging fans to “be heard” in the network’s ongoing contract battle with DirecTV.

An updated video posted to the YES website ominously states, “Attention DirecTV subscribers: The YES Network’s current agreement with DirecTV expires tonight. Starting tomorrow you may lose your entire season of Yankees baseball on YES.

“We’ve been working diligently towards new deal but despite our continued negotiations, DirecTV may cease to carry the YES network. We’re doing everything we can to resolve this situation and ensure a full season of Yankees baseball on YES.”

As of 11:59 p.m. Friday, the TV home of the Yankees and Nets will be without an agreement with DirectTV. Whether YES will actually be pulled off the air is unclear.

“DIRECTV plans to keep the channel up while we conclude these negotiations,” said the satellite provider in a statement. “However, if the channel should go dark for any reason, make no mistake that it was solely the decision of YES Network to take the channel away from DIRECTV customers.”

The statement continues, “If YES Network goes dark, MLB Extra Innings and NBA League Pass customers will continue to see Yankees and Nets games but will not have access to the YES Network feed. In most instances DirecTV will provide the opposing team’s feed for these packages. If you receive YES Network as your local RSN, unfortunately these games will not be available.”

The YES Network responded on Thursday: “We are negotiating in good faith with DirecTV in hopes of resolving this matter quickly.”

DirectTV asserts YES wants fees that are “significantly higher” than what traditional cable providers pay.

“This will get resolved if YES agrees that DIRECTV should pay the same amount as the other three dominant TV providers in the market (Comcast, Time Warner & Cablevision),” the company said. “DIRECTV customers should not be forced to pay a penny more for YES Network.”

Yankees fans with DirecTV, let your voice be heard in the comments below!

Comments

1. Tony says:

I in live South Florida as well and the ONLY reason I have DIrecTV is to watch my Yankees on YES. I called Direct and they informed me that the only way I can see the Yankees is if I buy MLB season package. They mentioned nothing regarding the contract negotiations.

2. Wayne says:

The only reason I have directives for the Yes Network. If they take it off the air, I will go elsewhere, and get rid of directive.

3. SCOTT says:

IT IS TIME FOR DIRECTV AND YES NETWORK TO MAKE AGREEMENT. I AM A YANKEES FAN. I WILL LEAVE DIRECTV IF YES IS DROP. SO PLEASE DIRECTV JUST SIGN TODAY ON TUESDAY APRIL 5 2011. AN I WILL AND ALL OF US WILL BE HAPPY AGAIN. IF WE HAVE TO PAY MORE THAN WILL HAVE PAY MORE. SO DIRECTV CALL UP YES NETWORK AND AGREE. JUST DO RIGHT NOW PLEASE. I REALLY LOVE DIRECTV. PLEASE DON’T MAKE ME CHANGE.

4. Julie Hassler says:

it is all about MONEY ….to bad it always comes down to this ….the great american sport has now turned to GREED just like everything else we use to enjoy in our spare time , what has me upset is the FOX network using the football theme music and using it for baseball ARE YOU KIDDING ME bad move FOX and the announcers I can do with out …so I come on the computer looking for 1010 wins or another radio station to have the game on and NO LUCK at that either …… as for the D-TV issue with YES I guess you made my decision a lot easier why should I be paying 12.99 a month for the sports package to have it for the sole purpose of these games , well D-TV decision made I am going to COMCAST their MLB ticket is also 30 bucks less ! WTG D TV another customer lost

5. Claude says:

Being on the outside looking in, I’m on DTV’s side. If YES wins, it means higher rates to the customer. That’s my bottom line. We already pay plenty.

1. Scott S says:

Contact the Yes feedback page…Let your voices be heard!

6. Yaholom K. says:

Its not coming back.
    At least not until the season really heats up and the games are crucial to playoff rankings.

7. diann says:

Forget this issue, and just get the Yankee games off of WCBS and return us our NEWS station. (The station also owns WFAN, that’s where the games belong…)

8. bestmomwarner says:

retired, don’t have the money to play their games. back to the back porch and my trusty radio

1. Julie Hassler says:

and soon enough they will make sure NO GAMES are on radio cause that is still free FOR NOW

9. Nick says:

If YES gets blacked out and I can’t see the YES feed on extra innings, i’ll be cancelling directv and getting extra innings on comcast or fios.

1. Scott S says:

I will do the same

10. mo says:

When are you guys going to wake up and realize that pro sports are taking all of you as a bunch of chumps? YOU GUYS ARE THE ONES FOOTING THE BILL FOR THIS!!! But every one of you follow these teams like a bunch of sheep and will continue to feed the coffers. It’s funny how you act like this is the end all to everything but if the players saw you on the street they wouldn’t give you the time of day. You wouldn’t even be able to get near one without a bodyguard giving you a hard time. Suckers … each and every one of you.

11. Matt says:

Time Warner Cable played the same game almost 9 years ago when I switched to Directv. If YES is blacked out, on Directv I’ll finally respond to one those obnoxious FIOS mailings.and switch again.

12. Fred V says:

Time Warner customer now… I left Directv after two years of promises that the YES network was soon going to be included… They lied to me on a weekly basis…

Comments are closed.